Yohan Cabaye retires

Evidence does seem to suggest they that do try and better themselves so if it were within their grasp I am sure they would try for a CL push.

What do you mean "within their grasp" though? They've done well so far, nobody could deny that. But would they put themselves into massive debt to go from 10th to 4th? I just think sometimes how brilliant other clubs are is massively exaggerated on here. But meh.

Interesting to see if Man Utd or Chelsea manage to get Luke Shaw as well.

Aye, the likes of established sides like Everton and Spurs are bankrupting themselves trying to break into the top 4.

Evidence does seem to suggest they that do try and better themselves so if it were within their grasp I am sure they would try for a CL push.

What do you mean "within their grasp" though? They've done well so far, nobody could deny that. But would they put themselves into massive debt to go from 10th to 4th? I just think sometimes how brilliant other clubs are is massively exaggerated on here. But meh.

The summer after we finished 5th we should have took a gamble, spent 30 million at least. We bought Anita then forced next summer signings in early as things got so bad. That cost us but we've got back in the position to challenge again and the summer coming up is where we should spend at least 30 million again. Will we learn from our last mistake? I hope so.

The summer after we finished 5th we should have took a gamble, spent 30 million at least. We bought Anita then forced next summer signings in early as things got so bad. That cost us but we've got back in the position to challenge again and the summer coming up is where we should spend at least 30 million again. Will we learn from our last mistake? I hope so.

Wtf ???

Who talked about putting themselves in massive debt? I said in my original post that I don't want us throwing money around like nobodies business. But this season we have spent no money on transfers, there is a massive windfall from new TV money, would have it been outrageous to spend 15-20 million? I think given our expenditure last January many would have seen that as perfectly acceptable??

Again where have I exaggerated the success of Soton and Swansea, in a way the Swansea example of mine was poor because despite good investment in money terms they have struggled this season. But overall I would say both teams are ahead of themselves from when they came up, though Swansea would have hoped to push on this season but seems like Europe has crippled them this season similar what it did to us.

Aye, the likes of established sides like Everton and Spurs are bankrupting themselves trying to break into the top 4.

Spurs took massive gambles. They were throwing huge sums of money around without really being in a position to afford that. Paid off in the end though.

Everton have got there on good management rather than spending power. Something Ashley just overlooks.

Interesting to see Spurs sign all of their replacements BEFORE the Bale sale was completed.

The Luke Shaw thing becomes irrelevant if the club are on an upward projectory.

Ask Saints fans what they think of their club right now and I'm sure the general mood would be positive in terms of application from the manager and playing staff and general progress. They are playing good football whilst investing money and generally improving in league position. Same with Everton.

Why can't we?

Spurs are a selling club anyway aren't they?

I know what you mean though, there are examples of clubs around us doing well. but we finished 5th not so long ago. It's not like Everton are now an immovable part of the elite. They don't own their best player either.

No, its not going to happen, dont get your hopes up.

Interesting to see Spurs sign all of their replacements BEFORE the Bale sale was completed.

Ask Saints fans what they think of their club right now and I'm sure the general mood would be positive in terms of application from the manager and playing staff and general progress. They are playing good football whilst investing money and generally improving in league position. Same with Everton.

Why can't we?

Obviously Southampton fans will be very pleased, maybe less so now Cortese has walked. And they're on an upward trajectory for sure, but my question is how far they will push it. Remains to be seen I guess.

I know what you mean though, there are examples of clubs around us doing well. but we finished 5th not so long ago. It's not like Everton are now an immovable part of the elite. They don't own their best player either.

They are digging themselves into massives debts trying to get into the top 4 though, as per your point. Silly of them, should be contented with 6-10.

Wtf ???

What you moaning at now?  :lol:

Spurs took massive gambles. They were throwing huge sums of money around without really being in a position to afford that. Paid off in the end though.

Everton have got there on good management rather than spending power. Something Ashley just overlooks.

You say that, but they very obviously could afford it. What happens if the Bale sale falls through? So what, they're still sitting on £000'm's of assets to sell off if they really have to OR worst case is that they keep him, they add a load of players and they achieve a top 4 space to fund the whole splurge.

Call me naive but I don't think Daniel Levy would risk the future of the club for the sake of a few extra players in the summer.

Truth is, they and everyone else knew the Bale deal was happening and they proactively addressed it and planned for it. We all knew the Cabaye deal was happening and we'll have a last minute panic and then sit on the money.

Tell's you everything you need to know about the commitment of the respective owners and why they are the game. One wants to compete and achieve and one wants to run an indirect Sports Direct marketing department, at a profit.

Wtf ???

What you moaning at now?  :lol:

:lol:

You're not sympathising enough Brett, people are freaked out.

They are digging themselves into massives debts trying to get into the top 4 though, as per your point. Silly of them, should be contented with 6-10.

I never mentioned anyone else's finances, I don't know enough about them to comment. If they can afford the debt then good luck to them. I'm just saying every other club isn't as perfectly run as people make out. In fact many outsiders seem to think we're run well financially.

