Other clubs' transfers

Guest palnese

Still pisses me to no end that he'll stay at least one year out of the European elite. Amazing striker that I'd have loved to see at a top club with better service than Atlético provides (which is pretty shit despite their strong shape).

What a pathetic human being Falcao is. He will regret it when he looks back on his career and realise he's achieved pretty much nothing.

3 (?) Europa Leagues and a Super Cup is areet like

What a pathetic human being Falcao is. He will regret it when he looks back on his career and realise he's achieved pretty much nothing.

Yeah, pathetic man for wanting more money while also being part of an interesting project. I bet you wouldn't leave your job for a better paid one if you got the chance would you?

3 (?) Europa Leagues and a Super Cup is areet like

Won the Spanish Cup too season this gone, he's done all right for himself and who knows if Monaco continue this insane spending he might win something there too.

People should calm down. It's not as though the man has gone to MLS or UAE. He's playing for one of the most historically successful clubs in one of the game's most prestigious nations. He's already won the Europa League twice, the Copa Del Rey, the Portuguese league once and is on course to lead his nation to the World Cup. In fact, I'd say he's already achieved more than Alan Shearer.

I need someone to remind me again why all the best players should go to the same clubs.

Five people made the same point, while I was typing this. :lol:

Yeah, pathetic man for wanting more money while also being part of an interesting project. I bet you wouldn't leave your job for a better paid one if you got the chance would you?

It's a bit different when leaving a £40k a year job for a £50k a week one.

Falcao could no doubt get an offer where he earns as much a week that most 'normal' people will get in a couple of years working. This argument never works for me.

Pretty sure he'd been able to get an huge contract elsewhere and still progress in his career.

People should calm down. It's not as though the man has gone to MLS or UAE. He's playing for one of the most historically successful clubs in one of the game's most prestigious nations. He's already won the Europa League twice, the Copa Del Rey, the Portuguese league once and is on course to lead his nation to the World Cup. In fact, I'd say he's already achieved more than Alan Shearer.

I need someone to remind me again why all the best players should go to the same clubs.

Five people made the same point, while I was typing this. :lol:

I never got this either. We complain enough about players instantly getting linked to big clubs once they hit form, but when one of those players doesn't go to a traditional big club everyone is up in arms. I can see complaining about the nature of the transfers, but I don't really blame Falcao for going there, they'll be in Europe within a year.

Falcao could no doubt get an offer where he earns as much a week that most 'normal' people will get in a couple of years working. This argument never works for me.

I really think that people don't appreciate the short length of sporting careers and the high level of expenses that top level athletes incur. Most of these footballers are only earning top wages from ages (18-21) to (32-36). This money has to last them the entirety of their lives, which is 40-50 years if they are fortunate. Footballers as a whole also have very little sense of financial management (uneducated people in their 20's) and often have to rely on others, who end up taking from them. Many of them also are expected to support entire groups of family and friends because they are "millionaires" (95 percent probably aren't).

They should grab as much money as they should.

As a neutral football fan, I like to see the best players at the highest stage, pitted against the best. Personally I don't care which clubs other than my own are part of that stage, but Monaco aren't and won't be one for a while.

Falcao could have grabbed and still unreasonable amount of money playing for the Chelseas, Bayerns or Juventus of this world.

Sorry to tell you that this is how the world works, no matter what business, no matter how much money, people with ambition wants to succeed, money is usually a symbol of success even if it's usually not true.

it's not an interesting project though, yeah of course it's alright to say no need to go for the money but it's obviously attractive in that world for whatever reason

I find it extremely interesting that we now have a another club with mega money in a very decent but not that respected league. The French league now has two forces to be reckoned with in Europe along with two big big clubs (OM and OL) who could do well in Europe. It's interesting in my opinion at least.

Pretty sure he'd been able to get an huge contract elsewhere and still progress in his career.

Absolutely, but as good? Why won't he be able to succeed at Monaco? They're strengthening like PSG and might be playing CL football soon and doing better than Atletico are. He is assured of a good salary, good project, being the main man and probably success in one way or another. Don't see how his choice can be criticised.

I really think that people don't appreciate the short length of sporting careers and the high level of expenses that top level athletes incur. Most of these footballers are only earning top wages from ages (18-21) to (32-36). This money has to last them the entirety of their lives, which is 40-50 years if they are fortunate. Footballers as a whole also have very little sense of financial management (uneducated people in their 20's) and often have to rely on others, who end up taking from them. Many of them also are expected to support entire groups of family and friends because they are "millionaires" (95 percent probably aren't).

They should grab as much money as they should.

Sorry I still don't buy this.

As one of the best strikers in the world Falcao would likely get what £100,000 per week at this next club (minimum). So he is going to earn around £3.2m after tax per year.

The average yearly wage after tax in the UK works out around £21,000 a year.

So in ONE year he would earn enough to live 152 years by himself, 76 years as a couple or 38 years if he was completely supporting 2 kids.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident top footballers earn enough money not to just go with who is offering the most :lol: :p

Yeah I would, then again I'm not doing what I love for my job and getting paid a ridiculous amount to do so.

Yeah I would, then again I'm not doing what I love for my job and getting paid a ridiculous amount to do so.

How do you know he loves football? Maybe he does, but that argument gets reeled out quite a lot and I must confess I don't buy into it.

How do you know he loves football? Maybe he does, but that argument gets reeled out quite a lot and I must confess I don't buy into it.

He might have wanted to become a basketballer but was too short?

In the end it's like I said, it's the nature of the business sides of things, no matter what or where you work, most want to earn more. Unfortunately.

Small segue, just checked Falcao's wikipedia and saw this bit.

Falcao is also friends with Lionel Messi, as the two have been seen often shaking hands and chatting together.

Eh? :lol:

Anyway, Falcao's dad named him after a Brazilian legend and he was a player himself. He's been breed to play football and imho he's either going to love it or hate it.

I'm a massive fan of Falcao being an Atletico sympathiser and it's a shit move on his behalf but who else if he going to move to? Man City/Chelsea? They're effectively the same apart from the CL aspect, or Real? Wicked, that'll improve La Liga endlessly (not that him leaving won't diminish it further)

aka football is gash.

On a side note it'll be interesting to see what Cholo Simeone can do next season, he's done way better than I expected with Atletico as normally his change management season to season is poor.

Simeone is in for a big challenge. Atlético don't create for s***, but have managed to have two great forwards that can feed off scraps (Costa and Falcao). They are linked to Diego again which would help them a lot if he's arsed (and he was arsed in his loan season), plus people like Koke or Adrián need to take a step forward. Right now Atlético are a combative team with great aggressiveness and tactical shape, but fairly limited in their attacking play.

Good assessment, depending on who they buy (and how they settle), I suspect they'll be back among scramble for European places next season unfortunately.

Shame that finances dictate that they couldn't kick on and become a proper 3rd force.

Good assessment, depending on who they buy (and how they settle), I suspect they'll be back among scramble for European places next season unfortunately.

Shame that finances dictate that they couldn't kick on and become a proper 3rd force.

Only got themselves to blame for that, easily one of the worst managed clubs in the major leagues.

However, if they managed to qualify again for the CL next season, things could be on the up financially. They've been ran in a pretty sensible manner these past two years and they have paid off a huge chunk of their debt to the taxman.