Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Cronaldo is absolutely one of the best ever for me. Messi is a class above, but fucking hell, Ronaldos level is absolutely incredible and I think it does speak a lot that he's done it in England as well. 42 in 47 the year we won the CL. The tag that he doesn't score in big games was incredibly off the mark as well. Someone else also said he doesn't have an all round game? That is lunacy. He is a physical machine who scores a massive amount of goals, is lightning fast, can cross, can dribble, can take free kicks, can score penalties and can head the ball extremely well.

He's getting under-rated now because of Messi, which is nothing but stupidity. Of course he's one of the best ever.

:lol: the bit in bold

first part was a fact 'til recently, second part you're only listing physical/individual attributes really and "crossing" which he's never been noted for

cronaldo is an amazing physical specimen with fantastic footwork and finishing for his size, but that's literally it...he is several leagues below the likes of messi in terms of all round game

Fucking hell.

sorry but am i wrong?  he scores insane amounts of goals, crazy amounts, but that's all you get from him

not saying there's anything wrong with that, he's just not in the league of messi etc.

I think you were originally describing Gareth Bale.

The reason he scores a crazy amount of goals is because he's not just a superior physical specimen with fast footwork and finishing for his size. His positioning is excellent and he's one of the best (if not the best) in the world at using his pace and timing his runs, he has an excellent footballing brain. The rest of his game is also way above average.

He isn't as good as Messi, but he is one of the best footballers we've ever seen.

no, personally i don't agree agree with this at all

He was the best player in the Premiership by an absolute distance for 2-3 years until he left, he's the 9th top goalscorer in Champions League history, and will likely make the top 3 before he retires, winner of the Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Footballer of the Year and the European Golden Shoe twice. Most goals in a season ever for Madrid, in the league, in the Champions League and in all comps combined. etc etc, the list goes on. He's a phenomenal footballer.

It is all relative to the scope in which you consider a player "one of the best" like.

Cronaldo is absolutely one of the best ever for me. Messi is a class above, but fucking hell, Ronaldos level is absolutely incredible and I think it does speak a lot that he's done it in England as well. 42 in 47 the year we won the CL. The tag that he doesn't score in big games was incredibly off the mark as well. Someone else also said he doesn't have an all round game? That is lunacy. He is a physical machine who scores a massive amount of goals, is lightning fast, can cross, can dribble, can take free kicks, can score penalties and can head the ball extremely well.

He's getting under-rated now because of Messi, which is nothing but stupidity. Of course he's one of the best ever.

first part was a fact 'til recently, second part you're only listing physical/individual attributes really and "crossing" which he's never been noted for

cronaldo is an amazing physical specimen with fantastic footwork and finishing for his size, but that's literally it...he is several leagues below the likes of messi in terms of all round game

Fucking hell.

sorry but am i wrong?  he scores insane amounts of goals, crazy amounts, but that's all you get from him

not saying there's anything wrong with that, he's just not in the league of messi etc.

I think you were originally describing Gareth Bale.

The reason he scores a crazy amount of goals is because he's not just a superior physical specimen with fast footwork and finishing for his size. His positioning is excellent and he's one of the best (if not the best) in the world at using his pace and timing his runs, he has an excellent footballing brain. The rest of his game is also way above average.

He isn't as good as Messi, but he is one of the best footballers we've ever seen.

no, personally i don't agree agree with this at all

He was the best player in the Premiership by an absolute distance for 2-3 years until he left, he's the 9th top goalscorer in Champions League history, and will likely make the top 3 before he retires, winner of the Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Footballer of the Year and the European Golden Shoe twice. Most goals in a season ever for Madrid, in the league, in the Champions League and in all comps combined. etc etc, the list goes on. He's a phenomenal footballer.

