Yohan Cabaye retires

One of my favorite players seemingly on the way out. Horrible feeling, again - if true.

His replacement needs to be someone with pace and can drive the team forward.

It's Anita :thup:

I don't believe it. He left Lille for what, to eventually be back playing for a smaller club in Monaco? He could go elsewhere, to a champions league club, if he wanted to. I'm probably just still in denial about how much money factors into things nowadays..  :(

Nobody here questioned his ambition when he left a champions league club to come to a mid table premier league club.

I'll be gutted if he leaves as he is my favourite but I've been convinced for a long time now that he would be on his way so I wouldn't be shocked.  From the outset, he always struck me as being ambitious and having a clear plan as to how he wanted his career to progress so I always believed we were a stepping stone for a  move to a bigger club.

Surprised that he would choose to go back to France after all his gushing praise for the Premier League but maybe there are no offers currently forthcoming from England and Monaco have recruited some great players and will be a club going places.  I think his wife is also from the South of France so that may be a factor.

I don't think it is unusual for players to have medicals in advance of negotiations although sometimes the deals don't go through in the end.

If he is going to leave us then I would far rather it was for a foreign club than an English club.

I just feel sad that he lost all that enthusiasm from his first season with us.

I don't believe it. He left Lille for what, to eventually be back playing for a smaller club in Monaco? He could go elsewhere, to a champions league club, if he wanted to. I'm probably just still in denial about how much money factors into things nowadays..  :(

Nobody here questioned his ambition when he left a champions league club to come to a mid table premier league club.

He moved here to double his wages (at least). Monaco will be doing the same again.

Honestly, if he has to go - I'd rather it be to some mega rich team like Monaco vs someone like Spurs, Man Utd, etc in our league. Far as possible from our domestic campaign.

Dont really care to be honest.

You will once the season starts and we have Jonas, Perch and Anita starting in midfield.

2 good games last season?

No doubt. I believe he's a good player who has been off form for a while - a decent fee and I wouldn't be too worried if I knew it would be reinvested (hint: won't).

The fact it seems to be happening early gives me a bit of hope, mind.

Plenty of people back in France did at the time. At least coming here was trying a new experience in "the greatest league in the world". If he wanted to get paid shit loads while still playing in France why didn't he just jump onboard with PSG?

seems very specific to be made up bullshit like, passing a medical and that

with any luck cabaye will come out and fucking slate pardew publicly if he leaves, at the very least it might put doubt in the minds of MA & DL

it won't like, but it'd be better than nothing

I cannot understand why people "couldn't care" that we are selling our (undoubtedly) best central midfielder without an apparent replacement in line like.

tbf what do you want to see people doing or saying?  there was a discussion about it in the thread the other day, everyone is resigned to the realities of football and in particular mike ashley as the owner

i think he's class, and will go on to show it if he's managed by an actual football manager, but i don't know what my reaction to this can be other than: ok he's gone/going, hope we sign someone more suited to the managers style of play that might help us avoid relegation this year :lol:

I'm sort of in that "i knew this was probably coming but sort of shocked and hope its not true" type of feeling.

He's absolutely one of my favorites we've had in a long, long time.

I don't know, just felt like he'd go on vacation with family and he'd come back reenergized and ready to play here with some of his close mates and for the fans that absolutely adore him. (wishful thinking I know)

I cannot understand why people "couldn't care" that we are selling our (undoubtedly) best central midfielder without an apparent replacement in line like.

He was fucking gunk last season.

I do believe though he's a decent if not outstanding player.

Used in the right position and on his game he can be a class act.  Used in the way Pardews been employing him he's useless, also he's quite rash and so far from a captain it's ridiculous.  People may say ''I can't blame him for wanting out and so having no passion for the captaincy'', complete and utter bollocks to the honest.  Look at Coloccini, he wanted out but when he came back from injury his passion was visible from his first game back.  He was arguably one of the main reasons we stayed up, whether he stays or leaves you can't ever question his character.  Cabaye's a good player, not someone I want to see go, but not someone I'll ever shed a tear over.  If we're getting silly money then so be it, lets see who they bring in.

cabaye looked well up for it when he returned from injury with the new faces in the squad like, most likely dragged straight back down into depression when he realised pardew was going to fuck it up again

also the colo example is great, however since he's been here there's never been a cash-stupid club like monaco sniffing about him

cabaye looked well up for it when he returned from injury with the new faces in the squad like, most likely dragged straight back down into depression when he realised pardew was going to fuck it up again

also the colo example is great, however since he's been here there's never been a cash-stupid club like monaco sniffing about him

I've always liked Cabaye as a player and I don't blame him entirely for his shit form.  He's got loads of ability, I'm just saying he hasn't got the kind of character to be a captain.  I don't think it's really relevant which clubs have been sniffing around each player.  Coloccini was openly saying he wanted to leave at the time, yet on the pitch he was a captain through and through,  I'm not really trying to have a good at Cabaye, but I honestly find myself quite unmoved by the prospect of him leaving.  I'm sure I'll got accused of the same old ridiculous Ashley simpethysing bullshit as ever :lol:  But just watch me go fucking nuclear if we sell Ben Arfa..