Arsene Wenger

Parky

Lack of ambition? They had major debt to service due to the stadium move.

Now they have their own stadium, fully paid up that they paid for themselves. In a very strong financial position for many years after Wenger left without the need for a sugar daddy.

They had a choice, compete in the short term and then be riddled with debt long term when Wenger left or give up the short term with a view to a future where they can compete with the very best for long after he leaves.

It was never as simple as "Spend some money Wenger you cheap asshole" and has nothing to do with ambition.

Lack of ambition, yes from the manager.  He knows the club was not willing to challenge for many years due to finances like you said. 

I'm not arguing otherwise I'm a big fan.  I'm saying if anyone can criticise him of anything it can only be lack of ambition rather than being a tight rod.

Under the financial constraints , 8 seasons of no trophies is down to lack of financial backing from the board not the lack of quality in the manager. That is the point I'm making.

On the flip side.  Can you imagine Jose mourinho working for abramovich for eight season no trophies no real financial backing, and just being there for the love of Chelsea?  No.  It is a bad example because Jose is a c***.  But you get the idea.

Guest firetotheworks

They had a couple of finals tbf. They were unlucky in CL final and deserved losers in the LC.

this will be one player I'm confident he'll get over the line tho...

Arsenal are monitoring Lyon midfielder Clement Grenier as Arsene Wenger keeps a close eye on the Frenchman's fitness.

He's a brilliant manager. Not sure how anyone can argue otherwise to be honest.

He spent 8 years or so in total denial about needing to spend money on a keeper or a CB which cost Arsenal trophies and made them a bit of a laughing stock instead of cemeting a real challenege to 'oil money'.

He's a very good manager but he's not at the top table, or the one below that.

To have no money to spend for 8 yrs, whilst maintaining Champions League qualification, was an awesome achievement. 

Not when the opposition wasn't up to much. He's had to spend more than usual the last year or two just to keep pace. He'll be happier than most people about Suarez because that will be a huge blow to Liverpool's chances of maintaining a top 4 spot.

Guest firetotheworks

To have no money to spend for 8 yrs, whilst maintaining Champions League qualification, was an awesome achievement. 

Not when the opposition wasn't up to much. He's had to spend more than usual the last year or two just to keep pace. He'll be happier than most people about Suarez because that will be a huge blow to Liverpool's chances of maintaining a top 4 spot.

What's that based on? In that time there's been Mourinho's Chelsea, Man City and Man United. Below them Liverpool, Spurs and even Villa spent shit loads more than Arsenal without ever finishing above them. Them not spending it correctly isn't a criticism to aim at Wenger.

I'd be interested to see what level of success they would have had without him arriving.

They'd have had more from 2005 - 2014, that's for sure. :lol:

Wenger's a really good, not great, manager and often a pretty classless guy for the most part. Also can't help wondering what the general opinion of him would be had Henry gone somewhere else.

For sure? [emoji3] Wenger reinvigorated Arsenal for the vast part of his first decade there. Since the Invincibles season,  his sides , maybe mirroring the manager,  don't seem to have the hunger. I've thought for a while he needs a change of scenery. He'd be great as our national manager imo.

Agree with all this.

Think he was a great manager for his first decade at Arsenal. Advanced the quality of play in the entire league too.

Past decade it's hard to claim it's been that much of a successs; they've stagnated.