NUFC summer activity prediction thread

Pilko

not even sure that's something you should be looking to in modern football anyway myself*, if you get one that does it great but the days of trying to build something around one guy scoring 20+ have surely passed by?

EDIT: unless you have the money to try

I reckon Ba could come in and do an Odemwingie given a whole season.

It's veryd eceptive to say he was a 'free agent from the worst club in the division'. Like I said when I did my tirade on the shitness of West Ham, Ba only ended up there by default and he looked far too good for them during that spell.

I think £20m could get us close to top 6 this season, would much rather do that then be in a position where we can attract a quality striker next summer to try and push even further, than spending over the odds on a player not worth the money just for the sake of spending.

I reckon Ba could come in and do an Odemwingie given a whole season.

It's veryd eceptive to say he was a 'free agent from the worst club in the division'. Like I said when I did my tirade on the shitness of West Ham, Ba only ended up there by default and he looked far too good for them during that spell.

Agreed. Yes he was in the worst team in the league and he still managed 7 goals in 12 games, which is a great achievement when your teammates are rubbish :thup:

i'm not feeling too optimistic about the window atm, though there is a long way to go, and just a week ago i was beginning to get excited.

Ba and Erdinc to me seem like the kind of backup deals we'd do in late august, and i'm not going to lie i'll be really disappointed if those are the two strikers we bring in.

but it's not just incoming deals - issues that have arisen regarding enrique, barton and nolan, and a nagging feeling that we're expecting Tiote to leave - mean there's a possibility we could end up worse off in september than we were in May.

this summer is really going to define how the next few seasons will pan out, as i don't think we're going to get another £35m cash windfall any time soon. so i hope we don't settle for mediocre players just because the opportunity arose.

Getting good players in for free or cheap is not an excuse not to spend money, it should be the catalyst to get even better players than them and improve the squad greatly, rather than marginally improve the first team. My prediction: Shola, Best and Lovenkrands will still play at least ten games each.

Getting good players in for free or cheap is not an excuse not to spend money, it should be the catalyst to get even better players than them and improve the squad greatly, rather than marginally improve the first team. My prediction: Shola, Best and Lovenkrands will still play at least ten games each.

They might have done that even if we'd kept Carroll or bought Gameiro.

i'm not feeling too optimistic about the window atm, though there is a long way to go, and just a week ago i was beginning to get excited.

Ba and Erdinc to me seem like the kind of backup deals we'd do in late august, and i'm not going to lie i'll be really disappointed if those are the two strikers we bring in.

but it's not just incoming deals - issues that have arisen regarding enrique, barton and nolan, and a nagging feeling that we're expecting Tiote to leave - mean there's a possibility we could end up worse off in september than we were in May.

this summer is really going to define how the next few seasons will pan out, as i don't think we're going to get another £35m cash windfall any time soon. so i hope we don't settle for mediocre players just because the opportunity arose.

Both would be a massive improvement on what we already have.

They might have done that even if we'd kept Carroll or bought Gameiro.

Nah, Carroll would've played upfront on his own for all 38 games, scored 100 goals and cured cancer.

Things don't look good to me. If we are replacing an England number 9 from Tyneside with a free transfer from the worst team in the division then that is very concerning. I'm all for Ba coming in but we also need a genuine top class striker. A 20 goal guarantee.

That basically doesn't exist in the Premier League though, certainly not for mid table clubs. And Carroll certainly wasn't it.

Carroll would have been a very good shout for 20 goals next season IMO, I don't see what's so outrageous about it. He scored 11 goals in half a season's worth of appearances for us before getting injured then being sold.

Carroll would have been a very good shout for 20 goals next season IMO, I don't see what's so outrageous about it. He scored 11 goals in half a season's worth of appearances for us before getting injured then being sold.

I don't disagree, I just think expecting a "20 goal guarantee" is too much.

Carroll's half-season might turn out to be how he always performs, or he might have had a freakishly good time, we'll see.

I don't disagree, I just think expecting a "20 goal guarantee" is too much.

Carroll's half-season might turn out to be how he always performs, or he might have had a freakishly good time, we'll see.

Or more injuries, or bother or prison...you just don't know. He may even get forced to a subs role next season.

In an ideal world I think we wanted a Gameiro/Gervinho this summer, but if we have to make do with Erdinc & Ba for a season, I still think that would be good enough for top 8 pushing top 6 potentially, we're in a much better position next summer to buy someone better than we are this year.

Would you rather have 1 Carrol?

or

0 Carrol and 1 Cabaye, 1 Ba, 1 Erdinc and 1 Taylor ? Im sure the money will go a longer way than just that btw, but you get my point

Can't even be arsed. Carroll cost us nowt.

huh? my point is, will our team be stronger or weaker ? would you rather we didnt sell carrol and didnt buy anyone? or sell carrol and replace with Cabaye, Ba, Erdinc, Taylot, and a few others? Most of which could also increase in value

In an ideal world I think we wanted a Gameiro/Gervinho this summer, but if we have to make do with Erdinc & Ba for a season, I still think that would be good enough for top 8 pushing top 6 potentially, we're in a much better position next summer to buy someone better than we are this year.

:nods:

How many people at this time last season were happy going into the premier with Carroll, BestAmeobi and Lovenkrands as our strike force? Hindsight is all well and good but that was considered relegation fodder last August. Maybe Ba and Erdinc will also turn out to be better than some think.

I don't care how much we spend, as long as those we do bring in do the business.

I don't know much about the Turkish guy, but I reckon Ba could get a few in a full season. Not 20, but near enough for it to matter.

I'd be happy to get Ba/Erdnic/Zoggy/A.N Other for a season, push for a top 10/8 place and go for the 'big striker name' next Summer. You can't build an entire squad in one summer IMO.

Guest BooBoo

Not overly thrilled at the minute. Regardless of who we are bringing in, not sealing new deals for any of Enrique, Nolan or Barton would be very bad.

Cabaye is a good start but mooted deals for Ba, Erdinc and Neil Taylor are all fairly underwhelming. Let's not kid ourselves that we don't have the funds to get in players of a better calibre. This smacks of the usual exploitation of the free transfer/ unusual contract quirk that Ashley excels at.