Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

as posted in the "Twitter" thread but probably more relevant here :-

I think there is some mild hysteria regarding his start to the season. From what I've seen he hasn't been brilliant but hasn't been all that bad either. Just typical start of season stuff really.

But for a superb last minute save by the Villa keeper the masses may have been talking about his "fantastic" start to the season.

Ashley only wants to stay in this division. This lack of ambition has pissed fans off, and most likely players as well.

You sure on that?

I haven't the foggiest what Ashley wants half the time though have my doubts that that is the limit of his ambition. It would seems counter to his ever expanding empire, and everything he has achieved.

Run on the cheap, or at least without further external investment? Yeah, I can go along with that.

To simply stand still? Nah, not a chance.

Ashley only wants to stay in this division. This lack of ambition has pissed fans off, and most likely players as well.

The signing of Cisse threw me tbh, we really didn't need to spend £8m or whatever on a striker when we had one of the highest scoring in the league and looked nowhere near relegation.

People will say we bought to buy but we have never done that either.

:dontknow:

The signing of Cisse threw me tbh, we really didn't need to spend £8m or whatever on a striker when we had one of the highest scoring in the league and looked nowhere near relegation.

What?

Ashley only wants to stay in this division. This lack of ambition has p*ssed fans off, and most likely players as well.

Corpulent Mike is an opportunist, remember. He buys up/invests in ailing brands when they become available (see recent news stories on his mooted buying of a stake in Rangers, for example). I think we'd been scouting Cisse for a while and the window of opportunity suddenly opened in January, so he went for it. He knew we'd be getting a cracking striker on the cheap. I know what you mean though: just because an opportunity arises doesn't mean you have to take it. This summer's Debuchy saga has undone some of his good work with Cisse though, for me. 

Still think the Debuchy thing was far more complicated than is made out (ie they said they want £6m so pay the money ffs!). The player himself pretty much confirms this with his comments.

If Ashley's sole aim is to stay up he had no need to buy Cisse when he did.

I think he does want to do as well as possible BUT this is dependent on us not paying over the odds which like this summer will hold us back at times.

Pardew wanted Cisse to replace Carroll though. So it took us a year to get him. We all knew we needed two strikers after Carroll went but we only got Ba, just like we all knew we needed to get a full back this summer...

This is quite a frustrating tactic for us and Pardew :hmm:

He will invest but ONLY if he feels he's paying less than the player is worth

Ashley invests purely on a high sell on basis, if he can get a player for 20m who is guaranteed a significant profit then he will do it.

The reason he was willing to spend 6.7m on Anita and not on Debuchy was because of his age and high resale value.

It's frustrating but we know how it works at this stage, we are going to have soldier on and accept the negatives that come with Ashley's leadership as there is a lot of positives too.

I remember this time last year there was similar unrest and then we went and spent close to 10m on Cisse and everything was positive again.

I for one would not be surprised at all if we are active in January again.

Ashley invests purely on a high sell on basis, if he can get a player for 20m who is guaranteed a significant profit then he will do it.

The reason he was willing to spend 6.7m on Anita and not on Debuchy was because of his age and high resale value.

It's frustrating but we know how it works at this stage, we are going to have soldier on and accept the negatives that come with Ashley's leadership as there is a lot of positives too.

I remember this time last year there was similar unrest and then we went and spent close to 10m on Cisse and everything was positive again.

I for one would not be surprised at all if we are active in January again.

Decent post that.

It can be a bit annoying (very to some) that we have this stubborn approach in the transfer market, and that this model of ours (even though I think it's been ever so slightly mythologized) will bear mixed results.

Like you mention we know what Ashley is about now, so it obviously came as no great suprise to any of us that he's gambling with the current squad and at the same time saving himself some money.

I recall this time last year their was a real sense of indifference around what the side could produce. Was hard to envisage Ba going on that scoring run he did and Cabaye settling in as quickly. This season we know they are good players and that we're a very good side on our day. Just gotta hope that they can cope till January and when hopefully seek to add one or two more players.

I really don't get this logic that if we didn't bring in sufficient number of quality signings during the summer transfer window, we are to compensate in January.

As we all know pretty well, when we actually get close to January, we constantly hear from AP [DL occasionally] that January windows do not offer any value, because no club is willing to trouble a settled side, the proper time to do transfer business is in the summer, when everybody assesses his options, etc.

Cisse deal was an exception and we all know it. Freiburg was on a very poor run, they were in a relegation battle and needed to sell a big gun, in order to bring in several players to give it a try to stay in the division. It was a lucky strike, if we are to use FatMike's terminology.

Surprised no one quoted this yesterday.

Cabaye said regarding his future with Newcastle, “I'm very happy here, I've never thought any different, and I'm very happy to play for Newcastle. It has been difficult for me so far this season, I don’t want to make excuses, but I’m getting back to full fitness.”

Cabaye said regarding his future with Newcastle, “I'm very happy here, I've never thought any different, and I'm very happy to play for Newcastle. It has been difficult for me so far this season, I don’t want to make excuses, but I’m getting back to full fitness.”

It doesn't fit with the narrative that he wants away because we didn't sign his bum chum.

:thup:

Where's it from?

:thup:

Where's it from?

Cabaye