Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

There's no stopping him at the moment. When he breaks forward he can try his precise long range shots and if you try to close him down he has the ability to thread a precise through pass to one of his teammates.

His goal is not being talked about much like, was an incredible strike.

Yeah - very strange.  Was a cracker.

It was very well hit but the keeper has to do much better.

Totally disagree with this - in general, a strike from 30 yards does pose questions about a keeper's competence but if you saw the shot from behind Cabaye, as on the TV replay, you can see that the bend of the ball and the placement of it gave Mignolet NO chance of stopping it - he dived in good time, but it was just too far to his right for him to reach.

One of the best long-range goals I've seen, in the class of Arie Haan of Holland who hit 2 amazing strikes in the 78 WC in Argentina.

He misjudged it because of the bounce. No chance of stopping it, ffs.

Whether you like it or not, he had NO chance of stopping it - Cabaye has hit too many long range strikes for them to be classed as keeper errors or flukes.

:lol:

Quintessential Merlin post, this.

As was yours - no defence of MYM this time...?

What I find strange is when experienced pundits who you would assume have a basic grasp of the laws of nature say 'It picked up speed off the surface'.  Sorry, it didn't as that would be impossible as grass is inert and therefore unlikely to exert extra force on the ball. 

Perhaps I'm a pedant, but only if you spell it correctly

What I find strange is when experienced pundits who you would assume have a basic grasp of the laws of nature say 'It picked up speed off the surface'.  Sorry, it didn't as that would be impossible as grass is inert and therefore unlikely to exert extra force on the ball. 

Perhaps I'm a pedant, but only if you spell it correctly

Surely if it's got topspin on it this could happen?

Guest firetotheworks

Isn't that basically what a daisy cutter is? A shot with spin that either picks up speed, or at least doesn't lose speed in a predictable way?

Isn't that basically what a daisy cutter is? A shot with spin that either picks up speed, or at least doesn't lose speed in a predictable way?

That's what happens, the turf may be wet which reducess the friction on the ball and it moves quicker than if the turf was dry but it does not increase speed.

Jesus, I am boring myself!!  Sorry everyone!!

Guest firetotheworks

So it does actually speed up in terms of our perception. I'm going to just take your word for it, you, someone off the internet.

Guest bimpy474

I always thought footballs move in the air because of striking of it near the valve. The shots that move in the air are because the player has lucked out at the point of striking it right on the valve ?. It's how Ronaldo lines up his free kick with the valve facing him, i think i read.

Or am i making that up.