Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Who do you think is the most likely candidate to 'fill' Xavi's role once he retires, VI?

Iniesta? Fabregas? Thiago?

I am not VI but i think it will eventually be Thiago tbh, hes the closest thing to Xavi out of those 3 with some Brazilian flair thrown in......

Iniesta is more like Zidane and Fabregas is nothing like Xavi and his time at Barca has proved it hes much more direct and rather than being a midfield general he likes to be in the final third of the pitch either providing the final pass or scoring a goal.

A wildcard id throw in is Sergio Busquets he reminds me of a young Xavi in lots of ways, but i do think it will eventually be Thiago.

From his times with the kids I had Thiago penned as an attacking midfielder, but Guardiola has played him deeper and he has adapted admirably. He was always looking for the Hollywood ball or the wonder goal in years prior, but now he's so much more composed and patient, he really has matured a lot in just a single year and I really look forward to his development. He's the closest thing to a Xavi successor we have.

Huh?

I'm sure we had a similar debate (Zizou vs whoever) last summer, where it was proclaimed that Xavi is better than Zidane ever was :lol:

What, me and you?

Far as I'm aware this is the first time we've ever spoken to each other outside the NFL thread. :lol:

No, I meant "we" as in the forum :lol: :doh:

Can never understand why people only talk of attacking players when they discuss 'the greatest ever' or 'best player in the world' :/

Areet George Graham, taken any bungs recently?

Can never really understand why people only talk of attacking players when they discuss 'the greatest ever' or 'best player in the world' :/

Areet George Graham, taken bungs recently?

Is it not because attacking players generally produce moments of brilliance to win a game; whereas a defensive player, by nature, is there to protect his own goal.

Can never really understand why people only talk of attacking players when they discuss 'the greatest ever' or 'best player in the world' :/

Fact is almost all with skill and flair will end up as forwards and midfielders while defenders are there to be the antagonists, to stop those with more skill.

The greatest defenders of all time are masters of their art; the reading of the game, timing of the challenge etc but at the end of the day people pay their money to watch those with skill, technique and natural ability.

Areet George Graham, taken bungs recently?

Is it not because attacking players generally produce moments of brilliance to win a game; whereas a defensive player, by nature, is there to protect his own goal.

Der Kaiser did both which is why he's my vote for the best player of all time. He would have been an all time great in any position whereas someone like Maradona would have been pretty hopeless in defence.

They're the same type of player, Xavi is just that bit better at everything than Alonso.

No way Alonso is as good man.

Yeah, this is my opinion, too. When I mentioned 'similar quality', I meant that they're very close but Xavi is just better than Alonso at everything, not that they're equally good. My phrasing has just been pathetic today. :lol:

I fucking love Alonso, though, so this may cloud my judgment.

He's classy as hell and doesn't look out of place - at all - in the Spanish midfield playing with Iniesta and Xavi. That's why I rate him very highly.

Guest NufcBano

It's starting to annoy me how ITV and others are just claiming Messi is the greatest by far...

They are aware of Ronaldo aren't they? You know, that lad who has help turn Madrid into a force, who broke the La Liga all time scoring record in a single season, and who has got to 100 goals in the quickest time ever of just 90-odd games....?!!

Im not saying Ronny is better, but to ignore him totally is ridiculous.

I'd like to see Messi do what Ronaldo has done in 2 different teams in different countries...

just saying.

Guest NufcBano

Turned them into a force?  :lol:

In 3 years all they've won is the Copa Del Rey.

Erm, yes. Comfortably top of the league ahead of the all conquering Barca. Comfortably in the Semi's of champs lge.

They are now a force again.

No?

Can you imagine if Messi went to Man City or Man Utd and in 3 years only won the league or FA Cup?  You'd never hear the end of "He's shit, can't do it in 2 leagues!!"  Ronaldo does the equivalent and he's hailed as a force. 

Not trying to take anything away from Ronaldo's brilliance as I thnk he's fucking class, but as of yet all he's done for Madrid is be an unreal goalscorer.  You can't say he's conquered Spain if he isn't winning trophies.  Been all about himself and not the team.  Messi's been scoring just as many, aswell as winning league titles and champions leagues.

Guest NufcBano

Can you imagine if Messi went to Man City or Man Utd and in 3 years only won the league or FA Cup?  You'd never hear the end of "He's s***, can't do it in 2 leagues!!"  Ronaldo does the equivalent and he's hailed as a force. 

Not trying to take anything away from Ronaldo's brilliance as I thnk he's f***ing class, but as of yet all he's done for Madrid is be an unreal goalscorer.  You can't say he's conquered Spain if he isn't winning trophies.  Been all about himself and not the team.  Messi's been scoring just as many, aswell as winning league titles and champions leagues.

I think you mis-understand what a force is.

Before Ronaldo, and of course Mourinho, Madrid were very much 2nd best. No chance of the league and defo no chance of the champs lge...

...they now are in with more than a chance. They are now a force to be reckoned with. How can you not understand this?

haha

P.S. Just like now Man City are force to be reckoned with....you see?

Turned them into a force?  :lol:

In 3 years all they've won is the Copa Del Rey.

Erm, yes. Comfortably top of the league ahead of the all conquering Barca. Comfortably in the Semi's of champs lge.

They are now a force again.

No?

If they win the Champions League, aye.

If they only win La La I wouldn't go calling them a force just yet.  First title in 4 years and would be mostly down to Barcelona's shit away form.  They should be more than 6 points ahead.

Guest guinness_fiend

Can you imagine if Messi went to Man City or Man Utd and in 3 years only won the league or FA Cup?  You'd never hear the end of "He's s***, can't do it in 2 leagues!!"  Ronaldo does the equivalent and he's hailed as a force. 

Not trying to take anything away from Ronaldo's brilliance as I thnk he's f***ing class, but as of yet all he's done for Madrid is be an unreal goalscorer.  You can't say he's conquered Spain if he isn't winning trophies.  Been all about himself and not the team.  Messi's been scoring just as many, aswell as winning league titles and champions leagues.

I think you mis-understand what a force is.

Before Ronaldo, and of course Mourinho, Madrid were very much 2nd best. No chance of the league and defo no chance of the champs lge...

...they now are in with more than a chance. They are now a force to be reckoned with. How can you not understand this?

haha

P.S. Just like now Man City are force to be reckoned with....you see?

Ronaldo, whilst being an attacking force, does not offer Real Madrid anywhere near the attributes that Messi offers Barcelona.  Ronaldo's assists are woeful, he doesn't tend to create much in games (other than for himself) and other than a couple of notable exceptions, is typically a big game bottler.

Plus, at Real, they are not reliant upon Ronaldo to score goals.  Everyone is chipping in.  Barca, this season, have been largely reliant upon Messi to be the driving force behind everything they do.

The players that have made a difference for Real Madrid this season are players such as Özil, who have come into their own under Mourinho and have bought into his style of play.   

Compared to Messi, Ronaldo-lite is all fur coat and no knickers.

(The *real* Ronaldo, however, was a different story)