Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

I fucking hate this dumbing down of our club though. This notion that we can't compete with other, bigger clubs?

Why not? Because we choose not to, that's why. That's what's unacceptable imho.

Some people would argue that the reason is less money. I'm not saying we're spending enough, I don't really know how much is acceptable.

I agree with you in principle, I would love to just say "fuck it, we're NUFC, we're the best club in the world" because that's what every fan wants to believe.

If you would stop saying things like "that'll earn you respect on here I'm sure" then people probably wouldn't be so hostile :lol:

Oh sorry, I'm the one saying unacceptable things. The spit roasting thing is all good aye?

You got a lass? Does she like a roasting? These are questions that need answering before we deem it unacceptable or not as right now it's just funny.

This question will remain unanswered!

I fucking hate this dumbing down of our club though. This notion that we can't compete with other, bigger clubs?

Some people would argue that the reason is less money. I'm not saying we're spending enough, I don't really know how much is acceptable.

I agree with you in principle, I would love to just say "fuck it, we're NUFC, we're the best club in the world" because that's what every fan wants to believe.

It's not even that though Ian. It's like the Man City game back at the start of the season. That was an absolute given that we'd get humped and, a large part of that imho, is this ethos around the club that we're not as good as other people.

Well how can these other 'smaller' teams give them a game?

It's negative, it's defeatist and I don't think we should have to listen to it.

It's not about being the best team in the world or winning every game, it's about putting your best 11 players on the pitch and instilling in them the believe that we can give better teams a game.

Spurs after an average season at best, Sold Berbatov for 30 odd million but then ended up spending over 100 million in a summer. Where did that money suddenly come from? Surely that was major gamble by Levy? That wasn't even with perfect signings either, couple of them were huge flops for huge sums of money likes of Bentley. To be fair to Levy though, that one summer changed the direction of the club and has pretty much got them nailed in the top 6 now and pushing for top 4 spot...until AVB had a poor start that is.

:thup: risk/reward I guess.

They're clearly after the big money and have developed a strategy around that. Obviously it doesn't always work (Redknapp, AVB, Capoue etc) but at least they have a sell. Their fans probably broadly get their 'modus operandi'.

I just begrudge that Ashley's isn't football or competition related. It's a crying shame for a football club from a football area.

That's basically it, Spurs were floating around basically like us at the moment, up and down then it seems Levy just thought fuck it, let's back Redknapp to the fullest and just go for it. They ended up in the champions league and now some were even saying with the signings they made could challenge the title this year, wasn't to be but at least they have got themselves in a position now to even think that.

I read somewhere that Kinnear put a bit in the program saying 1/2 signings a year is what we should expect but i can't possibly see how that could ever work for a football in the Premier League. I don't even think that's enough to sit pretty in the mid table without something going tragically wrong sooner or later. Even with the saviour signings last Jan, we still nearly committed suicide, not out of the realms of possibility that next time we do actually go down. If we don’t invest this summer, we may as well just stop dreaming.

Spurs after an average season at best, Sold Berbatov for 30 odd million but then ended up spending over 100 million in a summer. Where did that money suddenly come from? Surely that was major gamble by Levy? That wasn't even with perfect signings either, couple of them were huge flops for huge sums of money likes of Bentley. To be fair to Levy though, that one summer changed the direction of the club and has pretty much got them nailed in the top 6 now and pushing for top 4 spot...until AVB had a poor start that is.

:thup: risk/reward I guess.

They're clearly after the big money and have developed a strategy around that. Obviously it doesn't always work (Redknapp, AVB, Capoue etc) but at least they have a sell. Their fans probably broadly get their 'modus operandi'.

I just begrudge that Ashley's isn't football or competition related. It's a crying shame for a football club from a football area.

That's basically it, Spurs were floating around basically like us at the moment, up and down then it seems Levy just thought fuck it, let's back Redknapp to the fullest and just go for it. They ended up in the champions league and now some were even saying with the signings they made could challenge the title this year, wasn't to be but at least they have got themselves in a position now to even think that.

I read somewhere that Kinnear put a bit in the program saying 1/2 signings a year is what we should expect but i can't possibly see how that could ever work for a football in the Premier League. I don't even think that's enough to sit pretty in the mid table without something going tragically wrong sooner or later. Even with the saviour signings last Jan, we still nearly committed suicide, not out of the realms of possibility that next time we do actually go down. If we don’t invest this summer, we may as well just stop dreaming.

:thup:

I f***ing hate this dumbing down of our club though. This notion that we can't compete with other, bigger clubs?

I agree with you in principle, I would love to just say "f*** it, we're NUFC, we're the best club in the world" because that's what every fan wants to believe.

It's not even that though Ian. It's like the Man City game back at the start of the season. That was an absolute given that we'd get humped and, a large part of that imho, is this ethos around the club that we're not as good as other people.

It's not about being the best team in the world or winning every game, it's about putting your best 11 players on the pitch and instilling in them the believe that we can give better teams a game.

It's sad because the next generation of fans will buy into the notion that we're a second rate club. I'd celebrate if Mike Ashley had a heart attack and died tomorrow, even it meant our club 'doing a Portsmouth' it would without doubt be built back up again. I don't go into SJP because of one evil horrible bastard and I miss it. I want to go back on a matchday and enjoy it again but until that bloke dies/fucks off I'll have to continue to watch it in the pub. He's destroyed the heart of the club.

