Yohan Cabaye retires

Is this purposefully myopic? That's the only reason I can think of why you would ignore the context around the sale, tbh.

We're talking about a club (or vehicle, if you will) re-invented for this very purpose, for these very paydays.

fuck me i'm going all ian w here but does the context not count for the bold too?  it's not like ashley just woke up one day, decided he had to spend 250m quid in order to systematically suck the life out of a football club he had no association with

I'm not sure what you're driving at - Ashley's motives? Maybe he didn't go in with the sole intention of having the club purely as a advertising/money-spinning vehicle, but I struggle to see how the management could be more explicit that that is what it is now. Really, tell me what they could do.

Guest Brazilianbob

I said yesterday that JFK's remit is to sell players not buy them.  Thistransfer just reafirms that opinion, especially when it seems extremely likely that JFK and possibly Parsnip both get a cut of the transfer profit on Cabaye and explains why we have not and will not replace him!

Guest Roger Kint

Cant believe people actually care if he went for £1 or £100Million

Can't believe you don't.

Why would I? Its not my money. Its not the clubs money. The money doesn't get re-invested.

I want the player.

It does just not the way anyone wants ie transfers

Guest Roger Kint

I said yesterday that JFK's remit is to sell players not buy them.  Thistransfer just reafirms that opinion, especially when it seems extremely likely that JFK and possibly Parsnip both get a cut of the transfer profit on Cabaye and explains why we have not and will not replace him!

:lol:

Heard on SSN we are putting a dealine of tomorrow night on signings? So despite wasting two windows we are almost halving our allocated time to replace Cabaye  :lol:

This will end well......

Not only is it SSN but it's also an extremely stupid statement in it's own right. Not worth commenting on let alone quoting :lol:

Can't believe you don't.

Why would I? Its not my money. Its not the clubs money. The money doesn't get re-invested.

I want the player.

Ashley won't spend any of his own money, the only chance we have of getting replacement players in is by selling for big money first. All of it won't be re-invested perhaps, and definitely not this window, but you can put your house on that this will be what our summer transfer budget comes from.

Can't believe you don't.

I want the player.

Ok, im glad we can get more bore-holes.

Is this purposefully myopic? That's the only reason I can think of why you would ignore the context around the sale, tbh.

We're talking about a club (or vehicle, if you will) re-invented for this very purpose, for these very paydays.

fuck me i'm going all ian w here but does the context not count for the bold too?  it's not like ashley just woke up one day, decided he had to spend 250m quid in order to systematically suck the life out of a football club he had no association with

I'm not sure what you're driving at - Ashley's motives? Maybe he didn't go in with the sole intention of having the club purely as a advertising/money-spinning vehicle, but I struggle to see how the management could be more explicit that that is what it is now. Really, tell me what they could do.

i'm getting off at this stop actually - this place is gonna turn toxic and i can't be arsed

anyway was just meaning that in all likelihood there's very good reasons why the club has become the "vehicle" it has, maybe not good to you and me but good to the person who is down 250m quid or more

We're not talking about Real Madrid tabling £86m to pluck a star player from a team not playing Champions League football/paying inordinate wages, no one would be delighted with such a situation, but no one would begrudge the ownership either.

They've explicitly stated they don't want to win cups, they don't want European football and 2.5 years+ of evidence shows they're not fussed about entertaining or respecting fans.

However, you are their perfect fan. You will chalk it up to "one of those".

Who should we do business like then Beren? I personally think on the transfer side of things Ashley almost has it down to a tee. I think he buys well and sells well but often falls short in times like these when a replacement might cost a bit over the odds on what you'd like to pay but he won't do it because we aren't in trouble and we aren't pushing for champions league spot. Or if we need to push on, he lacks that bit more desire on the incoming side of things.

Overall I think he’s built a very good squad, better than the majority of sides in the league on a tight budget. People say we are a selling club and yes we are but who isn't? Most teams have to sell their best players at a certain point when a top club comes calling. We can't be that bad when we say Arsenal will sign Krul every window, Ben Arfa will join Liverpool, Santon will go to AC Milan etc. It's not like we offering Krul away for 8 million each window and so on. Champions League clubs will look to lure your players away and until you're in a position to stop that you an only delay the inevitable before having to give in to the players demands and accept the fee.

The only looser(s) in this situation are the fans. The club have got exactly what they want, contrary to the shite Pardew et al will no doubt spout after this and so has Cabaye.  I personally don't blame the player in this at all.  The club have shown no ambition what so ever and have made sure he has been in the shop window for the last 3 windows (at least).  He is now at the peak of his game and deserves to be in a CL team.

