Cheikh M'Bengue

Dr Venkman

I can see this being a deadline day thing myself. Enrique will play the first 2-3 games then someone will buy him, and we'll get M'Bengue.

i hate that the window's open that long, should close a couple of days before the season starts imo

Randomly came across this on a Marseille site:

Qui pour jouer à gauche de la défense ?

Jérémy Morel

(4%)

Benoit Trémoulinas

(43%)

Jérémy Mathieu

(25%)

Cheik M'Bengué

(5%)

Royston Drenthe

(10%)

John-Arne Riise

(13%)

Thought he was more sought after tbh.

Jérémy Morel

(4%)

Benoit Trémoulinas

(43%)

Jérémy Mathieu

(25%)

Cheik M'Bengué

(5%)

Royston Drenthe

(10%)

John-Arne Riise

(13%)

What gave you that impression?

Jérémy Morel

(4%)

Benoit Trémoulinas

(43%)

Jérémy Mathieu

(25%)

Cheik M'Bengué

(5%)

Royston Drenthe

(10%)

John-Arne Riise

(13%)

Reading what Toulouse and Lille supporters had to say about him on message boards/below articles. As well as getting rave reviews from a couple of "Ligue 1 people" (for example  James Eastham - scout) on Twitter.

Olympique de Marseille turns behind the scenes to strengthen this summer. City to replace Taiwo, the Toulouse Sheikh M'Bengue is not insensitive to the interests of the OM . For his part, Didier Deschamps Lucho Gonzalez still hopes to convince to stay in Marseille.

As announced by Jean-Claude Dassier few weeks ago, Olympique de Marseille should not make spending spree during the summer transfer window. And it is not his replacement as president by Vincent Labrune should change that. If the new strongman Om Didier Deschamps told he could build a team to play the title, financial resources remain limited.

M'Bengue contacted and flattered

Margarita Louis-Dreyfus has injected 20 million euros in cash, but much of that money will be used to fill the deficit of the season. Marseille leaders therefore seek good moves and imperative to recruit a left side after the departure of Gabriel Heinze and Taye Taiwo. If Bordeaux Trémoulinas Benedict is the priority of Deschamps, Marseille still considering other avenues in which the defender of Toulouse , Sheikh M'Bengue.

The Toulouse has been contacted by OM and is interested. " Jose Anigo already called me, told me that I liked him and he also assured my staff. The OM is among the opportunities that do not refuse. This is a club very passionate, highly publicized, which plays the Champions League every year. I just spoke with Souley (Diawara) in selection, but, honestly, no more than that. I was not asking her the addresses of Senegalese restaurants in Marseille , "he said in Le Parisien. Call a pretty foot ...  :lol:

Deschamps wants to convince Lucho

Problem for the club phocéen, M'Bengue could leave in January for the CAN 2012. TFC defender could stay only for a secondary track in the head Deschamps, especially since Toulouse not let go easily. Newcastle having already struck twice in the refusal of the leaders after Toulouse offers 5 and 6 million euros. Marseille coach is well aware he can not spend lavishly.

That's probably why it would also keep Lucho Gonzalez. The Argentinian has recently expressed his desire to leave Marseille this summer, but the coach would have called his phocéen player, currently on holiday, to try to convince him of his plans, according to L'Equipe. Followed by Malaga, Fenerbahce and Wolfsburg, "El Comandante" does not leave at least 13 million euros. A price that could cool the suitors and to leave time for Deschamps to try to remember ...

http://www.maxifoot.fr/football/article-12756.htm

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11810_6987223,00.html

Toulouse left-back Cheikh M'Bengue is unsure where his future lies amid reports of a switch this summer.

Premier League sides Liverpool and Newcastle United are rumoured to be interested in the 22-year-old, while Ligue 1 side Marseille have also been mentioned.

French media suggests Marseille are leading the chase for M'Bengue, with the player thought to be keen to remain in France for at least another two years.

M'Bengue has admitted to his respect for both Liverpool and Newcastle but made it clear that no deal is in the offing at present.

He told skysports.com: "Liverpool are a very big club, Newcastle as well, but nothing has been decided with my future so let's wait and see."

Newcastle United – Cheikh M'Bengue is now a transfer target for ...‎

GiveMeFootball.com - Paul Bailey - 23 minutes ago

Highly rated Toulouse left-back Cheikh M'Bengue is unsure of where his future lies amidst reported interest from Newcastle ...

You've already posted that story, from its original source. Two posts above.

