Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Not sure why some seem so sure we'll get silly money. Certainly won't be as high as £15m IMO.

What makes you skeptical? Moutinho went for ~£21m and he's just a shade younger than Cabaye.

Moutinho's team won the league for a start.

Says a lot about his footballing ambitions that he's went to Monaco.

So Yohan, what made you want to play in front of 11,000 disinterested fans in a Russian-billionaire owned tax haven?

:thup: He's already been a champion in France. Why go back and play in front of 10,000 fans when he's been linked to "bigger clubs". I still don't believe any of this.. Unless he really only cares about money than Jordan is right.

As soon as Monaco came in, I'm sure Cabaye was probably set on the move.

The biggest mistakes have come prior to this summer/next season. The terrible 12/13 campaign (plus all of its causes), then retaining the manager is what will lose us any players/cause another shit season.

I don't think I can really blame the club for accepting a reasonable offer for a player that wants to go. I blame them for causing it to happen in the first place.

Guest bimpy474

Not to say this is right but Monaco have been buying players from Champions League teams, not sure why people think we could have held out.

I'm not sure what other clubs do regarding selling players to Monaco has to do with us.

Well because those clubs have European football to offer their players and still had to sell. With our wage structure and a manager thanking fuck we have no European footy. Well i think you know what i mean.

Not sure why some seem so sure we'll get silly money. Certainly won't be as high as £15m IMO.

What makes you skeptical? Moutinho went for ~£21m and he's just a shade younger than Cabaye.

Moutinho's team won the league.

Porto wins the league almost every year though. :lol:

I don't think £15-20mil for Cabaye is unreasonable, especially considering Monaco has no qualms about spending and Ashley is a frugal bastard.

Well that's a hugely dissapointing start to the summer... Oh no wait, no one actually cares because are summer was already ruined by Pardew remaining in charge.

Im certainly with people that it will be 15m max. Somewhere between 8-12m I reckon. Hugely dissapointing as he won't be replaced much like Nolan and Ba. Let hope bigi, campbell, ameobi and vuckic step up.

So they're in a much stronger negotiating position than we are.

The biggest mistakes have come prior to this summer or the season to come. The terrible 12/13 campaign (plus all of its causes), then retaining the manager is what will lose us any players/cause another s*** season.

I don't think I can really blame the club for accepting a reasonable offer for a player that wants to go. I blame them for causing it to happen in the first place.

I think he'd went there if we'd finished 16th or 6th last season tbh. They've just signed the likes of Falcao & Moutinho who have both left traditionally bigger clubs, and who could have signed for bigger clubs if they wanted. I don't "blame" anyone for Cabaye leaving. Big players leave, it happens all over the world at every club. It's what we get in that worries me on this occasion.

£20m ? £5m on his replacement then :lol:

The morons in charge probably think Gosling is more than capable of filling his boots.

Seriously though, Sissoko and Tiote, theres our CM pairing sorted, no need to buy anything.

Guest bimpy474

The biggest mistakes have come prior to this summer or the season to come. The terrible 12/13 campaign (plus all of its causes), then retaining the manager is what will lose us any players/cause another s*** season.

I think he'd went there if we'd finished 16th or 6th last season tbh. They've just signed the likes of Falcao & Moutinho who have both left traditionally bigger clubs, and who could have signed for bigger clubs if they wanted. I don't "blame" anyone for Cabaye leaving. Big players leave, it happens all over the world at every club. It's what we get in that worries me on this occasion.

Gareth Barry  :scared:

Well that's a hugely dissapointing start to the summer... Oh no wait, no one actually cares because are summer was already ruined by Pardew remaining in charge.

Im certainly with people that it will be 15m max. Somewhere between 8-12m I reckon. Hugely dissapointing as he won't be replaced much like Nolan and Ba. Let hope bigi, campbell, ameobi and vuckic step up.

Don't worry mate, nobody does any business this early. :lol:

Pardew said: 'I really don't think as the manager you can beat yourself up about it because we are what we are, we can't compete with those really big guns.

'If they come and they want to pay - and it's going to be very, very expensive for someone like him [Cabaye]. Trust me, he will be inflated - then we have to then go to Plan B, which is to get a replacement.

'We like to think we are going to deal with stories like that about all our players.

'You could say [Papiss] Cisse, Ba, Cheick Tiote, Tim Krul, Cabaye, [Fabricio] Coloccini - we have got some great players here.

'The type of club we are, where we are not in the higher reaches of European football, we haven't got that finance and our players are going to be linked to other clubs.

'It's flattering to us and to Cabaye to be linked with Barcelona.'

He added with a smile: 'I probably leaked it myself.'

:shifty:

I'm guessing the reason Monaco have went for Cabaye is because of his price, obviously they have a load of cash but they won't be spending £25m on each player.

They certainly could bring in a higher profile and younger player than Cabaye, as much as I love the bloke.

He'll be the symbol of the club, first choice French midfielder for the national team. I think this is more than just about ability.

Guest bimpy474

£20m ? £5m on his replacement then :lol:

The morons in charge probably think Gosling is more than capable of filling his boots.

Seriously though, Sissoko and Tiote, theres our CM pairing sorted, no need to buy anything.

2 in the middle, we going 4-3-3, haven't you heard :lol:

I'm guessing the reason Monaco have went for Cabaye is because of his price, obviously they have a load of cash but they won't be spending £25m on each player.

They certainly could bring in a higher profile and younger player than Cabaye, as much as I love the bloke.

He'll be the symbol of the club, first choice French midfielder for the national team. I think this is more than just about ability.

Aye, I can see him being their captain, etc.

What odds this money goes on Carroll and we see a 4-4-2 next season by the way. Sissoko, Tiote, Anita, Bigirimana for two slots, Carroll & Cisse up front.

What depressing midfield 'options'. Not one creative bone at all.

I don't think £15-20mil for Cabaye is unreasonable, especially considering Monaco has no qualms about spending and Ashley is a frugal b******.

Their buying a proven CL player from a CL team with pedigree in Moutinho. They're buying a French international from a bottom half team PL team in Cabaye.

I'm not sure what to make of any potential replacements, whether we re-invest or not.

I haven't a fucking clue what role Pardew was trying to play him in for the majority of his time here, so I'm not sure exactly what sort of player we need to replace him with. What sort of a hole his departure is going to cause, from a purely tactical point of view? He had such a mish-mash of generic 'CM' positions (almost none of which were right for him).

At this point I don't even know what we've lost, besides a player who never fulfilled his potential here.