Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest bimpy474

Can't believe people still need convincing that we generally buy and sell players based on the money we can make and not the actual needs of the team at any given time.

Boggles my mind people still dont see this.

To be fair, we have a lot more reason to be negative than positive, with regards to our dealings in the transfer market from recent seasons like. :lol:

There's reasons to be fed up but we don't really have a track record of flogging our stars for anything other than astronomical sums.

Demba Ba, Shay Given, Jose Enrique, Habib Beye, Fraser Forster, N'Zog, Perch - none of them went for astronomical sums.

In fact, take Carroll out of the equation and they've probably performed about average - some players leaving for more than they were worth and some less.

:lol:

Which one went for more than they were worth?

Contract clause after signing on a free

Contract about to expire

Contract about to expire

Relegated and wanted out

Young, third choice keeper, most surprised we actually got the fee we did

Pissed off by Kinnear/stroppy bollocks looking for an excuse to leave after Duff took his place

Contract running down and deemed not worth keeping.

How many of our "stars" have we actually sold on for a big profit? I count one and if you find a single person who now thinks we shouldn't have sold Carrroll for a British record fee then I have severe concerns about them.

That wasn't the point he was making though was it? How many of our players have gone for 'Astronomical fees'?

Apologies, so your point was we don't really sell our best players :thup:

No my point was, AC apart, we've got no track record of achieving astronomical fees for players, as had been claimed.

Hope your maths tutor can bring an English tutor with him too.

That might be because, AC apart, we don't often sell our best players.

:lol: you made the point originally and now you're saying we don't sell our best players. Cracking point.

Can't believe people still need convincing that we generally buy and sell players based on the money we can make and not the actual needs of the team at any given time.

Boggles my mind people still dont see this.

Pardew has a 82% approval rating nothing should boggle your mind after that.

To be fair, we have a lot more reason to be negative than positive, with regards to our dealings in the transfer market from recent seasons like. :lol:

There's reasons to be fed up but we don't really have a track record of flogging our stars for anything other than astronomical sums.

Demba Ba, Shay Given, Jose Enrique, Habib Beye, Fraser Forster, N'Zog, Perch - none of them went for astronomical sums.

In fact, take Carroll out of the equation and they've probably performed about average - some players leaving for more than they were worth and some less.

Contract about to expire

Contract about to expire

Relegated and wanted out

Pissed off by Kinnear/stroppy bollocks looking for an excuse to leave after Duff took his place

How many of our "stars" have we actually sold on for a big profit? I count one and if you find a single person who now thinks we shouldn't have sold Carrroll for a British record fee then I have severe concerns about them.

That wasn't the point he was making though was it? How many of our players have gone for 'Astronomical fees'?

No my point was, AC apart, we've got no track record of achieving astronomical fees for players, as had been claimed.

:lol: you made the point originally and now you're saying we don't sell our best players. Cracking point.

We don't often sell our best players however when we do we get substantial fees. It's not particularly difficult to understand.

Contract about to expire

Contract about to expire

Relegated and wanted out

Can you recommend me a science teacher so I can get in before Minhosa?

Contract about to expire

Contract about to expire

Relegated and wanted out

We don't often sell our best players however when we do we get substantial fees. It's not particularly difficult to understand.

You said astronomical. I'm just waiting for a couple of examples of this unbelievable roi.

Interesting that sky sports were the original source of this offer/rejection too...........

Think it was the Press Association.

SSN seemed to report first but stand corrected if that's the case.

SSN probably got it at the same time as Press Association or got it off them as there was next to no delay between both saying it.

Just saw this (ie. thread title). Good news/bad news.

If PSG have really tabled an offer, it's good we've rejected it, but with their deep pockets it's all but a formality if they want him given our owners/ambition. Makes little difference seeing as our season is effectively a floating turd at this point and our foreseeable future the same.

Maybe more money might nudge Ashley towards the door marginally faster. :dontknow:

Did anyone read  this column from the Secret Footballer?