It is all relative to the scope if which you consider a player "one of the best" like.

he's a phenomenal goalscorer and will be remembered as such, he will not be remembered as a phenomenal footballer i'm afraid

I don't see how anyone can say Ronaldo is better than Messi.  But at the same time, I think he gets a raw deal because Messi is much better and doesn't seem as much of a twat as Ronaldo.  He's the best of the rest and by some distance as well.

He's not a very likeable character though is he?  He has a punchable face and even his voice is irritating.  He looks like an utter twat when he celebrates, he skips about like a right fruit and often looks close to tears when he doesn't get a decision in his favour. 

I do genuinely think people underate him because he's seemingly a bit of a cunt :lol:

I don't see how anyone can say Ronaldo is better than Messi.  But at the same time, I think he gets a raw deal because Messi is much better and doesn't seem as much of a twat as Ronaldo.  He's the best of the rest and by some distance as well.

He's not a very likeable character though is he?  He has a punchable face and even his voice is irritating.  He looks like an utter twat when he celebrates, he skips about like a right fruit and often looks close to tears when he doesn't get a decision in his favour. 

I do genuinely think people underate him because he's seemingly a bit of a cunt :lol:

Don't think anyone is saying he is better than Messi. What's being discussed is if he would have been seen as one of the best ever had it not been for Messi.

I agree with you that people underrate him because he acts like a right prick on the pitch, he certainly isn't a likeable player like Messi, Iniesta or Xavi.

Well that's a shame, considering he is a phenomenal footballer :lol:

you appear to be the only one not getting it but anyway, carry on

What am I not getting? Your absurd logic that goalscorers aren't proper footballers or something? Even if we were to wrongly pigeon hole Ronaldo as being an out and out poacher and nothing else, his goalscoring record is one of the best ever, which I think sort of qualifies him to be justified as a phenomenal footballer.

Well that's a shame, considering he is a phenomenal footballer :lol:

you appear to be the only one not getting it but anyway, carry on

What am I not getting? You're absurd logic that goalscorers aren't proper footballers or something? Even if we were to wrongly pigeon hole Ronaldo as being an out and out poacher and nothing else, his goalscoring record is one of the best ever, which I think sort of qualifies him to be justified as a phenomenal footballer.

it's not just me, read the thread dude

i've already said multiple times in this thread i think he's a phenomenal goalscorer and that's where i'll stop

He doesn't have that talent about him, he's more of a machine. Also love how you put 'can score penalties' as a positive thing. Dude, anyone can score penalties ffs.

Nonsense. Are you saying there isn't an art to taking penalties? There is a reason Rooney takes our penalties and not Rafael. There's a reason Arteta takes the penalties for Arsenal and not Mertesacker. When he played in the EPL, Ronaldo took something like ten penalties in a row that were ALL in the bottom left corner. The goalkeeper knew it was going there, everyone in the stadium knew it was going there, but it was hit with such precision and pace and it was unstoppable.

Ronaldo takes incredible penalties. It is absolutely a plus point and something that warrants inclusion in regards to rating a footballer.

Watch a typical Real Madrid game. Ronaldo's only real way of getting past people is using his raw pace, i.e. requiring space. He doesn't have anywhere near the same skill as other greats have had at changing direction in small spaces and thus creating chances.

Actually, Froggy, you've said it better than I could. He's a physical machine. And that, somewhat oddly, is why he isn't one of the very greatest.

Agree with you almost everything Neil except this. In the last few seasons Ronaldo has bulked up and put on a lot of muscle which has restricted his movement a little, but he still has a lot of skill and more than enough to beat players, which we have seen on numerous occasions. This aspect on his game is absolutely nowhere near the likes of Messi and Iniesta, but it's still top class IMO. In fact, in his earlier years at us he only seen as a trickster who tried to beat opponents. His skill was mental, just back in those days his end product wasn't great.

This one is obviously debatable enough though, unlike the penalty argument.

cronaldo is an amazing physical specimen with fantastic footwork and finishing for his size, but that's literally it...

