Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I would get concerned if Chelsea, City or Man U were linked with him and Tiote but it's Arsenal and we all know Arsenal won't pay anywhere near what Ashley will want.

Not concerned at all.

Depends if they end up with a load of money from a sale

Arsenal have failed to reach an agreement with England winger Theo Walcott over a contract extension, but talks are ongoing.

The 23-year-old, whose contract expires in 2013, wants to stay and is willing to continue negotiations.

But reports suggest Arsenal will sell him  before the 31 August transfer deadline unless he signs an improved five-year deal worth £75,000 a week.

It wouldn't surprise me if we were sending out signals that we are prepared to sell at the right price. Not Sure Cabaye is really suited to the 4-4-2 which Pardew favours so if we got a bid of £12-15m we might be tempted to sell. I don't think the player himself is looking to go.

It wouldn't surprise me if we were sending out signals that we are prepared to sell at the right price. Not Sure Cabaye is really suited to the 4-4-2 which Pardew favours so if we got a bid of £12-15m we might be tempted to sell. I don't think the player himself is looking to go.

no chance of us selling for anything below £18m

If we talk about selling 'for the right price' and considering we sold Andy Carroll for £35m, letting Cabaye go for anything less than £18-20m would be extremely unlikely imo.

no chance of us selling for anything below £18m

No chance of anyone offering £18m either based on what I've seen of Cabaye in 12 months. So looks like he's staying.

I think he will, I agree with you though. I think he's a very talented player but not deployed as best he can be in our set-up. If he gets pushed forward a bit, he can control the play a bit more but while he can play incredible passes, he doesn't have anywhere near the metronomic control of someone like Modric

Would be surprised given the market if we'd accept anything less than £15-20m. While I'd be sad to see him go, I'd be gutted if it was Tiote instead. Hopefully we'll keep the pair.

Tiote is the one who I'd be more nervous of losing. If he was available for £15m I think he'd already be gone.

TRon you absolutely underrate what Cabaye is all about and his importance to this team. He is the link between our defence and forward. Without him we would be a midtable team like we were with Nolan in the team.

Cabaye is easily worth £20m in todays market. Not better than Modric, but in my opinion better than Dembele in terms of his importance to a team.

TRon you absolutely underrate what Cabaye is all about and his importance to this team. He is the link between our defence and forward. Without him we would be a midtable team like we were with Nolan in the team.

Cabaye is easily worth £20m in todays market. Not better than Modric, but in my opinion better than Dembele in terms of his importance to a team.

With 4-4-2 there's currently a massive gap between the forwards and defence. I'm not saying he's not a very good midfielder, but IMO we need to play one up front if Cabaye's going to be our playmaker. At the moment he's spending more time in his own half than the opposition's and it was similar last season. If he's  £20m midfielder maybe we aren't showcasing him to his best ability.

Some of his passing was just brilliant during the patch last season where played 4-3-3 and won 6 on the bounce. Be gutted to lose him, he really is class.

Agree he needs to be further forward, and and if playing 4-3-3 provides him with that platform then I'd rather we went with it.

With 4-4-2 there's currently a massive gap between the forwards and defence. I'm not saying he's not a very good midfielder, but IMO we need to play one up front if Cabaye's going to be our playmaker. At the moment he's spending more time in his own half than the opposition's and it was similar last season. If he's  £20m midfielder maybe we aren't showcasing him to his best ability.

You are right, I completely forgot about our 11 unbeaten run where Cabaye and Tiote absolutely dominated teams in a 4-4-2. Though I do agree 4-4-2 isnt our best formation, but I think it is far more down to a disrupted and not full pre season which is the main problem. Actually, I dont THINK, I KNOW it is that. He looks tired after 50mins of game, which is normal for someone who played until almost month of july and then never had a full pre-season.

Give him time. He proved last season over and over again that he has the ability to put on a string of excellent performances in a row, which shows his strengths since he came straight into a side without a full preseason and had to adapt to a new league.

Just like Tiote had last season, Cabaye will have this season. You need a good couple of games under your belt before you can live up to the pace of the PL.

You are right, I completely forgot about our 11 unbeaten run where Cabaye and Tiote absolutely dominated teams in a 4-4-2. Though I do agree 4-4-2 isnt our best formation, but I think it is far more down to a disrupted and not full pre season which is the main problem. Actually, I dont THINK, I KNOW it is that. He looks tired after 50mins of game, which is normal for someone who played until almost month of july and then never had a full pre-season.

Give him time. He proved last season over and over again that he has the ability to put on a string of excellent performances in a row, which shows his strengths since he came straight into a side without a full preseason and had to adapt to a new league.

Just like Tiote had last season, Cabaye will have this season. You need a good couple of games under your belt before you can live up to the pace of the PL.

I don't remember dominating many midfield battles last season but we did win a lot of games anyway, similar to how we beat Spurs this season. Defend well, forwards who can grab match-winning goals.