Ah but it keeps it interesting.. I feel your pain though Dave, I think this transfer window may end you unless you start hitting the prozac, would it help if I PM'd you ever tribal,fansfc & givemefootball rumour?

Jérémy Morel

(4%)

Benoit Trémoulinas

(43%)

Jérémy Mathieu

(25%)

Cheik M'Bengué

(5%)

Royston Drenthe

(10%)

John-Arne Riise

(13%)

Reading what Toulouse and Lille supporters had to say about him on message boards/below articles. As well as getting rave reviews from a couple of "Ligue 1 people" (for example  James Eastham - scout) on Twitter.

I would be quite displeased if OM or NUFC brought in Risse. Average player who is aging.

It is not surprising that M'Bengue is low on this list. Mathieu is a bigger name who was in essentially the same position that M'Bengue is now a few years ago, has moved on to bigger things, and is still relatively young. Tremoulinas, despite being a bit older, has been a better player in Ligue 1 than Cheik. I would be happy for us to sign him if OM get M'Bengue.

• 1 month later...

If this Pieters bid fails, do you reckon we will come back in for him? Or is this over and done with?

I'm pretty sure he was our preferred choice initially so if we are now in for Pieters we must have been priced out.

If this Pieters bid fails, do you reckon we will come back in for him? Or is this over and done with?

I'm pretty sure he was our preferred choice initially so if we are now in for Pieters we must have been priced out.

Priced out? Ffs :lol:

I'm all for being sensible financially but we've recently sold about £50m worth of players and freed god-knows how much off the wage bill. Perish the thought that we pay decent money for anyone.  :angry:

If he's the preferred choice, get him in.

I'm all for being sensible financially but we've recently sold about £50m worth of players and freed god-knows how much off the wage bill. Perish the thought that we pay decent money for anyone.  :angry:

So say they want £10m for a player we think is worth £5m.. just get him in?

I'm all for being sensible financially but we've recently sold about £50m worth of players and freed god-knows how much off the wage bill. Perish the thought that we pay decent money for anyone.  :angry:

Obviously there's a limit, and obviously I'm speculating wildly, but I feel our limits are hindering us in progressing.

Like I say, I base this on nothing more than conjecture, but I don't think it's too much of a leap to think we're very easily scared off when we find out how much players want and end up going for the cheap option far too often. Unless we're incredibly lucky then it WILL bite us on the backside, sooner rather than later.

Gervinho -> Barnetta -> Obertan

Gameiro -> Ba

M'Bengue -> Pieters

Erdinc -> Probably end up with Carlton sodding Cole

There's a pattern there. It doesn't take a genius to work out what it is.

Some could argue that certain players never wanted to come here in the first place (Gameiro, Gervinho) but most players will go anywhere if the price is right and ours hasn't been in too many cases so far this window. I'm not advocating a return to the exploits of Fat Fred, but we seem to have swung too far the other way with Ashley determined to replicate the Sports Direct philosophy inside St James' Park.

Obviously there's a limit, and obviously I'm speculating wildly, but I feel our limits are hindering us in progressing.

Like I say, I base this on nothing more than conjecture, but I don't think it's too much of a leap to think we're very easily scared off when we find out how much players want and end up going for the cheap option far too often. Unless we're incredibly lucky then it WILL bite us on the backside, sooner rather than later.

Gervinho -> Barnetta -> Obertan

Gameiro -> Ba

M'Bengue -> Pieters

Erdinc -> Probably end up with Carlton sodding Cole

There's a pattern there. It doesn't take a genius to work out what it is.

Some could argue that certain players never wanted to come here in the first place (Gameiro, Gervinho) but most players will go anywhere if the price is right and ours hasn't been in too many cases so far this window. I'm not advocating a return to the exploits of Fat Fred, but we seem to have swung too far the other way with Ashley determined to replicate the Sports Direct philosophy inside St James' Park.

Remember some of SBRs first choices, Francis Jeffers and Zenden.  We ended up with Robert and Bellemy.

Finished 4th that season.

Honestly, for once, just once, i'd be grateful if they spent over their own market value for an established player in a position of (desperate) need. FFS, what do we do as things stand? we have NO left-back currently

I'm all for being sensible financially but we've recently sold about £50m worth of players and freed god-knows how much off the wage bill. Perish the thought that we pay decent money for anyone.  :angry:

Honestly, for once, just once, i'd be grateful if they spent over their own market value for an established player in a position of (desperate) need. FFS, what do we do as things stand? we have NO left-back currently once Enrique leaves.