Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

• 1 month later...

Why do we, as football fans, pronounce places as we imagine the locals do in a football sense but then back to English in a geographical sense, ie "I'm off to Paris to see Paree San Jerman"

Why do we, as football fans, pronounce places as we imagine the locals do in a football sense but then back to English in a geographical sense, ie "I'm off to Paris to see Paree San Jerman"

Most don't.

Most don't.

Oooooh yes they do, I'm thinking really of PSG and Sevilla.

It's nothing to do with pronunciation I'm pretty sure. Seville is the English name of the city, but the football club is called Sevilla, using the Spanish name. So you don't change it.

Same goes for Torino, Roma, Napoli etc.

It's nothing to do with pronunciation I'm pretty sure. Seville is the English name of the city, but the football club is called Sevilla, using the Spanish name. So you don't change it.

But the football club is named after the city, no ?

Who the f*** says Paree? :lol:

Do you say Paris Saint Germain ? No. you say Paree Sanjerman.

With an undoubtedly atrocious accent that makes it worse than if you had simply pronounced "Paris Saint Germain" like a proper Englishman.

Who the f*** says Paree? :lol:

Do you say Paris Saint Germain ? No. you say Paree Sanjerman.

With an undoubtedly atrocious accent that makes it worse than if you had simply pronounced "Paris Saint Germain" like a proper Englishman.

exackerly.

It is, but it's a separate entity. Genova is the Italian name for the city, but the club uses the English name Genoa, so you don't change it.

It is, but it's a separate entity. Genova is the Italian name for the city, but the club uses the English name Genoa, so you don't change it back.

In that one case yes but the others aren't are they ?

People do it with words outside the names of football clubs too. There's a technical term for the brief attempt at an accent for a foreign word in the middle of your sentences but the name escapes me.

People do it with words outside the names of football clubs too. There's a technical term for the brief attempt at an accent for a foreign word in the middle of your sentences but the name escapes me.

SteveMcClarenitis?

It is, but it's a separate entity. Genova is the Italian name for the city, but the club uses the English name Genoa, so you don't change it back.

In that one case yes but the others aren't are they ?

I'm lost with what you're talking about here. Cities have different names, depending on language, because they are centuries old and fluid. Football club's are limited companies, who have an official name that is fixed.

Internazionale Milano

AC Milan

One uses the English name, the other the Italian. You don't ever call AC Milan: 'Milano', because while its an alternative name for the city, it is not an alternative name for the football club.