Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest bimpy474

Smells a bit dodgy to me.

We've probably been pushing the £25m rumours all window and now, at this late stage, we've stuck out a £14m rumour to drum up interest and make him appear affordable in the hope of generating a last-minute auction.

Blanc has constantly admitted an interest hasn't he? and PSG aren't the tightest club around.

I know it is hard to believe but I don't think we are always the ones leaking this info to get interest.

Why didn't they bid £11m in the summer then?

It's not hard to believe, it's naive not to tbqh.

Why didn't they bid £11m in the summer? :dontknow: Because they knew it would be rejected as it is only £1m more than the £10m Arsenal bid?

PSG have made their interest perfectly clear, why would we pretend they have made a bid to get them to bid? :lol:

I agree but people believing the club might lie is the clubs own fault, after we have been regularly lied to. Can hardly blame people.

Smells a bit dodgy to me.

We've probably been pushing the £25m rumours all window and now, at this late stage, we've stuck out a £14m rumour to drum up interest and make him appear affordable in the hope of generating a last-minute auction.

Blanc has constantly admitted an interest hasn't he? and PSG aren't the tightest club around.

I know it is hard to believe but I don't think we are always the ones leaking this info to get interest.

Why didn't they bid £11m in the summer then?

It's not hard to believe, it's naive not to tbqh.

Why didn't they bid £11m in the summer? :dontknow: Because they knew it would be rejected as it is only £1m more than the £10m Arsenal bid?

PSG have made their interest perfectly clear, why would we pretend they have made a bid to get them to bid? :lol:

Isn't it obvious that there would be other clubs interested? Fucking hell, this isn't rocket science.

Closer to scientology than rocket science.

Maybe PSG have just bid £14m? Or no-one has bid at all but Skysports are having a slow news day.

Why does there always have to be a conspiracy? :lol:

What do we achieve by leaking the info that we flatly rejected a bid of £14 million? Surely that would only put clubs off who would then see our valuation as unrealistic.

Pretty standard practise isn't it? Notify other interested parties that one club has made roads to actually sign the player; try to start a bidding war.

If the bid was at all close to what the club know to value him at then I could see the logic. It's no where near what the club want though. I can't imagine it's got Arsenal, Man United etc. scrambling around looking for their cheque books worried that they're going to be beaten to his signature.

It's £4m more than they were gonna get in the summer. Nobody knows what their valuation is.

What this information will do imho will have Arsenal/Man Utd etc wondering if they 'just' bid £16m, would it be enough.

Then they'll be told someone else has already bid more.............they'll still think £18m is a bargain because all they've heard, read and been told all month is that he's worth £25m.

"What this information will do imho will have Arsenal/Man Utd etc wondering if they 'just' bid £16m, would it be enough."

I doubt it because...

"all they've heard, read and been told all month is that he's worth £25m."

I don't know what we would stand to gain from leaking the info. I can see what PSG get and why Cabaye and his agent would make it public but I don't think saying "hey, we've received a derisory offer for an unsettle player" does anything for NUFC.

What do we achieve by leaking the info that we flatly rejected a bid of £14 million? Surely that would only put clubs off who would then see our valuation as unrealistic.

Pretty standard practise isn't it? Notify other interested parties that one club has made roads to actually sign the player; try to start a bidding war.

If the bid was at all close to what the club know to value him at then I could see the logic. It's no where near what the club want though. I can't imagine it's got Arsenal, Man United etc. scrambling around looking for their cheque books worried that they're going to be beaten to his signature.

It's £4m more than they were gonna get in the summer. Nobody knows what their valuation is.

What this information will do imho will have Arsenal/Man Utd etc wondering if they 'just' bid £16m, would it be enough.

Then they'll be told someone else has already bid more.............they'll still think £18m is a bargain because all they've heard, read and been told all month is that he's worth £25m.

"What this information will do imho will have Arsenal/Man Utd etc wondering if they 'just' bid £16m, would it be enough."

I doubt it because...

I don't know what we would stand to gain from leaking the info. I can see what PSG get and why Cabaye and his agent would make it public but I don't think saying "hey, we've received a derisory offer for an unsettle player" does anything for NUFC.

We'll deliberately bench him against Norwich to make it look like he is on strike, then we will force him to make an apology.

I doubt it because...

YOU think it's derisory. Maybe they don't.

What's to say that they wouldn't take £15m and they are therefore making this 'bid' public in order to achieve that?

