Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest Roger Kint

My problem with the deal comes from the timing of it, halfway through a season when he's been our best player.

Your problem with Cabaye and not the club then? Or PSG's mind fuckery with Cabaye?

PSG didn't need to do anything to unsettle Cabaye - Ashley, Pardew and NUFC in general did that themselves when they failed to strengthen the side after finishing 5th 2 seasons ago...last season merely confirmed his view that the club weren't going anywhere.

With all due respect, we were going to have to strengthen a hell of a lot to be more attractive than PSG.

If people think Cabaye wasnt going to leave at some point to sign for a bigger club they are fucking nuts tbh. This ambition shite is all well and good but we were never going to spend that much to rival where he wanted to be. It wouldnt be possible without silly money imo.

I have no idea why you are all wound up about it??? We all knew this was coming...

The only question is whether we mitigate his departure with a like for like (yes, I know he is at his prime and we are taking a couple of steps back) replacement (Cabella/Grenier..other) as well as getting in the striker we so desperately need (De Jong)

Nobody is wound up about him going, it wasn't unexpected, Pardew has been dropping hints for the last couple of seasons.  Its what happens next with the money, everyone knows it wont be reinvested straight away and its not going to be reinvested into building something that can challenge for a cup or a european spot.  Its about status qou.

Aslong as the club are not in any danger of relegation then nothing will happen.

"Ashley could turn up in the middle of the night with JFK and spit roast your Mrs"

:lol: :lol: the fuck

Always has to be graphic :lol: Never going to be 'he'd push your grandma down the stairs of SJP and be within his rights, it's his stadium afterall.." - had to be a spit roast.

My problem with the deal comes from the timing of it, halfway through a season when he's been our best player.

Your problem with Cabaye and not the club then? Or PSG's mind fuckery with Cabaye?

What?

My problem is obviously with the club selling Cabaye half way through the season, like I said in a completely unambiguous way :lol:

They don't have to sell him because a £20m bid comes in you know, they can turn it down.

Personally i don't mind that but i'd be wanting the player to sign a new contract and commit. What's the point in keeping him against his will for an extra few months when really we've only got an outside shot at Europe then be losing millions in the summer for not cashing in? Wouldn't make sense. Cabaye wanted to leave, PSG stumped up a fair offer. Reel the money in then look elsewhere to invest it, be it now or in the summer.

It’s not like last Jan when we were in a desperate position to sign players so paid little extra on top to get them early. We can bide our time for the summer. We've just got De Jong in which is a bonus and could still yet bring in a midfielder, i'm happy we have actually managed to get at least one signing in.

How is it now a given that we'd be losing millions by not cashing in now? If he continued his form his price would go up if anything.

But I'm not really bothered about the fee (obviously I'd prefer £20m to a £1), I'd prefer to watch the side with Cabaye in it until the season is over and then see what happens then. If we get £5m less then so be it, tie the deal up during the pre-season and work on bringing in a replacement properly before we're due to play competitive football again. It's just another season which we're more than happy to write off, it's boring.

RTG-esque in the way that people seem to think that if you say it enough, eventually it becomes true.

Sadly that's the case with a lot of viewpoints.

Maybe we should all come and join you in La La Land with Tinky Winky and Po, eh Ian?

Ashley could turn up in the middle of the night with JFK and spit roast your Mrs and you'd come on here to say it could've been worse, Llambias could've been there too.

f***ing hell, we get that people have differing views but to take them to the extreme every time just makes you look like you're on a wind up/craving attention.

:thup:

It's bordering on mental this like lads... what have I said to make you think I believe everything's great? Or that I love either Ashley or JFK?

It's actually like my posts exist in a parallel universe where everybody has a frontal lobotomy before being allowed to read.  Everything that's not an outpouring of hate is put down as 'being in la-la land'. Genuinely worrying that this is how people form opinions.

Whatever the scenario, whatever the general temperament and whatever the downside you consistently seek to spin it into a positive Ian.

That's great but you're constant desire to turn shit news, shit decisions and shit management into acceptance of our overall position in the big wide world of football is fucking nauseating.

I'm a NUFC fan who wants my team to compete on every single level, who wont accept not trying in cups, who wont accept anything other than maximum effort to achieve the highest place finish possible with the squad available to us and who absolutely detests being told that we can't compete or we can't match other clubs who are 'bigger'.

Fuck that, what's the point? This is a simple game of best 11 Vs best 11 and with the right set up and application, we can give any team in the world a game.

Do you think we were the biggest club in the world when KK arrived the first time? We were on the cusp of extinction and within a few short years we were an absolute powerhouse, all driven along by total commitment and effort from those running the club. I hang on to that feel good factor not because we nearly won a title but because everyone believed that we could achieve great things.

Don't make the mistake of thinking football has changed which locks NUFC out. It doesn't. We've changed. We've allowed ourselves to float along to virtual non-existence.

I don't ever recall people crying because AC Milan might want one of our stars. I remember laughing at shit like that because we believed in the bigger picture, in the general direction of the club.

I don't see why we can't achieve this now if the current owner applied himself and gave the football club and it's fans something to shout about.

You continue to accept the current situation if you wish, but I'll continue to demand better if it's all the same to you.

RTG-esque in the way that people seem to think that if you say it enough, eventually it becomes true.

Maybe we should all come and join you in La La Land with Tinky Winky and Po, eh Ian?

Ashley could turn up in the middle of the night with JFK and spit roast your Mrs and you'd come on here to say it could've been worse, Llambias could've been there too.

f***ing hell, we get that people have differing views but to take them to the extreme every time just makes you look like you're on a wind up/craving attention.

