Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

We were absolutely hopeless from set pieces for the 2 months he was out injured too. Fact is we either have nobody to take them because everybody is rubbish at them, or that our coaching and general set piece routines are absolutely atrocious. It's probably both.

Its not just his delivery tbf even though its f*cking shit the movement and attacking intent in the box is f*cking awful as well.

The whole set piece routine needs a complete overhaul and if that means getting a set piece coach in over the summer then so be it.

TBF to him, we don't have anyone in the side who can actually win headers from corners either. Whenever he does hit a half decent corner, we never win the first header.

How does that mitigate for him? Nine out of ten of his corners turn our attack in defence.

TBF to him, we don't have anyone in the side who can actually win headers from corners either. Whenever he does hit a half decent corner, we never win the first header.

How does that mitigate for him? Nine out of ten of his corners turn our attack in defence.

I didnt say it mitigated him, I said that on the occasion he does put a decent delivery in, we don't win the header.

Which means, using your logic, that for 9 out of 10 of his corners, the opposition win the first ball. Even if a corner is poor, you'd expect us to come out with possession roughly 50% of the time.

Think before you type.

Amazes me why we can't even take a decent corner that doesn't go out of play before it enters the box. Cabaye did one today and I believe another one previously. Anita also did the same.

I struggle to find another technical player who's so useless with corners.

I didnt say it mitigated him, I said that on the occasion he does put a decent delivery in, we don't win the header.

Which means, using your logic, that for 9 out of 10 of his corners, the opposition win the first ball. Even if a corner is poor, you'd expect us to come out with possession roughly 50% of the time.

Think before you type.

How would you expect us to come out with possession when his corners hit the first man or go sail past the man at the back post? His corners aren't just difficult to attack, they're mostly impossible to attack.

It's absolutely laughable, and bordering on criminal, that a top division side is almost zero threat from set pieces as we are. There is no excuse for it whatsoever. We're forfeiting about 5% of our chances of scoring during a game the way we go about our corners and free kicks.

It's odd that more pressure isn't being put on the side because of it. The rags mentioned it earlier in the season, so we tried a couple of short corners and free kicks, of which they were even worse than normal so we reverted to type.

I remember rumours last year that apparently it was in Cabaye's contract that he was designated corner taker.

Guest neesy111

Just whip a corner in with pace into an area which the players will attack, is that asking too much?

It's absolutely laughable, and bordering on criminal, that a top division side is almost zero threat from set pieces as we are. There is no excuse for it whatsoever. We're forfeiting about 5% of our chances of scoring during a game the way we go about our corners and free kicks.

Losing much more than 5% IMO.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

http://i.imgur.com/JreS7bi.png

Average of all those percentages is about 24%, so we're well down on the amount of goals we should be scoring via set pieces. Wouldn't matter so much if we were scoring more generally, like most of the teams down the bottom with us.

Guest firetotheworks

What I don't understand is how he's such a good short and long passer of the ball, has a very good shot on him whether it's in open play or from a free kick, but give him the responsibility of whipping in a free kick and he doesn't do it.

Surely he must be being told to drift it to the far post? His corners when he first arrived were very good as well.

Even those stats are a bit misleading - one is Colo hauling the ball back into the box against Man City after a cleared corner, one is Elliot from his own half against Southampton, two are direct free kicks - struggling to think what the other one is but our conversion from your typical corner/crossed free kick is absolutely non existent.

Worrying thing is that it wasn't even any better when Cabaye was out despite Marveaux and Anita trying their luck plenty of times.

Even those stats are a bit misleading - one is Colo hauling the ball back into the box against Man City after a cleared corner, one is Elliot from his own half against Southampton, two are direct free kicks - struggling to think what the other one is but our conversion from your typical corner/crossed free kick is absolutely non existent.

Worrying thing is that it wasn't even any better when Cabaye was out despite Marveaux and Anita trying their luck plenty of times.

must be close to 300 corners with no return. Ba, v Wolves in 2011 was last success from a corner.