Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

SD News is like going into Sports Direct and taking the till staffs word as gospel.

I posted before a load of articles all in the same week about some club's (not us) players being linked away.

It is not a sales brochure for the club ffs! :lol: It is just another way for Sport Direct to get their name banded about the media on the cheap.

"I am pretty confident that my owner and the club are in a great financial position. I would be a lot more nervous if we weren't.

"He's a great player, there are always going to be big clubs sniffing around him. We are fortunate to have him, we are enjoying him while he is here and long may that continue."

"I am pretty confident that my owner and the club are in a great financial position. I would be a lot more nervous if we weren't.

"He's a great player, there are always going to be big clubs sniffing around him. We are fortunate to have him, we are enjoying him while he is here and long may that continue."

I'm guessing this is our manager?

It's a quote from Redknapp regarding Bale.

... or Possibly Rednose on Ronaldo, I forget.

It's a quote from Redknapp regarding Bale.

... or Possibly Rednose on Ronaldo, I forget.

*holds nose* *deep breath*

There's a bit of a difference there though, isn't there? At each respective time, Bale and Ronaldo were two of the most prized assets on the planet and were always likely to gather around 100million Euros in a transfer fee. Not to mention the buyer was Real Madrid - sure, the likes of PSG have a lot of might in the transfer market these days, but Madrid will always be a different kettle of fish. Cabaye will go for a fraction of that price, to a club well below the stature of Madrid, whilst leaving for something we could theoretically give him if we made a few changes.

I'm not actively trying to pick apart Pardew's quotes on this occasion. Infact, those there are reasonable enough compared to others (for example, I could sit here all day and list the bullshit that came out of his recent transparent comments about the transfer window), but there's still an air of resignation about the fact Cabaye is bound to go. If we were sufficiently ambitious, he might even stay at this little old club who's so lucky to have him.

Not in any way comparable to the two cases you've referred to. But maybe you knew that. :pow:

Would people prefer Pardew to say he's not for sale and 100% wont be leaving only for Ashley to sell him anyway?

I'd simply prefer him to not talk as though we're of standing equivalent to Wigan Athletic. Even if the owner believes we are.

Would people prefer Pardew to say he's not for sale and 100% wont be leaving only for Ashley to sell him anyway?

I would prefer Pardew to have more integrity regarding the club - and his role at the club - in general, but that's not really the point. The point is, the whole club is resigned to losing him when I don't think we necessarily should be.

Edit:

I'd simply prefer him to not talk as though we're of standing equivalent to Wigan Athletic. Even if the owner believes we are.

And that. Exactly.

That being said, Cabaye might just feel his time is up on Tyneside anyway. And I think it's great that he hasn't sat and sulked - but looked more motivated than ever. It seems to be an increasingly rare thing these days. I just think the fact that he wants to leave is symptomatic of the fact the string-pullers at the club have next to no ambition.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I'm curious, could you give an example?

Because he has no influence in recruitment or sale.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Remember when we were a big club?

f***ing sigh.

That's the top and bottom of it like.

There's no intention to fend off other clubs from buying our players & every intention to encourage them.

Guest coalminer

Remember when we were a big club?

f***ing sigh.

We're not though, unfortunately.  We are one of the most profitable, but because we don't have a benefactor willing to dish out mega-bucks, we will never be part of the big boys club.

I can't begrudge him leaving; he's a genuinely top drawer player who could be a regular for a top CL team.  And unless MA packs his bags, Newcastle will never be one of those clubs.

Guest coalminer

We are a big club with a small minded owner

We are a huge club in all of the 'right' aspects.  Unfortunately, football has been allowed to degenerate to the point where only one thing counts - money.  And we can't compete with the big two.

We are a huge club in all of the 'right' aspects.  Unfortunately, football has been allowed to degenerate to the point where only one thing counts - money.  And we can't compete with the big two.

we can't be huge unless we are a world wide "brand". few clubs without the fairy godmother have that cache.

Guest coalminer

we can't be huge unless we are a world wide "brand". few clubs without the fairy godmother have that cache.

Completely agree.  Money can buy you anything in this game.