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/14959/text-what-text-kenwyne-jones-the-truth/

"Clubs feed the public domain with stories like this all the time. I can remember a similar thing happening to a goalkeeper who I used to play with – the nicest, most professional and seriously talented player you could ever wish to meet.

He did extremely well for our club and, as a result, he attracted a lot of interest from clubs in the top four. Eventually, one of those clubs put some serious money on the table.

Understandably, our club did not want to sell him but, instead of rejecting the offer and releasing a statement, they rejected the offer and came up with their own plan. These days, it is not enough to simply reject an offer because there is so much money in the game that clubs are rarely put off by the size of a transfer fee alone.

Our club knew that their goalkeeper would be the subject of further bids if it did not nip the situation in the bud immediately.

On the Friday before a big game, the manager asked our goalkeeper if he was OK to play? Perhaps his heart was elsewhere, maybe he needed to have a weekend on his own to take his mind off things? “No,” replied our goalkeeper, “I’m fine with everything and looking forward to the game.”

The following day the papers were littered with one quote from our manager: “We dropped the player for the weekend’s match,” he said, “because it was clear that his head was all over the place and he couldn’t deal with all the speculation.”

And that was it. No more bids from the interested club; in fact, no more bids from anybody.

Who wants a player, especially a goalkeeper, who crumbles under a bit of pressure? It was very clever and, at the same time, extremely vindictive."

Add to this Wenger's comments about not paying so much for a 'squad player', and in August at least we had our player put perfectly in his place.  Could this be happening again (if you think it could have happened then)?

Did anyone read  this column from the Secret Footballer?

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/14959/text-what-text-kenwyne-jones-the-truth/

"Clubs feed the public domain with stories like this all the time. I can remember a similar thing happening to a goalkeeper who I used to play with – the nicest, most professional and seriously talented player you could ever wish to meet.

He did extremely well for our club and, as a result, he attracted a lot of interest from clubs in the top four. Eventually, one of those clubs put some serious money on the table.

Understandably, our club did not want to sell him but, instead of rejecting the offer and releasing a statement, they rejected the offer and came up with their own plan. These days, it is not enough to simply reject an offer because there is so much money in the game that clubs are rarely put off by the size of a transfer fee alone.

Our club knew that their goalkeeper would be the subject of further bids if it did not nip the situation in the bud immediately.

On the Friday before a big game, the manager asked our goalkeeper if he was OK to play? Perhaps his heart was elsewhere, maybe he needed to have a weekend on his own to take his mind off things? “No,” replied our goalkeeper, “I’m fine with everything and looking forward to the game.”

The following day the papers were littered with one quote from our manager: “We dropped the player for the weekend’s match,” he said, “because it was clear that his head was all over the place and he couldn’t deal with all the speculation.”

And that was it. No more bids from the interested club; in fact, no more bids from anybody.

Who wants a player, especially a goalkeeper, who crumbles under a bit of pressure? It was very clever and, at the same time, extremely vindictive."

Add to this Wenger's comments about not paying so much for a 'squad player', and in August at least we had our player put perfectly in his place.  Could this be happening again (if you think it could have happened then)?

Are you suggesting we did the dirty on Cabaye so that nobody would offer anything for him and we get to keep an unhappy player?

Sounds about as plausible as some of the other ludicrous conspiracies demonising the club on here.

Nah, I'm not.  The column suggests that 'a club' did  this to 'a player' at some point.  Being the source which it is, there always seems to be a pro-player angle, perhaps naturally.  We do appear to have been through a similar situation as far as bidding goes, but what we got was a re-focussed player who has hit great form since.  That said, I have no idea whether our player refused to play against City, and would like to know what effect Wenger's comments may have had.  People have said further up that players 'dont think like that' when others have suggested they would struggle to displace a regular at a new club.  Well, Cabaye would have had to think about this, even if to dismiss the suggestion to himself

I can imagine Ashley and JFK flying upside down in his private jet right now just like those cowboys in Clint Eastwoods Any which way you can saying "I say what we have here boys is a bidding war"