It's bordering on mental this like lads... what have I said to make you think I believe everything's great? Or that I love either Ashley or JFK?

It's actually like my posts exist in a parallel universe where everybody has a frontal lobotomy before being allowed to read.  Everything that's not an outpouring of hate is put down as 'being in la-la land'. Genuinely worrying that this is how people form opinions.

Whatever the scenario, whatever the general temperament and whatever the downside you consistently seek to spin it into a positive Ian.

That's great but you're constant desire to turn s*** news, s*** decisions and s*** management into acceptance of our overall position in the big wide world of football is f***ing nauseating.

I'm a NUFC fan who wants my team to compete on every single level, who wont accept not trying in cups, who wont accept anything other than maximum effort to achieve the highest place finish possible with the squad available to us and who absolutely detests being told that we can't compete or we can't match other clubs who are 'bigger'.

f*** that, what's the point? This is a simple game of best 11 Vs best 11 and with the right set up and application, we can give any team in the world a game.

Do you think we were the biggest club in the world when KK arrived the first time? We were on the cusp of extinction and within a few short years we were an absolute powerhouse, all driven along by total commitment and effort from those running the club. I hang on to that feel good factor not because we nearly won a title but because everyone believed that we could achieve great things.

Don't make the mistake of thinking football has changed which locks NUFC out. It doesn't. We've changed. We've allowed ourselves to float along to virtual non-existence.

I don't ever recall people crying because AC Milan might want one of our stars. I remember laughing at s*** like that because we believed in the bigger picture, in the general direction of the club.

I don't see why we can't achieve this now if the current owner applied himself and gave the football club and it's fans something to shout about.

You continue to accept the current situation if you wish, but I'll continue to demand better if it's all the same to you.

Amen brother.

I seem to remember KK telling Ginola he couldn't go to Barceonla and was staying put at NUFC.  Then KK left  :lol: :lol: :lol:

How is it now a given that we'd be losing millions by not cashing in now? If he continued his form his price would go up if anything.

But I'm not really bothered about the fee (obviously I'd prefer £20m to a £1), I'd prefer to watch the side with Cabaye in it until the season is over and then see what happens then. If we get £5m less then so be it, tie the deal up during the pre-season and work on bringing in a replacement properly before we're due to play competitive football again. It's just another season which we're more than happy to write off, it's boring.

Understand your point, would have liked that myself. Cabaye already tried to push a move through once for himself though, apparently made it clear again he didn't want to be here. You're only delaying the inevitable. Least the team can move on without him and have a few months to adapt without him in the side. And also the possibility of a new signing taking his role.

The only looser(s) in this situation are the fans. The club have got exactly what they want, contrary to the s**** Pardew et al will no doubt spout after this and so has Cabaye.  I personally don't blame the player in this at all.  The club have shown no ambition what so ever and have made sure he has been in the shop window for the last 3 windows (at least).  He is now at the peak of his game and deserves to be in a CL team.

With the squad we have and some investment, we might just have been pushing 4th this season given the way the league is so open.  Not with the current ownership and management though, it will never happen.  I am not convinced spending loads of cash chasing CL football is the way to go either, however, we ARE NOT skint and are solid financially (as they keep reminding us) so there is no excuse to at least be competitive in the market and hedge or bets.

For me, this is worse than the Carroll sale, much worse.  Not because of the player we are loosing but more what is says about the club.  For those that were still supportive or on the fence with respect to the owner, DOF and Pardew, I think that is all about to change and the tides will turn against them pretty quickly now.  I sincerely hope they do.

Looking at some of the postings on this thread(which defy belief...but then, maybe not..!)Ashley can sleep comfortably in his bed knowing that he can screw around 50% of fans over time after time and they will still bend over and hand over their dosh to watch him selling any player that is either ambitious or has proved himself whilst the Ashleyites will have to watch another(hopefully)promising signing develop and then follow the rest out of SJP.

Can you see any other scenario..? Too many have been brainwashed into thinking NUFC are a second-rate club and that thinking has become fact.

Guest Roger Kint

Still have no idea how he's going to find space in that team. Matuidi, Motta and Verratti are all good at what they do...

nd in the summer the inevitable Pogba(Pjanic) bids will make it harder

Still have no idea how he's going to find space in that team. Matuidi, Motta and Verratti are all good at what they do...

nd in the summer the inevitable Pogba(Pjanic) bids will make it harder

This is why I wasn't sure it would happen. If Cabaye really is world class then it could be a great move for him, if not he could come to regret it.

That's great but you're constant desire to turn s*** news, s*** decisions and s*** management into acceptance of our overall position in the big wide world of football is f***ing nauseating.

f*** that, what's the point? This is a simple game of best 11 Vs best 11 and with the right set up and application, we can give any team in the world a game.

I don't ever recall people crying because AC Milan might want one of our stars. I remember laughing at s*** like that because we believed in the bigger picture, in the general direction of the club.

The frustrating thing is that we are not even looking for stupid money to be thrown around the place. A lot of us criticised Freddy Shepherd for that. We are looking for decent investment, I wouldn't say Swansea or Soton were throwing money around in the summer but they invested in their squad, ok Swansea have struggled but thats not the point I am making, both teams have spent a decent amount of money to try and push on, it seems that Mike Ashley is happy with status quo as long as the status quo is in the top 10. Modest investment each transfer window could see us competing higher in the table. The league has been so open this season that if we kept Cabaye and added a few more players that we could even have an outside chance of a battle for 4th place.

We are in a decent financial position, I like that we are more cautious with our funds these days, however, there is cautious and then there is a complete lack of ambition unfortunately we fall into the latter.