Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

So I can't laugh at Pardew neglecting to mention that he's been asking Cisse to play on the wing because I happen to acknowledge that Cabaye is one of our best players? Okay. Must remember never to have different opinions on different things, or change said opinions.

FWIW I agreed with a lot of what you had to say about Cisse and many of the players not being up to scratch in the other thread. But then again how can that be if I also criticise Pardew for playing negative football? :dontknow:

Dave, you know as well as I do that Cisse has only been asked to play out on the wing in the last couple of matches, coincidentally in the period where Pardew has tried to change the two men up top tactics and also a period in which our first choice right winger (Ben Arfa) has been out injured. To claim he hasn't been scoring goals this season because he has been asked to play out wide for a few matches is gross oversimplification I wouldn't expect from a good poster like you.

For what it's worth I fully agree with Padrew being too negative tactically, and needing to change things around, which he appears to be doing. I don't think just because I feel he can and should do better anything he says is worthy of ridicule, regardless of whether it is valid or not. :dontknow:

I explained the other day that I find a great deal of what he says makes me laugh. A lot of it is illogical and betrays what is really going on. It might be purposeful and that he's just trying to deflect pressure away from him and his team by coming up with outlandish excuses but that doesn't change the fact that I find it amusing and in some cases worthy of ridicule. The thing about the fans seeing training and that being a reason for our one-dimensional tactics not working man, it was fucking hilarious. I don't take what he says all that seriously, and I don't know why that seemingly offends you as me being inconsistent.

What's not in doubt is that Yohan Cabaye is one of our best players, and by definition we miss him. I feel totally comfortable in saying that whilst also laughing at Pardew's patter.

So I can't laugh at Pardew neglecting to mention that he's been asking Cisse to play on the wing because I happen to acknowledge that Cabaye is one of our best players? Okay. Must remember never to have different opinions on different things, or change said opinions.

FWIW I agreed with a lot of what you had to say about Cisse and many of the players not being up to scratch in the other thread. But then again how can that be if I also criticise Pardew for playing negative football? :dontknow:

Dave, you know as well as I do that Cisse has only been asked to play out on the wing in the last couple of matches, coincidentally in the period where Pardew has tried to change the two men up top tactics and also a period in which our first choice right winger (Ben Arfa) has been out injured. To claim he hasn't been scoring goals this season because he has been asked to play out wide for a few matches is gross oversimplification I wouldn't expect from a good poster like you.

He's been denied playing in his position (in the middle of a 3) all season though.

He's been denied playing in his position (in the middle of a 3) all season though.

Well, that would be because if what you are saying is true, "his position" does not exist in Pardew's apparently preferred formation, which begs the question: can he work as part of a front two or in other formations where he isn't the lone striker with two wide forwards, or is he another Darren Bent who needs the team/formation built around him? I would have hoped he was a bit more versatile than that, and based on what I've seen so far in terms of interplay and movement (mainly last season) I think he is to be honest. Apparently it is hard to accept for some people that a good striker can sometimes just have a bad spell of form in front of goal.

Well, that would be because if what you are saying is true, "his position" does not exist in Pardew's apparently preferred formation, which begs the question: can he work as part of a front two or in other formations where he isn't the lone striker with two wide forwards, or is he another Darren Bent who needs the team/formation built around him? I would have hoped he was a bit more versatile than that, and based on what I've seen so far in terms of interplay and movement (mainly last season) I think he is to be honest. Apparently it is hard to accept for some people that a good striker can sometimes just have a bad spell of form in front of goal.

I think his play when he drops off is pretty good yeah, his control is good and he can often twist and turn and find a team mate. I accept he's having a hard time in front of goal like, I'm more concerned about the team than him though.

I feel like I have to keep reiterating that point. I think the team performs better with him central and two players wide of him. I think it's worth 'sacrificing results' for a few games to get him central and get him more chances and get him firing again, because I think the team will function better. The difference might be marginal but we need all the help we can get at the minute.

If we continue actually playing just 1 through the middle and actually passing the bloody ball and attacking teams he's going to look bloody good when he gets back.

Yes he may have been playing with an injury but the main reason he struggled like everyone else was tactics, from a pure possession and creating standpoint our style has improved in recent weeks so he should excel in such a set up.

Not to mention he can pass to a RB now who actually looks to go forward and not a reliability in possession.

I mentioned a few months back that i felt he was our most important player behind Colo and our results without him sort of prove that.

Not only is he important for control and creativity but defensively he provides so much cover for the team and as an underrated and almost old school knack of knowing where to position himself and intercept passes and win tackles before they actually happen.

Not to mention his work rate is immense, buying Debuchy and a CB is very important for our defence but i believe also that Cabaye coming back into the team will also lead to more clean sheets and a big reason why we had so many last season.

His return cannot come quick enough.