NUFC summer activity prediction thread

Pilko

I get this weird feeling that we're going to have this fantastic window, sign Gamerio, Gervinho, and Cabaye and a couple other good players, re-sign Jose, basically do everything right, and then fuck everything up on August 30th by selling Tiote to Chelsea for 25 million.

i think it's gonna be somewhere in the middle, we'll get one very good attacking signing like Gervinho or Gameiro and then mediocrity to fill out the ranks

but hey, so far they seem willing to spend something like 20m+ if the bids are anything to go by so who fucking knows?

i'd imagine that's it though huh?  5m for Cabaye and then 10m each for the other two (rough figures) and i think that'll be the end of our spending personally unless we sell the likes of Enrique and then have to replace him

hopefully we can get these dudes and then fill out the squad with an astute loan or two

couldn't really complain about that tbh

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

As long as people remember that some of the Carroll money has already been spent on improving the Training Ground, expectations should be alreet.

As long as people remember that some of the Carroll money has already been spent on improving the Training Ground, expectations should be alreet.

well they've made 3 bids concurrently of about 20m euros right, maybe a little more than that?  unless they plan to cancel one if another is accepted and the deal done then we have to assume that's their minimum/maximum spend

if they spend 20m+ on 3 signings this summer, irrespective of any outgoings, i'll be fucking dumbfounded

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

well they've made 3 bids concurrently of about 20m euros right, maybe a little more than that?  unless they plan to cancel one if another is accepted and the deal done then we have to assume that's their minimum/maximum spend

if they spend 20m+ on 3 signings this summer, irrespective of any outgoings, i'll be fucking dumbfounded

At a guess, I'd say £20m would be max/class!

In the last few months the training ground car park has been extended, under soil heating has been installed, and the bottom pitch at the Academy has had its foundations sanded and rebalanced for easier maintenance.

Have to admit, I'm getting a bit excited about the Summer. Hopefully we're not going to be set up and knocked down! Just hope people are expecting all of the Carroll money to be spent (not that anyone has said that yet).

I don't think you're right abput that Obi, it implies the club has nothing but the Carroll money to play with or that Ashley views it that way at least.

Wether Carroll was sold or not you have to assume money would have been spent on transfers, even if that was only a few million. Plus it's almost certain there would be seperate funds for maintenance, non-playing staff renumeration etc, etc. The club does not run or fall on the Carroll money.

Finally there's nothing, but people's prejudices, to say that Ashley has to take his money back everytime the club has some income, TV money, League place income etc. He can sit on his loan, he doesn't have to be in a hurry to reduce it, except perhaps in dribs and drabs.

All said and done though I doubt we'll get through this without at least some bad news, (like Barton leaving for instance), nor will we have a complete squad with solid backups in every position but I think we'll be in a lot stronger position. I've my fingers crossed anyway.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

If you won the lottery, even just a tidy sum, you'd spend that sudden extra cash on little things you might not have previously considered. Such as undersoil heating for your training ground, perhaps. I'm not claiming Carroll money is keeping the club a float, but its extra money in the pot that's allowed for certain things to be improved that otherwise may not have.

There's always a chance that with so many changes - assuming some of these signings come off - that things could go pear shaped next season. Enrique, Nolan and Barton were key players and to lose them all might mean we take time to gel doesn't matter how good the signings look right now. Even so it's good to see the club being decisive and not dithering once decisions have had to be made.

Guest magpie99

This is all hypothetical, of course because noone knows MAs thinking and even though he has stated that transfer activity will include fees and wages, I cannot believe that the wages side of things would be for anything more than next season only. Additional contracted salary would be factored in to annual budgets on a year by year nature in future seasons surely. Given that, then I could see a way of getting all the players we wanted, if they would come, and break even.

For example

Outgoings

Routledge at 1.5M plis loss of 1.0M salary costs = 2.5M

Campbell, savings on salary = 2.1M

Kuqi, savings on salary = 0.3M

Enrique at estimated 10.0M plus salary costs 2.4M = 12.4M

Sell Forster to Celtic for 3.0M plus salary savings estimated at 0.6M = 3.6M

Carroll income = 35.0M

TOTAL INCOME = 55.9M

Incomings

Cabaye, transfer fee 4.3M plus salary costs of 2.5M = 6.8M

Abeid, salary costs only estimated at 0.5M

Gervinho, transfer fee of 10.5M plus salary costs of 3.1M = 13.6M

Gameiro, transfer fee of  11.0M plus salary costs of3.1M = 14.1M

M'Bengue, transfer fee of 6.0M plus salary costs of 1.6M = 7.6M

N'Zogbia, transfer fee of 8.0M plus salary costs of 3.1M = 11,1M

TOTAL OUTLAY = 53.7M

Factor in a couple of million for the training ground repairs and the savings on Andy Carrolls salary as well and we would break even.

