Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

That said, if I'm so wrong, do explain how it's not a symbolic act for a footballer to take home a ball used in a match where he's scored a hat-trick. It's a memory of the time he scored a hat-trick. If he scored all, one or none of the goals in the match with the ball he's taking home doesn't make it any less symbolic for the player as the intended purpose is either to serve as a memory of the event and/or showcasing it as a symbol of said event.

Well no, because the conversation was about the actual ball vs just any one of multiple balls from a match. Any one of multiple balls from a match is symbolic, the actual one isn't, it's the real thing. The difference between 'I scored a hattrick with that football vs Real Madrid' and 'I scored a hattrick Vs Real Madrid, possibly with that football and one or two other footballs'

But the entire act of taking a commemorative ball home in the first place is a wholly symbolic gesture, is Kaiz's point. There's no practical function to it. There's nothing special about the ball used to score a hat-trick, except for the symbolic meaning invested in it.

There's nothing special about the ball used to score a hattrick? Of course there is, it's the actual ball, that's the whole point that was made. There's no symbolism, because it's not symbolic of the real thing, it is the real thing. Kaiz's mistaken what the conversation was about.

For evidence of the difference, look at the price difference between match worn shirts and replica shirts.

As Ian W said, what matters is that the ball was used in the game. Not that all goals were scored with the same ball. If that was as important as you and Dinho insists, then why do hat-trick scorers still take a ball with them and display it? You take it to commemorate the time you scored a hat-trick, you don’t take it because that was the ball you scored a hat-trick with. The ball is only symbolic of the match where the incident happened, and serves as a reminder of the event.

It hasn’t changed any meaning though, as it’s always been symbolic.

What about medals?

They’re inherently symbolic. There’s participation medals/trophies as well you know. Best participant.

Useless example. The ball has something 'special' about it.

It was a ball that was used in a match. The rock is a rock i was looking at having a great time.

It’s essentially the same as we as humans invest the symbolism. You’re investing more symbolism into the hat-trick ball souvenir than the actual footballers are.

3F60C53A00000578-4424504-Cristiano_Ronaldo_poses_with_his_glass_cabinet_of_match_balls-a-2_1492599714687.jpg

Look at how sad Ronaldo is because his collection of hat-trick match balls aren’t from one ball matches. Clearly these balls do not symbolise the same thing for a footballer as the ball from a one ball match.

3F60C53A00000578-4424504-Cristiano_Ronaldo_poses_with_his_glass_cabinet_of_match_balls-a-2_1492599714687.jpg

Look at how sad Ronaldo is because his collection of hat-trick match balls aren’t from one ball matches. Clearly these balls do not symbolise the same thing for a footballer as the ball from a one ball match.

My response is above.

I'd put a bet anytime that the players are doing it for the 'materialistic' reason rather than the 'philosophical' reason.

Of course they bring home a ball out of vanity (unless you’re Michael Owen who doesn’t let anyone else into his «trophy» room :lol:). It’s a symbolic item.

Fwiw, the argument is long over as Dinho only wanted to have it confirmed it was symbolic that they took the ball home. It is symbolic. That’s why they bring the ball home. No idea what Dinho is trying to do now.

Guest firetotheworks

That said, if I'm so wrong, do explain how it's not a symbolic act for a footballer to take home a ball used in a match where he's scored a hat-trick. It's a memory of the time he scored a hat-trick. If he scored all, one or none of the goals in the match with the ball he's taking home doesn't make it any less symbolic for the player as the intended purpose is either to serve as a memory of the event and/or showcasing it as a symbol of said event.

Well no, because the conversation was about the actual ball vs just any one of multiple balls from a match. Any one of multiple balls from a match is symbolic, the actual one isn't, it's the real thing. The difference between 'I scored a hattrick with that football vs Real Madrid' and 'I scored a hattrick Vs Real Madrid, possibly with that football and one or two other footballs'

But the entire act of taking a commemorative ball home in the first place is a wholly symbolic gesture, is Kaiz's point. There's no practical function to it. There's nothing special about the ball used to score a hat-trick, except for the symbolic meaning invested in it.

There's nothing special about the ball used to score a hattrick? Of course there is, it's the actual ball, that's the whole point that was made. There's no symbolism, because it's not symbolic of the real thing, it is the real thing. Kaiz's mistaken what the conversation was about.

For evidence of the difference, look at the price difference between match worn shirts and replica shirts.

As Ian W said, what matters is that the ball was used in the game. Not that all goals were scored with the same ball. If that was as important as you and Dinho insists, then why do hat-trick scorers still take a ball with them and display it? You take it to commemorate the time you scored a hat-trick, you don’t take it because that was the ball you scored a hat-trick with. The ball is only symbolic of the match where the incident happened, and serves as a reminder of the event.

It's not for you to decide on what matters. [emoji38] If I was a footballer I'd want the actual football if I had the choice, that's why the price of a match worn shirt Vs replica shirt point makes sense, because it's a mental thing where you look at something and know that it was involved rather than symbolically, which means less universally. It's a very easy to understand point that I know you understand, but keep ignoring for whatever reason. Either way, Godspeed, we're boring the living shit out of everyone.