Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

If it's now a symbolic act, then fair enough.

In what world would you ever think it's not? FFS :lol:

in the old days i think they used one ball most of the times.

But don't let allowing yourself to think about it for a moment stop you from jumping on it for the lols; life's too short.

Depends what competition, English football doesn't use multi-ball so it's generally the same ball unless something happens to it. Obviously I know the above post is about the World Cup.

If it's now a symbolic act, then fair enough.

In what world would you ever think it's not? FFS :lol:

in the old days i think they used one ball most of the times.

But don't let allowing yourself to think about it for a moment stop you from jumping on it for the lols; life's too short.

It's always been a fucking symbolic act. That there's multi-ball systems in use in certain competitions now doesn't change that. It's literally always been symbolism ffs.

That said, if I'm so wrong, do explain how it's not a symbolic act for a footballer to take home a ball used in a match where he's scored a hat-trick. It's a memory of the time he scored a hat-trick. If he scored all, one or none of the goals in the match with the ball he's taking home doesn't make it any less symbolic for the player as the intended purpose is either to serve as a memory of the event and/or showcasing it as a symbol of said event.

That said, if I'm so wrong, do explain how it's not a symbolic act for a footballer to take home a ball used in a match where he's scored a hat-trick. It's a memory of the time he scored a hat-trick. If he scored all, one or none of the goals in the match with the ball he's taking home doesn't make it any less symbolic for the player as the intended purpose is either to serve as a memory of the event and/or showcasing it as a symbol of said event.

Are medals symbolic gesture or the prize for the players' performances?

Jesus fucking christ.

Definition of symbolism

1 : the art or practice of using symbols especially by investing things with a symbolic meaning or by expressing the invisible or intangible by means of visible or sensuous representations: such as

a : artistic imitation or invention that is a method of revealing or suggesting immaterial, ideal, or otherwise intangible truth or states

b : the use of conventional or traditional signs in the representation of divine beings and spirits

Jesus fucking christ.

Definition of symbolism

1 : the art or practice of using symbols especially by investing things with a symbolic meaning or by expressing the invisible or intangible by means of visible or sensuous representations: such as

a : artistic imitation or invention that is a method of revealing or suggesting immaterial, ideal, or otherwise intangible truth or states

b : the use of conventional or traditional signs in the representation of divine beings and spirits

This doesn't prove that football players do it for for symbolism. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Well no, because the conversation was about the actual ball vs just any one of multiple balls from a match. Any one of multiple balls from a match is symbolic, the actual one isn't, it's the real thing. The difference between 'I scored a hattrick with that football vs Real Madrid' and 'I scored a hattrick Vs Real Madrid, possibly with that football and one or two other footballs'

Well no, because the conversation was about the actual ball vs just any one of multiple balls from a match. Any one of multiple balls from a match is symbolic, the actual one isn't, it's the real thing. The difference between 'I scored a hattrick with that football vs Real Madrid' and 'I scored a hattrick Vs Real Madrid, possibly with that football and one or two other footballs'

But the entire act of taking a commemorative ball home in the first place is a wholly symbolic gesture, is Kaiz's point. There's no practical function to it. There's nothing special about the ball used to score a hat-trick, except for the symbolic meaning invested in it.

But the entire act of taking a commemorative ball home in the first place is a wholly symbolic gesture, is Kaiz's point. There's no practical function to it. There's nothing special about the ball used to score a hat-trick, except for the symbolic meaning invested in it.

:thup:

:lol: You're simply repeating the argument.

The ball is 'special' because it was that ball that a hat-rick was scored with - assuming it's correct that in previous eras only one ball was used (I might be wrong about it, but that's the impression that I'm under).

Anyway, what about winners' medals, Kaizero? Symbolic or the prize? (And no, you didn't answer this question appropriately).

Guest firetotheworks

There's nothing special about the ball used to score a hattrick? Of course there is, it's the actual ball, that's the whole point that was made. There's no symbolism, because it's not symbolic of the real thing, it is the real thing. Kaiz's mistaken what the conversation was about.

For evidence of the difference, look at the price difference between match worn shirts and replica shirts.