That just comes down to the manager IMO. For all the fuck ups Ashley has overseen, the major ones have been his refusal to hire suitably qualified people in the managerial and DoF roles. Other than that I don't have too much complaints about our transfer business, we have done it as well as anyone, if a little too cautious.

We've shown that selling your biggest assets isn't necessarily avoidable or a bad thing if it can lead to buying better players to improve the team.  It's a problem faced as much by Spurs (Bale), Arsenal (Henry, Van Persie, Fabregas), Man U (Ronaldo) and Man City (Tevez).

You don't even necessarily have to replace the player you are losing, as long as you improve some positions in the first team.  We've been able to do that in the past where we had weak links like Danny Simpson or Leon Best.  Their replacements were funded off the back of other players being sold.

The problem comes when the weak links are less obvious in terms of what you can afford to spend on a replacement.  Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor and Shola Ameobi are the only championship quality players we have still getting games, we're also going to be losing Coloccini sooner rather than later.  If the sale of Cabaye improves us at CB and up front and his replacement is reasonably adequate, then it could work out well.

The opportunities for cut-price players to make that sort of impact on our team is reducing, which can only be a good sign, but long term it leaves us with nowhere to go.

You've just highlighted the reasons there why Ashley doesn't like to spend, haven't you?  ??? Spurs, for all their spending and good dealings over the last 7-8 years, have played in the Champions League once and are far from being a nailed on top 6 side at the moment.

You're not "doing your bit". You, and others like you, are perpetuating this shite!

Sigh.

Go on then, tell me...

I couldn't put it any better than what .com have said about Cabaye's transfer:

"Good business" then we'll doubtless be told, but another one those invisible threads connecting fans to their club has been severed when the proceeds are just trousered.

Sadly, it becomes ever more justifiable for fans to also decide that it's "good business" for them not to buy tickets - not just for meaningless cup ties, but for what are meaningless league games. Presumably the players would be fined for finishing in a European spot.

Rather than there being a riot (as the Cabaye song says), there comes a point when people say "why bother" to financially or emotionally back a club whose deliberate policy is not to achieve anything of worth on the field. Selling your best player - again - is a neat way of highlighting that policy.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Yeah agree Spurs have been managed decently on and off the field and they are now paying the dividends. They had been qualifying for the Europa League/ UEFA Cup for 3 or 4 seasons running and it was just a matter of time with some good investment that they could be challenging for the CL places. Funnily enough the season  they qualified for the CL they didn't have Europa League matches  :pardsgrin:

We've been been here before - some of us older supporters (such as me, Merlin and Wally McFool, etc) Better players have been sold off - all because it was good business and the club lacked ambition. Supermac, Waddle, Beardsley, Gascoigne, Ferdinand, Given and now Cabaye have all been peddled, whilst the club keeps on going nowhere as is as far from realizing it's undoubted potential as ever. Ashley will be loving it - Cayabe goes, de Jong comes in (on loan) and for some, all is now well with the world! Is this what many new fans are about - all balance sheet supporters? Makes me sick. :(

Aye, I might be long in the tooth and some will call me for banging on the same drum all the time. I'd rather that than be a soppy set of cunts though.

We've been been here before - some of us older supporters (such as me, Merlin and Wally McFool, etc) Better players have been sold off - all because it was good business and the club lacked ambition. Supermac, Waddle, Beardsley, Gascoigne, Ferdinand, Given and now Cabaye have all been peddled, whilst the club keeps on going nowhere as is as far from realizing it's undoubted potential as ever. Ashley will be loving it - Cayabe goes, de Jong comes in (on loan) and for some, all is now well with the world! Is this what many new fans are about - all balance sheet supporters? Makes me sick. :(

Aye, I might be long in the tooth and some will call me for banging on the same drum all the time. I'd rather that than be a soppy set of c***s though.

:clap: The next generation of fans will accept mediocrity as the norm. Sad state of affairs.

Aye, I might be long in the tooth and some will call me for banging on the same drum all the time. I'd rather that than be a soppy set of c***s though.

:clap: The next generation of fans will accept mediocrity as the norm. Sad state of affairs.

Don't think I'm as old as you dinosaurs but I agree with yous. It's fucking dire.  :thup:

Aye, I might be long in the tooth and some will call me for banging on the same drum all the time. I'd rather that than be a soppy set of cunts though.

If you're consistently told you're not able to compete, from all areas of the club, you''ll eventually accept it.

Don't think I'm as old as you dinosaurs but I agree with yous. It's f***ing dire.  :thup:

:lol: I'm not old at all, just wise enough to realise what is happening.

Players leaving is a fact of life if no ambition is shown at the club. It is important how the club react to this now and try and improve with that money. It's easier said than done to improve after selling your best player but can the squad as a whole be improved with that £20 million rather than a direct replacement with same quality. We would benefit from being a more well rounded team with a good Left or Right winger, Striker and Attacking Midfielder / Central Mid with attacking capabilities.

What would we have thought if we hadn't been part of the Keegan generation?

Pissed off as many were when Andy Cole was sold, we then went on to improve significantly and buy Shearer. It's always gutting to sell your best players and important how we spend that money (If we do). If we can improve somehow as a squad then the decision may have been correct one. The thing is Joe won't get anything over the line

Guest Remigio

Hello boyz,

Thx for Cabaye http://forum-images.hardware.fr/images/perso/4/sneijder.gif

I don't know if we can find a place for him in our team. Maybe for cup matches.