Arsene Wenger

Parky

When RVP gets crocked as he does every season, they will be in league sliding trouble.

RVP is usually crocked by now

I know. Where is the croque monsuir??

Waiting for the transfer window to slam shut.

Cunning.

If Man Utd went 6 years without a trophy then I'm pretty sure Fergie would be told to move upstairs.  Why is it different with Wenger & Arsenal ???

Arsenal have been left behind financially by Man U, Chelsea and Man City. For that reason, they're struggling to land the top players and keep the ones that they've developed. As it is, Wenger has done well to keep them competitive.

What they must hope is that the combination of Fergie retiring and financial fair play kicking in will bring those three within reach.

Guest neesy111

If Man Utd went 6 years without a trophy then I'm pretty sure Fergie would be told to move upstairs.  Why is it different with Wenger & Arsenal ???

Arsenal have been left behind financially by Man U, Chelsea and Man City. For that reason, they're struggling to land the top players and keep the ones that they've developed. As it is, Wenger has done well to keep them competitive.

What they must hope is that the combination of Fergie retiring and financial fair play kicking in will bring those three within reach.

They've had money in the bank to spend big for quite a while, Arsenal & Wenger have both said there is money to spend.  It's the fact Wenger is unwilling to spend it which is the biggest issue.

On turnover alone arsenal are the 4th richest club in the world.  Generate more match-day income than any club in the world.

They've had money in the bank to spend big for quite a while, Arsenal & Wenger have both said there is money to spend.  It's the fact Wenger is unwilling to spend it which is the biggest issue.

On turnover alone arsenal are the 4th richest club in the world.  Generate more match-day income than any club in the world.

I think the situation with Arsenal is a bit complicated because whilst their match-day income and other commercial spin-offs have been good, they've been boosted by the sales of property in the old Highbury, and that source is now drying up. They also have the stadium debt on the Emirates to think about.

The big problem seems to be wages, which is at the root of their losing Nasri, Adebayor, Fabregas, Toure etc. Chelsea and Man City have artificially inflated that part of the market through using oil-money from outside. Only Man U can keep up, with their enormous income stream. Wenger has had to take a chance on bringing in younger players.

The alternative is to pay big money to bring in established players who aren't much better than the ones he's developing himself. I'd say generally he's sound in not going down that route.

Previously they were able to bring in the likes of Bergkamp, and keep the likes of Henry. That wouldn't be possible now.

I asked some Arsenal fans on another forum about this a while ago and this was the response:

£160m [cash in the bank] in the last accounts I think. But the majority of that is there to service the debt and is not available to be spent. The Swiss Ramble estimated that there might be 50m available after the summer dealings which would be available for transfer fees and wages.

The issue the club has at the moment is that the wage bill is too big. We could afford to pay reasonably big transfer fees, but could we afford to lock ourselves in to big contracts for the next three, four or five years?

Seems they hold their cash for debt servicing and their biggest problem is splashing huge wages on mediocre players who so far haven't performed.  They desperately need to get rid of some of their deadwood to free up some wage money for signings I think.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

Look at his net expenditure. Do you not think he would have rather brought in someone else over arteta to replace fabregas? He is restricted by his board, and the need to make money...

Nope.  He and the Arsenal board have pretty much said there has always been money to spend.

He's too stubborn in his philosophy.

Guest bimpy474

Look at his net expenditure. Do you not think he would have rather brought in someone else over arteta to replace fabregas? He is restricted by his board, and the need to make money...

Not according to Arsenal fans i know, money was there but he just refused to spend it.