This is a really poor comment IMO. The first part isn't recent at all. Off the top of my head, he scored important goals in the league against Arsenal, Chelsea and City in his first few years with us. 2008 CL final he scored the opener. Two goals in the Club World Club final later in the year. The year after we got the final and he scored crucial goals in the knockouts against Inter and the winner (voted goal of the year) against Porto.

International wise he scored in the Euro 2004 semi. Voted in team of the tournament aged 19. He's basically carried Portugal to all of the tournaments as well, scoring a massive amount in each of the qualifying campaigns. Joint top scorer in Euro 2012 and team of the tournament again.

He scores in big games. It was a completely off the mark claim. He's show this by scoring the winner in the Copa del Rey and consecutive Clasicos.

Ronaldo not a phenomenal footballer? :lol:

So there is one, and only one phenomenal footballer on the planet?

This sums it up perfectly. It's just a case of people being so spellbound by Messi that they're forgetting there's another couple of geniuses in the footballing World.

I'm actually disgusted that some people think he's just a powerful guy who hits the ball really hard. Fucking hell man. The guy is magic.

They could use Iniesta videos as therapy on me like... I could watch him play for days.

:thup:

After Ben Arfa, he's my favourite player to watch in the world.

As for him and Zidane, aye. They're on par. Again, it's a case of Iniesta being part of a generation/team of remarkable players that makes people forget him in those circumstances.

I for one rate him above Xavi every day of the week.

He doesn't have that talent about him, he's more of a machine. Also love how you put 'can score penalties' as a positive thing. Dude, anyone can score penalties ffs.

Nonsense. Are you saying there isn't an art to taking penalties? There is a reason Rooney takes our penalties and not Rafael. There's a reason Arteta takes the penalties for Arsenal and not Mertesacker. When he played in the EPL, Ronaldo took something like ten penalties in a row that were ALL in the bottom left corner. The goalkeeper knew it was going there, everyone in the stadium knew it was going there, but it was hit with such precision and pace and it was unstoppable.

Ronaldo takes incredible penalties. It is absolutely a plus point and something that warrants inclusion in regards to rating a footballer.

:lol: You must be kidding me. There is an 'art' to taking penalties? :lol: Guys I think we need to put Shola as one of the greatest ever since he has managed to be so great at one of these 'arts'.

Ronaldo is better than Fat Ronaldo and Romario. I'd take him over those two in a greatness argument, one because of injury and the other just because Romario never had a peak like Cristiano's.

:lol:

Laughable argument. I mean you can never have watched enough of Romario. I think you could ask VI about this, but the man didn't give a s*** about training or effort. He would just come into games and score goals. And you probably aren't a big fan of the World Cup because you never see your country in it. In the end, except in this forum, most people consider it the greatest tournament of them all. That's why it's the biggest sporting event in the World and always has been.

He scores in big games. It was a completely off the mark claim. He's show this by scoring the winner in the Copa del Rey and consecutive Clasicos.

He actually holds the record at scoring in 6 consecutive Clasicos.

Big game flop.  :whistle:

Guest firetotheworks

Messi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ronaldo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Iniesta.

Check out my forum name. How old are you? What's your name? Where do you live?

:lol:

You're Swedish aren't you? I recognize your name from the old magpies.nu forums.

Just to get the context of your views on Ronaldo, how do you rate him in comparison to Zlatan for example?

Ronaldo not a phenomenal footballer? :lol:

So there is one, and only one phenomenal footballer on the planet?

i think this whole thing is largely an argument over semantics, i consider cronaldo to be a phenomenal goalscorer but not a phenomenal footballer, it's my understanding of the term meaning he'd need more to his game than i believe he does

think of it this way; if you took cronaldo & messi in whatever team you like and told them they were only able to play their game in the middle third of the pitch what do you think would happen?  my personal belief is that messi would adapt and in no time at all be running games from that position, whereas i think cronaldo would really, really struggle with it