Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

This lad is still very much in our plans imo. Though it is a bit weird how he hasn't been given a look in as yet...

I assumed he was just injured but apparently not. Hope he makes the grade here, from what I've seen of him, he is a promising midfielder in the Cabaye mould.

NUFC.COM's match report included this:

Team: Alnwick, Nicholson, Moyo (Riley 77), Newton, Logan, Good, Campbell, Richardson, Sam Ameobi, Inman, Hooper (Knight 77).

Subs n/u: Mitchell, Gilliead, McKinnon.

Crowd: 324.

Returning to the squad after recovering from the hamstring injury he sustained in pre-season was Sam Ameobi, but again there was no place for Mehdi Abeid.

I don't think hes been in any squad at any level since 18th August v Spurs reserves. Its strange because Pardew was full of praise for him just a few months back - starting to look like there may have been some sort of a falling out to me.

I sort of wondered why he wasn't in the squad for Atromitos - thought he did very well pre-season and was one of our better performers.  If we send him out on loan though I'd definitely want a recall option on it.

He was injured. Probably still is.

Played the full 90 mins v Spurs reserves on 18th August and was on the pitch at half time with the rest of the development squad kicking a ball about  v Atromitos at home. Don't think hes injured.

About a week ago (night before the home leg) he tweeted about football being unfair sometimes, then deleted it. That's all I'm going off tbh.

I bet it's nothing. If it is it'll be about his attitude in the way we've discarded Ranger rather than talent.

It worked really well with Ranger, he's gone from being close to being late for training and turned into an absolute moron and a waste of space.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8086081/Abeid-set-for-loan

Abeid makes appeal

Clubs battling for Newcastle midfielder

By Graeme Bailey

Mehdi Abeid: Set for Championship loan

Sky Sports understands that a host of Championship clubs are ready to battle to sign Newcastle United midfielder Mehdi Abeid.

The 20-year-old Algerian midfielder joined Newcastle last summer, when they beat a number of clubs to snap him up from Lens.

He made his senior debut last season, starting games in both the FA Cup and League Cup for Alan Pardew's men.

But Abeid is now set to be sent on loan to gain league experience and a host of Championship clubs are keen.

Birmingham and Charlton are believed to be amongst those interested in snapping him up on loan.

:thup:

Yes but there's two types of loan IMO. There's the "your an important player for the future, get some games under your belt" and the "we don't rate you anymore, so we might aswell save on wages".

I quite like the look of him but he's barely featured recently and looks to have been leap-frogged by Bigirimana. I hope the reason he hasn't featured is because we knew he was going on loan.

• 2 weeks later...

MEHDI Abeid has been told to go out on loan because he faces a real battle to revive his Newcastle career, writes MARK DOUGLAS.

Algeria schemer Abeid was billed as United’s future last summer after catching the eye in a pre-season training and made an early first-team breakthrough last autumn.

But starts have been hard to come by ever since and Alan Pardew pointedly admits that Abeid has tumbled down the pecking order in recent months. Although the club still have high hopes for the youngster, they want to see more from him if he is to return to first-team duty.

The club were understood to be dismayed by Abeid’s reticence to go out on loan last season and Pardew is now trying to source the midfielder a Championship club to join before Christmas.

“Players have jumped ahead of him if I’m honest,” the manager said. “That happens in football – it happened to me as a player. I remember Steve (Coppell) bringing a couple of players to Palace who jumped ahead of me and a younger player came up from the group.

“The only way to get that back is to fight and that’s what he’s got to do. He’s got to fight to try and get back into the team.

“If I’m honest, I’ve tried to loan him out and I think he should go out to the Championship, because he’s good enough to play in it.”

While Abeid was with the under-21s, new signing Gael Bigirimana was part of the first-team squad and is in line to replace Yohan Cabaye – who has suffered an infection after having a wisdom tooth removed.

“We have injury problems tomorrow,” Pardew admitted. “No Cabaye. No Coloccini. Cabaye has an infection in his mouth after having his wisdom teeth out, that means he can’t play.

“Colo’s hamstring looks like it could keep him out for the week, which is a blow because we have some important games this week. So that is a worry.”

I suppose Abeid seen himself very close to the 1st team last season and could see a few games coming his way, its a shame he didn't spend that spell out on loan, hindsight is a wonderful thing but chances are if he was a success on loan we may not have pursued Bigi. The lad would be daft not to go on loan now. Some good football playing teams in the Championship. Even better would be a low end Premiership club but getting 1st team games should be the priority for him, so playing 20 in the Championship will be better than 10 with 10 sub appearances in the Premiership IMO.

Maybe they actually have more confidence in Abeid making it so think it's better for him to get more games under his belt rather than be bit part for another season.

Would love more of our youngsters to go out on loan and get experience.