Can't believe people can be happy with this. Selling the best player we have without any realistic replacement. At a time where the league is probably going to be as open as we'll ever see it.

But rather than wanting investment into the side to push on and really challenge we have fans saying we're safe and should just sell on. f*** that s***, how can you complain about the owner and manager lacking ambition when you display it openly yourselves.

With some of the fans' views on here, it is clear that Ashley will be here for years and NUFC will be non-entities for that time. Perhaps another Derby hammering might cause the thick scales to drop from some people's eyes.....

Why can't we?

Obviously Southampton fans will be very pleased, maybe less so now Cortese has walked. And they're on an upward trajectory for sure, but my question is how far they will push it. Remains to be seen I guess.

I don't think that's the question though. For me, the question is 'are they pushing to improve every season with a view to breaking into the top 4?'.

I could get on board with that. At least they're trying.

We finished 5th yet they play better football, seem to have a very good young manager and appear to have a committed Board. If we can do it, why can't they?

Why can't we?

I don't think that's the question though. For me, the question is 'are they pushing to improve every season with a view to breaking into the top 4?'.

We finished 5th yet they play better football, seem to have a very good young manager and appear to have a committed Board. If we can do it, why can't they?

Fair points, I'm just saying that they are doing well up to a point. And I am jealous of the football they try to play for sure. Why can't we do it? I guess because we have an owner who's not capable of spotting and appointing a manager like Pochettino.

But I would add the caveat, Southampton's progress might well turn out to have an upper-mid-table ceiling just like a lot of other clubs' has.

(Also the most important member of their board has just walked, and the owners want out)

You say that, but they very obviously could afford it. What happens if the Bale sale falls through? So what, they're still sitting on £000'm's of assets to sell off if they really have to OR worst case is that they keep him, they add a load of players and they achieve a top 4 space to fund the whole splurge.

Call me naive but I don't think Daniel Levy would risk the future of the club for the sake of a few extra players in the summer.

Truth is, they and everyone else knew the Bale deal was happening and they proactively addressed it and planned for it. We all knew the Cabaye deal was happening and we'll have a last minute panic and then sit on the money.

Tell's you everything you need to know about the commitment of the respective owners and why they are the game. One wants to compete and achieve and one wants to run an indirect Sports Direct marketing department, at a profit.

I meant prior to Bale, well before him the big money was being spent. I mean around 2008 they started going massive money when they were floating between the top 6 and mid table and they gambled with big money. Some signings worked wonders, others were a complete waste of money but they progressed and Redknapp took them to a new level.

They do.

They do.

OK, one of their best players, their best attacker, whatevs.

Spurs after an average season at best, Sold Berbatov for 30 odd million but then ended up spending over 100 million in a summer. Where did that money suddenly come from? Surely that was major gamble by Levy? That wasn't even with perfect signings either, couple of them were huge flops for huge sums of money likes of Bentley. To be fair to Levy though, that one summer changed the direction of the club and has pretty much got them nailed in the top 6 now and pushing for top 4 spot...until AVB had a poor start that is.

Spurs after an average season at best, Sold Berbatov for 30 odd million but then ended up spending over 100 million in a summer. Where did that money suddenly come from? Surely that was major gamble by Levy? That wasn't even with perfect signings either, couple of them were huge flops for huge sums of money likes of Bentley. To be fair to Levy though, that one summer changed the direction of the club and has pretty much got them nailed in the top 6 now and pushing for top 4 spot...until AVB had a poor start that is.

:thup: risk/reward I guess.

They're clearly after the big money and have developed a strategy around that. Obviously it doesn't always work (Redknapp, AVB, Capoue etc) but at least they have a sell. Their fans probably broadly get their 'modus operandi'.

I just begrudge that Ashley's isn't football or competition related. It's a crying shame for a football club from a football area.

Why can't we?

Fair points, I'm just saying that they are doing well up to a point. And I am jealous of the football they try to play for sure. Why can't we do it? I guess because we have an owner who's not capable of spotting and appointing a manager like Pochettino.

But I would add the caveat, Southampton's progress might well turn out to have an upper-mid-table ceiling just like a lot of other clubs' has.

(Also the most important member of their board has just walked, and the owners want out)

The owner situation would obviously be a massive worry, as it would for most clubs who've done well lately, I guess.

As for their ceiling, it's hard to tell and very much depends on themselves in the same way it does Everton and others.

I fucking hate this dumbing down of our club though. This notion that we can't compete with other, bigger clubs?

Why not? Because we choose not to, that's why. That's what's unacceptable imho.

If you would stop saying things like "that'll earn you respect on here I'm sure" then people probably wouldn't be so hostile :lol:

Oh sorry, I'm the one saying unacceptable things. The spit roasting thing is all good aye?

You got a lass? Does she like a roasting? These are questions that need answering before we deem it unacceptable or not as right now it's just funny.