Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Bale has had about 4-5 games in his career which suggests he's worth anything north of £20m, the hype is ludicrous.

Don't forget at one point, not so long ago as well, Lennon was on his way to Chelsea for £40m.

Jol...there's an argument that modric didn't move because Chelsea didn't offer enough more than he stays at any cost. At that time Jordan Henderson was moving for 22mill so its quite possible spurs were holding out for more.

Whilst I do think Bale was overhyped I do think he is on that list of players just below World Class. If he plays well consistently then I think he'll be worthy of the World Class tab. The season in the CL he's played very well and this season he has had hot patches, but World Class players don't have hot patches they are good most of the time.

If he did move to Barca unless they changed formation I can't see him playing anywhere other than left back. I suppose left back at Barca would be different responsibilities to that as left back at Spurs.

Vertonghen currently in Barcelona, he's on vacation mind, but as usual the rumor mill over here is on overdrive.

To be frank, I love him. I'm still afraid he'd leak goals like there's no tomorrow in a proper top league given his love to run up the pitch, but he'd be a joy to watch otherwise.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Vertonghen currently in Barcelona, he's on vacation mind, but as usual the rumor mill over here is on overdrive.

To be frank, I love him. I'm still afraid he'd leak goals like there's no tomorrow in a proper top league given his love to run up the pitch, but he'd be a joy to watch otherwise.

According to his 'agent' he was offered to you lot, but he wasn't wanted. Spurs still favourites to get him.

Contract is up.

Disappointingly low levels of schadenfreude to take from that thread after reading it, many willing to take those players rather than bemoaning signing our offcasts. Then again that's quite funny in itself - muahahah.

Simpson's not really a cast off. According to the tabloids he has turned down Newcastle's final contract offer and is probably looking for a better offer elsewhere and he will get it.

Simpson = yes

Guthrie = yes

Best no, decent player but we could actually attract better

Guthrie is a decent player, a bit in the James Milner mould!

Guthries a good signing for them.

The interesting thing is if true either McLeish is being given another chance and allowed to bring in players, or I suppose club is just going over his head. Can't imagine if he was being sacked at end of season they'd bring in players without consulting a new guy...

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Guthrie's better than what they've got in the middle, hope he stays fit and gets some games.

I'd actually be disappointed if Guthrie does end up going to Villa. He can do so much better than them. Unfortunately, I can see McLeish ruining him. Unless Villa get a new manager in, can't see this move being beneficial to Danny whatsoever.

I'm disappointed too as he's a nice squad player to have but if he wants first team play consistently fair enough to him. Suspect he'll regret it though since McLeish is so bad, it's not like the midfield are going to do anything there apart from tackle and hoof anyway.

He'd do well at Norwich or West Brom or anywhere really that will keep the ball on the ground

I'm disappointed too as he's a nice squad player to have but if he wants first team play consistently fair enough to him. Suspect he'll regret it though since McLeish is so bad, it's not like the midfield are going to do anything there apart from tackle and hoof anyway.

He'd do well at Norwich or West Brom or anywhere really that will keep the ball on the ground

Aye, this too and yeah if he feels he needs to leave then it's completely understandable. McLeish has managed to ruin N'Zogbia so I suspect the same might happen to Guthrie.

Some people on here have mentioned Guthrie as being a potential replacement for the ageing Danny Murphy so Fulham could/should be the more attractive option...

Jol...there's an argument that modric didn't move because Chelsea didn't offer enough more than he stays at any cost. At that time Jordan Henderson was moving for 22mill so its quite possible spurs were holding out for more.

It was well documented that Chelsea eventually offered £40m for Modric on the last day of the window  Levy turned that offer down flat.  Spurs weren't holding out for more money, Levy was adamant that Modric wasn't leaving under any circumstances.    I said from the outset that I didn't believe for a minute that Modric would be sold, from what I'm hearing it sounds as though Levy is equally determined that Bale won't go in this window.