Of course, it is all extremely unlikely, but it does make you think that if we brought in those players, we would be a side chasing a CL spot with that attacking strength.

I dont think many teams would like seeing Gervinho, Gameiro, Ben Arfa and N.Zogbia come at them with pace and trickery...................FUCKING GOALS GALORE.

• 2 weeks later...

anybody else think this summer will end up being done on the relative cheap now? 

cabaye - cheap

taylor - cheap

erdinc - (perhaps) - unlikey to be 10m+

ba - free (fee at least perhaps)

granted the money may be spent elsewhere but personally if we sign those 4 players i'd be surprised if we got one more myself

of course it's early and expensive doesn't = good but i'm pretty underwhelmed by our second tiers targets

I'm pretty happy with those signings you list - if they're cheap then all the better.

Would like a top-draw striker but they're hard to find and even harder to persuade to come to a mid table club. We might also end up buying Zog for a decent fee and a replacement for Enrique.

the question i ask myself is were the signings worth selling carroll for, 'cause that's allegedly what we did it for right?  sell carroll to make the squad better and push on

i guess they do, and adding zog (is there even any real interest) might make that lot look a lot better

might depend how fucked ba's knee is ???

anybody else think this summer will end up being done on the relative cheap now? 

cabaye - cheap

taylor - cheap

granted the money may be spent elsewhere but personally if we sign those 4 players i'd be surprised if we got one more myself

of course it's early and expensive doesn't = good but i'm pretty underwhelmed by our second tiers targets

I think you have to factor in how attractive we are to the really top players at this stage because with the best will in the world you can't persuade many of them to sign when there are CL clubs in there competing. Gameiro and Gervinho being prime examples.

cabaye - cheap

taylor - cheap

Pardew has said today he wants 5 more in before the season starts.

hm Tron i guess that's a factor, doesn't show a lot of planning for me since january though - we went for two of the most in demand players in france and then when rejected move onto ba and erdinc...can't for the life of me believe that's all the scouting team could rustle up in 6 month like

i just can't - there are people on here who'd name you players from all over europe who'd be possibilities for signing for us by stepping up a league, they'd just be expensive as fuck

on the other hand, i have to say, nobody else below the top 4/5 look like they'll be splashing the cash either it's just that none of them had a 35m windfall in january

Pardew has said today he wants 5 more in before the season starts.

so 6 in total, 2 more on top of what i quoted?

Yes.

"If we can get him (Ba) and another two in before the end of next week I'll still be looking for another two new faces to join us before the start of the season."

well no point in starting low i guess...i mean clearly they'll improve the squad, can't argue with that

guess underwhelmed is just the word for me, nowt wrong with that if the players click though, that's all that's important

think "a zog" is really needed or a lot is going to depend on HBA myself, could be a big ask after injury

seriously? 

you don't think the two were linked...i can't get my head around that at all, then why reinvest it in new players then?  mike should keep it...oh wait he is :lol:

;)

Well the reason was to improve the general financial health of the club, and because we were being offered silly money. The upshot is that we should be able to spend more than we would have otherwise.

Things don't look good to me. If we are replacing an England number 9 from Tyneside with a free transfer from the worst team in the division then that is very concerning. I'm all for Ba coming in but we also need a genuine top class striker. A 20 goal guarantee.

Things don't look good to me. If we are replacing an England number 9 from Tyneside with a free transfer from the worst team in the division then that is very concerning. I'm all for Ba coming in but we also need a genuine top class striker. A 20 goal guarantee.

that's a more forhtright way of saying what i was alluding to really - dunno, maybe for a club like us with an owner like ours that's just something we're not gonna have 'cause if we happen to get one he'll be sold :(

at this stage i'd settle for another AM/W like zog/hba and hope we can get them all to gel together rather than having to rely on one player

guess that's the plan anyway

Who are these strikers that can guarantee us 20 goals?

If you look at the Premiership scoring charts over the past few years not many people are hitting that.