Building a team/squad around the core we already have

Dave

the only reason any of those players will leave is if they want to or we are offered silly fees. (same with most players at most clubs)

And chances are they will want to leave if we don't show the type of ambition we are talking about here.

Precisely. The prospect is there and they can all see it, that's why the Carroll sale prompted negative reactions from players like Enrique and Barton.

Enrique was making noises long before Carroll left saying he wants to see what league we're in first, and by all accounts Barton's problems are whether it's a 3 or 4 year contract, not ambition.

Simpson       ?        Colo.    Jose

Barton. Tiote.  Nolan      Ben arfa

?      ?

Add 3 of similar quality you are challenging top 5

FYP

We will never become a top 6 side again if we keep selling players though. Carroll was outrageous money yes, but if we go into the summer and allow the likes of Enrique to leave then we are just making ourselves weaker. One of the main reasons Spurs have done well is that they held on to their best players when they came good. They didnt just finish 5th or 4th and sell their players to the bigger teams, im not sure we would be in the same boat. For example, if we finish 7th next season and Ben Arfa plays unreal, scores a few goals and makes a name for himself, he'll be off as soon as theres a big bid in for him.

The way I see it from what Pardew has said and done, these are guaranteed starters next season:

GK

RB

CB

Colo

Jose

Barton

Nolan

Tiote

LM

Ben Arfa

ST

Tend to agree with you, i think they're pretty much the places Pardew will look to strengthen. But after a strong end to the season for Jonas, and a slightly less effective one for Barton... i can see the latter losing their place with (hopefully) Zog coming in.

the only reason any of those players will leave is if they want to or we are offered silly fees. (same with most players at most clubs)

And chances are they will want to leave if we don't show the type of ambition we are talking about here.

Precisely. The prospect is there and they can all see it, that's why the Carroll sale prompted negative reactions from players like Enrique and Barton.

Enrique was making noises long before Carroll left saying he wants to see what league we're in first, and by all accounts Barton's problems are whether it's a 3 or 4 year contract, not ambition.

They both expressed concern at the direction of the club after Carroll was sold. I'm not referring solely to the contract talks.

I've said all along we've got the makings of a good top 6 side with some additions: we are a good side with little to no strength in depth. I'd be looking for first-team additions to strikers, right-wing, central midfield and ideally, goalkeeper. Having said all that, keeping the good players we have will be a good start. Sort it out, Derek & Mike.

We need to raid some players from the relegated sides and try our best to make sure they come to us. There are decent players going down that a good few Premier League sides will be desperate for.

I'd go for N'Zogbia and absolutely no one else. Never sits right with me, going for relegated players.

I agree with that to some extent. By all means sign quality players from relegated teams like Wigan (hopefully) but Carlton Cole? No thanks. We have some decent young lads coming through who can be squad fillers but we need genuine quality in one or two positions.

We will never become a top 6 side again if we keep selling players though. Carroll was outrageous money yes, but if we go into the summer and allow the likes of Enrique to leave then we are just making ourselves weaker. One of the main reasons Spurs have done well is that they held on to their best players when they came good. They didnt just finish 5th or 4th and sell their players to the bigger teams, im not sure we would be in the same boat. For example, if we finish 7th next season and Ben Arfa plays unreal, scores a few goals and makes a name for himself, he'll be off as soon as theres a big bid in for him.

They sold carrick and berbatov for big money, but it was invested back in to the team. Come this summer they'll sell at least Bale, and will invest that money as well.

define the ambition, do you just want the money spent on fees or do you agree that wages have to be taken into consideration aswell as other monies coming in (and that doesn't necessarily mean further outgoing transfers).

fwiw i'm quite convinced the overall expenditure on the squad will go considerably up this summer.

Ambition for me will be signing a two or three players that will take us to the next level. There are still passengers in the squad taking up a lot of wages which should be ruthlessly culled so I'd hope once this is addressed we can hope to spend a fair chunk of the 35m on transfer fees.

Just an open question to the forum/this thread, how happy are people with Barton occupying a starting berth for Newcastle next season?

Ok with me, was a lot more effective till he lost all of his targets up front

Just an open question to the forum/this thread, how happy are people with Barton occupying a starting berth for Newcastle next season?

I'd be happy for him to be our starting right winger next season.

I was thinking about that today actually just before the game and I don't think he is as effective on the right without a proper target man to be aiming for. Depends what kind of side we are trying to build I guess.

If Fergie really wants one of their players he'll sign him.

Carrick, Berbatov & Keane all sold for big money top top 4 sides.

I was thinking about that today actually just before the game and I don't think he is as effective on the right without a proper target man to be aiming for. Depends what kind of side we are trying to build I guess.

I'm unsure i cannot think of a good game he has had for a while :/

GK: Harper, Krul, Forster

RB: New5, Simpson

CB: Coloccini, New3, Williamson, STaylor, Kadar

LB: Enrique, Ferguson

RM: New2, Barton, RTaylor

CM: Nolan, Tiote, Barton, New6, Guthrie, Gosling

LM: Gutierrez, Ferguson, Ben Arfa

ST: New1, Ben Arfa, New4, Ameobi, Best, Lovenkrands

This is the something like the squad i think we should have. The numbers are what i see as 'level of priority', so obviously striker is top and a new centre-mid would be nice but not as essential.

That would mean chucking: Campbell, Routledge, Perch, Smith, Xisco, Kuqi. So in reality we'd essentially be losing no one, given the minuscule amount of appearances amassed by that bunch. And that's what i think is most important. Not losing many because the crux of the squad, as Dave and everyone have said, is very good.

I'm unsure i cannot think of a good game he has had for a while :/

He was excellent in our last home game.

In CM? No thanks.

I meant RM for the record.

I echo the thoughts of colinmk who has summed up what I've been pondering for a while. Obviously, the thought of selling him on never crossed my mind and definitely want him in the first-team set up, but I'd definitely want more mobile options on the right hand side.