Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

The problem was he sit too deep and did nth. I hope it's due to tiredness but in the mean time may be Guthrie and Tiote should start for us.

Guthrie did all he could today to make sure he doesn't play too soon, he was garbage when he came on.

I'm not convinced he's been deployed too deep. If he was deep then he'd be on the ball more, able to pick it up from the defence, dictate play and spread it as he says Pardew told him he would be doing. He's not doing that, but then he's not an attacking threat either. He's just running around and being another defensive player in there. Funnily enough, aside from today Guthrie has been doing much better in the playmaker role. I simply don't believe that he's a better player than Cabaye, so what's the problem?

I'm not sure, but Pardew needs to sort it out. As it is at present, all we're getting from Cabaye is workrate. Something Ryan Taylor could offer, and has before this season.

I'm not convinced he's been deployed too deep. If he was deep then he'd be on the ball more, able to pick it up from the defence, dictate play and spread it as he says Pardew told him he would be doing. He's not doing that, but then he's not an attacking threat either. He's just running around and being another defensive player in there. Funnily enough, aside from today Guthrie has been doing much better in the playmaker role. I simply don't believe that he's a better player than Cabaye, so what's the problem?

I'm not sure, but Pardew needs to sort it out. As it is at present, all we're getting from Cabaye is workrate. Something Ryan Taylor could offer, and has before this season.

When Cabaye picks the ball up deep (in that rare situation where the ball does not fly over his head), the "wingers" and fullbacks and Tiote are all pretty much diagonal to him in a congested area. Unless he can hit one of the two isolated forwards he has no options IMO.

If you watch a side that keeps possession well and utilises a play-maker you will notice that the fullbacks push forward in possession, and the wingers/wide forwards roam to look for the ball-  the play-maker has loads of short options(CB's/FB's) to keep possession  and probe for a more forward pass. We have no shape even remotely resembling this.

The manager's instructing the goalkeeper and the back four to wang it over his head at every opportunity and the wide players on one side have absolutely no movement, of course he's going to struggle to impact on the game ffs.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

All our midfield suffer when we play such direct football. It's unfortunate for the likes of Cabaye because Pardew's philosophy is completely nullifying his technical ability.

He was largely responsible for our first goal, a fact that seems to be being ignored by those labelling him invisible etc. 

How? It was Raylor who sold himself too early for Jarvis cutting in wasnt it?