Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Got a great engine, was always tracking his runners as well as looking to get on the ball and push forward.  If we had better movement in front of him he'd really come into his own.  HBA, Marveaux, Obertan, a new striker and hopefully Jonas will eventually help with this. 

Sadly, like most of our players last night, he was going too direct at times, just chipping it up for Best to nod on. 

Personally think we've got a class player here, his set pieces are mint as well.

Unproven at this level.

True.

Will never replace Nolan or Barton.

Who said that?

I've seen a number of people whinging about these two leaving without being replaced. Have to say I'm even more excited at the prospect of Cabaye & Marveaux than those two. Going to be much better to watch.

Yes theyve both been better to watch so far.

We've also just had to rely on Ryan Taylor to beat Sunderland & stop us getting knocked out of the Carling cup to Scunthorpe.

Dont get ahead of yourself. As good as they are, we've hardly replaced Nolans goals atall at this point.

See, you make a solid point about the individual goals winning us games (which I've alluded to already and attribute to our lack of style of play) but you make this classic mistake of believing that more goals win you more matches.

My guess is that anyone who understands football will be able to see that by having more possession we'll concede less goals as well.

Remember, you can win the league with less than 38 goals.

Except that as of yet we've hardly dominated possession in any of these games, so it is still getting ahead of ourselves to state anything like this isnt it. In general its far to early to state that Cabayes potential ability to increase our ball retention outweighs Nolans previous potential to score influential goals.

And i didnt say more goals win you matches anywhere, im saying we need someone who can score fullstop. Our senior strikers have scored 1 goal between all of them in the last 9 games for Newcastle.

To be fair, I'm not going as far as saying what cabaye has done so far outweighs what nolan could do (i still think nolan is capable of bagging 10 in the PL), I've just been reading this board for a while and have been getting bored with so many loud voices moaning about us not directly replacing Nolan's goals with any retort.

All ill go as far as saying is that if cabaye plays like he did tonight only with better options by him, like tiote, marv, Ben arfa even a working demba ba then we will concede less as a by product which is just as important in my eyes.

It's a bug bear of mine, like when people moan that we have no creativity in midfield and that we need a creative player who will magic up these chances when in actual fact our rancid movement means we aren't giving our midfield anything to work with. (Not necessarily something that has been moaned about recently but done in the past)

Cabaye has been so/so in the first few games, it will take time for him to settle. He has show glimpses of talent, his passing range seems excellent and does seem to have a bit of steele about him to.

I hope to see improvements from him, I think that will come, especially when the man beast Tiote gets back his mojo, he's been average and looked a little of the pace this season to, but its just a matter of time until Tiote comes back being the player we all know and lust over.

He was fantastic last night, they was he just stayed in the back in extra time and played almost like a Xavi role for us was brilliant, really allowed the players with fresh legs to get into the game. impressed with what i've seen from him so far and he'll only get better.

I still don't think he knows what his role is. Pardew needs to fucking sort it out.

He should play in a traditional deep-lying playmaker role. That is where he played his best football for Lille.

Tiote should be sitting in front of the defence imo.