With the squad we have and some investment, we might just have been pushing 4th this season given the way the league is so open.  Not with the current ownership and management though, it will never happen.  I am not convinced spending loads of cash chasing CL football is the way to go either, however, we ARE NOT skint and are solid financially (as they keep reminding us) so there is no excuse to at least be competitive in the market and hedge or bets.

For me, this is worse than the Carroll sale, much worse.  Not because of the player we are loosing but more what is says about the club.  For those that were still supportive or on the fence with respect to the owner, DOF and Pardew, I think that is all about to change and the tides will turn against them pretty quickly now.  I sincerely hope they do.

Guest Roger Kint

Can't believe you don't.

I want the player.

That would be wasting money as we have already got one and dont need more. Please keep up

We're not talking about Real Madrid tabling £86m to pluck a star player from a team not playing Champions League football/paying inordinate wages, no one would be delighted with such a situation, but no one would begrudge the ownership either.

They've explicitly stated they don't want to win cups, they don't want European football and 2.5 years+ of evidence shows they're not fussed about entertaining or respecting fans.

However, you are their perfect fan. You will chalk it up to "one of those".

Who should we do business like then Beren? I personally think on the transfer side of things Ashley almost has it down to a tee. I think he buys well and sells well but often falls short in times like these when a replacement might cost a bit over the odds on what you'd like to pay but he won't do it because we aren't in trouble and we aren't pushing for champions league spot. Or if we need to push on, he lacks that bit more desire on the incoming side of things.

Overall I think he’s built a very good squad, better than the majority of sides in the league on a tight budget. People say we are a selling club and yes we are but who isn't? Most teams have to sell their best players at a certain point when a top club comes calling. We can't be that bad when we say Arsenal will sign Krul every window, Ben Arfa will join Liverpool, Santon will go to AC Milan etc. It's not like we offering Krul away for 8 million each window and so on. Champions League clubs will look to lure your players away and until you're in a position to stop that you an only delay the inevitable before having to give in to the players demands and accept the fee.

Everton, if I had to choose, but we have different circumstances - we can do things our own way based on our own circumstances, but Everton's is - broadly speaking - a good rough blueprint.

The rest of your post ignores the whole of my post. It's not about transfers alone, Brett. Stop looking at transfers in isolation, they don't exist in isolation, so why assess them as such?

I also don't care about being better than the rest of the teams in the league on a tight budget - their circumstances are different to ours, I care about maximising our potential. We're not. More incriminatingly, we're not trying to.

We do NOT have a very good squad. Liverpool have a very good squad.

I think when your bench consists of players like Mbiwa Haidara Marveaux Ben Arfa Cisse, you can say you have a very good squad. You can say Liverpool's is better than ours, of course it is, but they've spent shit loads of money to get it. We've built it up slowly and relativley cheaply. Not went wild like they did.

Can't believe you don't.

I want the player.

That would be wasting money as we have already got one and dont need more. Please keep up

Multiple redundancy?

I think when your bench consists of players like Mbiwa Haidara Marveaux Ben Arfa Cisse, you can say you have a very good squad. You can say Liverpool's is better than ours, of course it is, but they've spent s*** loads of money to get it. We've built it up slowly and relativley cheaply. Not went wild like they did.

I think when your bench consists of players like Mbiwa Haidara Marveaux Ben Arfa Cisse, you can say you have a very good squad. You can say Liverpool's is better than ours, of course it is, but they've spent s*** loads of money to get it. We've built it up slowly and relativley cheaply. Not went wild like they did.

A mid table team with a VERY GOOD squad. Righto.

Everton, if I had to choose, but we have different circumstances - we can do things our own way based on our own circumstances, but Everton's is - broadly speaking - a good rough blueprint.

Sure it was only a couple of year ago they were protesting against Kenwright because of the financial dire they had found themselves in? Might be wrong but that Porky on talksport is always havig digs at Everton fans when they criticise Kenwright. Sure all is not rosey with them. Maybe Neil could be more informative and tell me i'm wrong and he's actaully loved :lol:

A mid table team with a VERY GOOD squad. Righto.

We just average then? Run of the mill players. Mixed in with the rest?

If we had a top manager, i'm fairly certain your opinion would quickly change on how good our players are.

They'll soon realise Ashley won't budge and will get his £20m+.

He will take it to the wire, no point in playing chicken psg.

And Ashley will soon realize it's 15m now or 6m in the summer when Cabaye buys himself out.

Sounds like he got his £20m.