Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Spurs apparently trying to sell him. Different player to Cabaye and no doubt we would get fleeced off Levy.

the ultimate cheapskate meets  the ultimate haggler.

could get ugly

There isn't enough time in 10 January windows for them to come to a deal.

Guest bimpy474

Douglas hinting about Capoue.

Why would Tottenham sell him, is there another Capoue i'm unaware of ?

recall something about them trying to sell him earlier this window but could have mixed that up with someone else

It's not that. Just looked at Douglas's tweets and he mentions Capoue but in regard to us want him, and Matuidi the season because Pardew wanted to go two pure DM's behind a creative three and striker.

I think Douglas is hinting at a DM rather than a Cabaye type. Thing with that is we have no creativity without a Cabaye.

Pardew has no say, if (and thats a huge if) we go for anyone it will be on the basis of price tag not whether he's needed or not

Aye, although i do think Pardew has a bit of a say. But the players are bought on price rather than what the team or Pardew actually needs.

Dont think Sherwood is that keen on him, but he's not the answer to replace Cabaye. He's much more defensive minded.

Having another defensively minded player in midfield can give more scope to Ben Arfa (and others) going forward. Means they can pay less attention to their defensive duties.

Dont think Sherwood is that keen on him, but he's not the answer to replace Cabaye. He's much more defensive minded.

Having another defensively minded player in midfield can give more scope to Ben Arfa (and others) going forward. Means they can pay less attention to their defensive duties.

What others? :lol:

Guest bimpy474

That's what Douglas is getting at, he mentioned us trying for Matuidi the season before for the very same reason.

suppose having Tiote and for example Capoue with anita in front to link to a front three of HBA Remy and insert anyone but shola here could work but could get rather dull

23m for a very good central midfielder at 28 is not a bad deal. Considering we only ever use transfer funds generated from player sales to purchase players and never TV money, Sponsorship or Gate Receipts, the silver lining is 23m is a good whack to get someone in.

Are we really ready to change system under Pardew though? Just keep it as it is with a player in the same mould as Cabaye. Not pissing about with more formations when most of our first XI were finally starting to settle down.

I think a lot of you are overestimating Cabaye's value. 20m seems reasonable to me. If I were the buying club I don't think I could have justified much more than that.

And the comparisons with Mata...  :lol:

It's PSG though, they're shitting money out their arse

suppose having Tiote and for example Capoue with anita in front to link to a front three of HBA Remy and insert anyone but shola here could work but could get rather dull

It's asking a lot of Anita. He's not really an attacking player, even though he's comfortable on the ball and passes well.

I think we should get someone like de jong from ajax but there is actually no point in speculating as we won't sign anyone, pardew will say we tried our best to hold on to cabaye but we cannot compete with sovereign states and kinnear will say we have got enough cover in midfield with ryan gosling and bananarama

Are we really ready to change system under Pardew though? Just keep it as it is with a player in the same mould as Cabaye. Not pissing about with more formations when most of our first XI were finally starting to settle down.

we don't have a player in the same mould as Cabaye and your a brave/deluded person if you believe we're likely to get another one before friday. Anita's the next best comparison but he doesn't have the creative spark Cabaye has.

I think a lot of you are overestimating Cabaye's value.

Maybe from a buying clubs perspective. But without him we've looked like absolute garbage at times, he could very easily be the difference between 8th and 13th or lower.

His value to this club can't be measured just in $'s.

At the start of this window we needed a striker and some more creativity. That was before the Cabaye sale. We're now significantly weaker without even touching on the other issues.

I'm dead against slotting another DM in there when the spark in our side was on short supply anyway.

Douglas hinting about Capoue.

Why would Tottenham sell him, is there another Capoue i'm unaware of ?

They have been trying to sell him all window, Napoli have been heavily linked for a few weeks now.

Anyways i don't understand why would you replace Cabaye with a player while good at what he does provides no more going forward than Tiote does ffs.

It's asking a lot of Anita. He's not really an attacking player, even though he's comfortable on the ball and passes well.

neither is he really a defensive player much more the link between the two for me. Really liked the trio of Cabaye Anita and Tiote, Tiote to do the dirty work Anita great for keeping possession and Cabaye for that bit of magic in the attacking third. Without him, maybe put Sissoko in there and replace the flair with his running and physicality but its not exactly thrilling to think about it (and I like Sissoko)

Given his contract status and his unhappiness, it is kinda stupid money.

Inevitable sales, just hope we can get someone in within 4 days

He's got two and half years left on his contract man :lol:

The ball is/was firmly in our court, if we don't play him he doesn't go to the world cup so he would have had no choice but to keep up the same level that he has shown this season.

He has been such a fucking important player for us since arriving, that's what pisses me off the most about how obvious it has been that Ashley just wants to cash in.

I think a lot of you are overestimating Cabaye's value. 20m seems reasonable to me. If I were the buying club I don't think I could have justified much more than that.

And the comparisons with Mata...  :lol:

I'd agree with other clubs but to us he was the guy the entire team and set up was built around

I would honestly just move Sissoko (his natural position) central and start Ben Arfa where he was. It could get pretty dire to watch at times but this is the scenario we're left with now when its extremely unlikely we'll get no one in.

HBA does have that magic so he needs to play now.