Arsene Wenger

Parky

Given his affinity to bringing youth through the club, I would imagine someone like Wenger would be good for England, someone who could probably do a Klinsman type job, that is if he can make the transition for club football to international.

Given his affinity to bringing youth through the club, I would imagine someone like Wenger would be good for England, someone who could probably do a Klinsman type job

:sweetjesus:

I'd be interested to see what level of success they would have had without him arriving.

They'd have had more from 2005 - 2014, that's for sure. :lol:

Wenger's a really good, not great, manager and often a pretty classless guy for the most part. Also can't help wondering what the general opinion of him would be had Henry gone somewhere else.

In terms of developing talent he's absolutely world class. One of the few managers that consistently gets players playing above their station too.

Tactically he can be naive. In fact, he's a bit naive in general. Although if it weren't for Oil Money it would've been very successful.

my opinion is that he was brilliant but not so much anymore, not to say he's incompetent or anything close, he's still a good manager but a lot of what made him great early on in the sport science, diet and scouting everyone caught up on.

my opinion is that he was brilliant but not so much anymore, not to say he's incompetent or anything close, he's still a good manager but a lot of what made him great early on in the sport science, diet and scouting everyone caught up on.

A friend of a friend is involved with Arsenal and apparently the fitness work they do there is now is abysmal - really dated stuff.

In terms of developing talent he's absolutely world class. One of the few managers that consistently gets players playing above their station too.

Tactically he can be naive. In fact, he's a bit naive in general. Although if it weren't for Oil Money it would've been very successful.

Lack of ambition is his downfall.  Many are naive to believe Wenger is the sole reason of afc lack of high profile transfers in recent years and his dislike of spending cash.

If his chairman tells him you got £200m to spend, now spend it or get the sack. He would spend it.  The reason Wenger has been frugal in recent years is down to the board.  Most managers of his abilities would had fucked off long ago and gone to a club that's willing to splash real cash.  He is similar to Pardew in some ways, a yes man.  Willing to bend over in any forms to satisfy their board by any means.

I'd be interested to see what level of success they would have had without him arriving.

They'd have had more from 2005 - 2014, that's for sure. :lol:

Wenger's a really good, not great, manager and often a pretty classless guy for the most part. Also can't help wondering what the general opinion of him would be had Henry gone somewhere else.

For sure? [emoji3] Wenger reinvigorated Arsenal for the vast part of his first decade there. Since the Invincibles season,  his sides , maybe mirroring the manager,  don't seem to have the hunger. I've thought for a while he needs a change of scenery. He'd be great as our national manager imo.

I don't think Wenger has stuck around because he's a yes man. He genuinely loves Arsenal and I think that's as clear as day to see whenever he talks about them.

Lack of ambition? They had major debt to service due to the stadium move.

Now they have their own stadium, fully paid up that they paid for themselves. In a very strong financial position for many years after Wenger left without the need for a sugar daddy.

They had a choice, compete in the short term and then be riddled with debt long term when Wenger left or give up the short term with a view to a future where they can compete with the very best for long after he leaves.

It was never as simple as "Spend some money Wenger you cheap asshole" and has nothing to do with ambition.

Guest antz1uk

Lack of ambition? They had major debt to service due to the stadium move.

Now they have their own stadium, fully paid up that they paid for themselves. In a very strong financial position for many years after Wenger left without the need for a sugar daddy.

They had a choice, compete in the short term and then be riddled with debt long term when Wenger left or give up the short term with a view to a future where they can compete with the very best for long after he leaves.

It was never as simple as "Spend some money Wenger you cheap asshole" and has nothing to do with ambition.

all whilst still being able to remain in the champions league. Long term plans AND ambition, who'd have thought it possible