I would say that it placates fans who are pissed off about us not signing anyone ('at least we kept our best players') but other than to laugh at us I'm not convinced they give a fuck what the fans think. Perhaps those half-season ticket sales aren't going well or a lot of people aren't renewing for next season or something.

Maybe Joe and Mike were just bored.

I would say that it placates fans who are pissed off about us not signing anyone ('at least we kept our best players') but other than to laugh at us I'm not convinced they give a fuck what the fans think. Perhaps those half-season ticket sales aren't going well or a lot of people aren't renewing for next season or something.

Well it's clearly not fucking working :lol:

I doubt it because...

We'll deliberately bench him against Norwich to make it look like he is on strike, then we will force him to make an apology.

This type of post explains why you're struggling with children's algebra :lol:.

Not on here so much, but every time I go to SJP I'm staggered by how many people seem to get their information from the tabloid media alone and believe what they read verbatim.

Still makes me laugh that we would apparently snap their hands off for anything above 15m.

Because history really does imply that :lol:

Unless PSG at least doubles their price... oh and how do we know PSG didn't leak the story to unsettle the player?

But nah we have to be negative and we must have leaked it. :lol:

I doubt it because...

This type of post explains why you're struggling with children's algebra :lol:.

Nah you're right, completely got me there.

I doubt it because...

YOU think it's derisory. Maybe they don't.

What's to say that they wouldn't take £15m and they are therefore making this 'bid' public in order to achieve that?

Why, if you'd take £15m for a player, would you reject a bid of £14m completely out of hand? I'm not a businessman but that makes no sense to me. It doesn't really send the right signals.

This is all speculative bullshit with absolutely no grounding in reality. All we know is a club made a bid for a player that they've been interested in for quite some time and we rejected it because it didn't come anywhere close to matching the public valuation we've placed on his head. It doesn't seem particularly difficult to understand nor does it seem particularly far-fetched.

Not on here so much, but every time I go to SJP I'm staggered by how many people seem to get their information from the tabloid media alone and believe what they read verbatim.

This place exists in a world of its own. The anti-Pardew stuff proves that.

Sometimes I think that, when so many people away from here don't get the dislike. But if someone were to ask me, genuinely, if I was totally honest - were my opinions of Pardew influenced by any agenda (for want of a better word) on this place, I'd honestly say no. It's a weird one, really. It still surprises me when I hear Newcastle fans not being pissed off about the same things that piss me off - to me they're so 'obvious'. But there you go, that's what it's all about.

He's a better player than Matuidi and better than Verratti right now.

Yep, he'll get games for PSG and keep his place in the France team I'm sure of that. Wishful thinking people claiming he won't want to move now when he's in a good run of form for us.

Guest bimpy474

To be fair, we have a lot more reason to be negative than positive, with regards to our dealings in the transfer market from recent seasons like. :lol:

There's reasons to be fed up but we don't really have a track record of flogging our stars for anything other than astronomical sums.

If we dont buy a player this window, by the end of the season it'll be 18 months without buying a senior player.

Even if you dont sell anyone that would leave you behind everyone else. Standing still at best.

To be fair, we have a lot more reason to be negative than positive, with regards to our dealings in the transfer market from recent seasons like. :lol:

There's reasons to be fed up but we don't really have a track record of flogging our stars for anything other than astronomical sums.

True, plus we know PSG are minted so wouldnt surprise me that we will milk them for every penny we can get.

I'm sure you're right, the players we have bought and sold have consistently left the team considerably weaker. Pardew has been doing an astonishing job with the shit players hes been given.

I would say that it placates fans who are p*ssed off about us not signing anyone ('at least we kept our best players') but other than to laugh at us I'm not convinced they give a f*** what the fans think. Perhaps those half-season ticket sales aren't going well or a lot of people aren't renewing for next season or something.

Well it's clearly not f***ing working :lol:

:lol:

I would say that it placates fans who are p*ssed off about us not signing anyone ('at least we kept our best players') but other than to laugh at us I'm not convinced they give a f*** what the fans think. Perhaps those half-season ticket sales aren't going well or a lot of people aren't renewing for next season or something.

Was it 82% of supporters in the Ronny poll who were either very happy or happy with him?

Guest bimpy474

Was it 82% of supporters in the Ronny poll who were either very happy or happy with him?

Well that's only 18% of people who are normal.

Demba Ba, Shay Given, Jose Enrique, Habib Beye, Fraser Forster, N'Zog, Perch - none of them went for astronomical sums.

In fact, take Carroll out of the equation and they've probably performed about average - some players leaving for more than they were worth and some less.