Yohan Cabaye retires

Why does there always have to be a conspiracy? :lol:

What do we achieve by leaking the info that we flatly rejected a bid of £14 million? Surely that would only put clubs off who would then see our valuation as unrealistic.

Pretty standard practise isn't it? Notify other interested parties that one club has made roads to actually sign the player; try to start a bidding war.

If the bid was at all close to what the club know to value him at then I could see the logic. It's no where near what the club want though. I can't imagine it's got Arsenal, Man United etc. scrambling around looking for their cheque books worried that they're going to be beaten to his signature.

It's £4m more than they were gonna get in the summer. Nobody knows what their valuation is.

What this information will do imho will have Arsenal/Man Utd etc wondering if they 'just' bid £16m, would it be enough.

Then they'll be told someone else has already bid more.............they'll still think £18m is a bargain because all they've heard, read and been told all month is that he's worth £25m.

"What this information will do imho will have Arsenal/Man Utd etc wondering if they 'just' bid £16m, would it be enough."

I doubt it because...

"all they've heard, read and been told all month is that he's worth £25m."

I don't know what we would stand to gain from leaking the info. I can see what PSG get and why Cabaye and his agent would make it public but I don't think saying "hey, we've received a derisory offer for an unsettle player" does anything for NUFC.

YOU think it's derisory. Maybe they don't.

What's to say that they wouldn't take £15m and they are therefore making this 'bid' public in order to achieve that?

Why, if you'd take £15m for a player, would you reject a bid of £14m completely out of hand? I'm not a businessman but that makes no sense to me. It doesn't really send the right signals.

This is all speculative bullshit with absolutely no grounding in reality. All we know is a club made a bid for a player that they've been interested in for quite some time and we rejected it because it didn't come anywhere close to matching the public valuation we've placed on his head. It doesn't seem particularly difficult to understand nor does it seem particularly far-fetched.

There's still potentially 2 other cash rich runners in the race and the deadline is looming. Big factors I should think.

To be fair, we have a lot more reason to be negative than positive, with regards to our dealings in the transfer market from recent seasons like. :lol:

There's reasons to be fed up but we don't really have a track record of flogging our stars for anything other than astronomical sums.

Demba Ba, Shay Given, Jose Enrique, Habib Beye, Fraser Forster, N'Zog, Perch - none of them went for astronomical sums.

In fact, take Carroll out of the equation and they've probably performed about average - some players leaving for more than they were worth and some less.

:lol:

I would say that it placates fans who are p*ssed off about us not signing anyone ('at least we kept our best players') but other than to laugh at us I'm not convinced they give a f*** what the fans think. Perhaps those half-season ticket sales aren't going well or a lot of people aren't renewing for next season or something.

Maybe Joe and Mike were just bored.

Well it's clearly not f***ing working :lol:

Not on here so much, but every time I go to SJP I'm staggered by how many people seem to get their information from the tabloid media alone and believe what they read verbatim.

This place exists in a world of its own. The anti-Pardew stuff proves that.

Was it 82% of supporters in the Ronny poll who were either very happy or happy with him?

Because a poll of alleged Newcastle fans answers any of the criticisms levelled at Pardew. 

To be fair, we have a lot more reason to be negative than positive, with regards to our dealings in the transfer market from recent seasons like. :lol:

There's reasons to be fed up but we don't really have a track record of flogging our stars for anything other than astronomical sums.

Demba Ba, Shay Given, Jose Enrique, Habib Beye, Fraser Forster, N'Zog, Perch - none of them went for astronomical sums.

In fact, take Carroll out of the equation and they've probably performed about average - some players leaving for more than they were worth and some less.

Which one went for more than they were worth?

Was it 82% of supporters in the Ronny poll who were either very happy or happy with him?

I don't know a single person who rates him, not a single person at work or anybody I go to games with.

Guest bimpy474

This selling for top money has happened once. Until we do it again it's a one off so far.

Because we don't tend to sell our top players.

We would if big money was offered, Pardew always tells us everyone has a price. It's just those prices have not been met.

I must say this is one thing Ashley can be trusted (not in the traditional sense) on imo. We will only sell big. Although that is still a bit of conjecture until we sell another player, so far we have a pattern of one sale.

Come on, it's so obvious that they knew PSG or someone would be making a bid, otherwise why the hell would they be sniffing around Cabella as a replacement for 12M, we never spend that amount...

It will make the system slightly more attacking but without cabaye's goals and energy I do worry.

Still, anything north of 18 million pound is a good deal (for fatty :hmm:)

Given I can give you, that was a terrible deal, but the others we had our hands tied to some degree. Ba had his clause, Enrique was running his contract down, Beye was shot and we'd just been relegated, N'Zogbia had been acting like a massive fucking prick for quite some time and Perch, as much as I love the bloke, I'd hesitate to call him a 'star'.

I'm still fucking staggered Forster's turned into a decent goalkeeper as whenever I saw him he looked absolutely awful :lol:

I don't know a single person who rates him, not a single person at work or anybody I go to games with.

Unfortunately I have quite the opposite. I'd say 90% of the fans I know like him, say "it's obvious he cares", doing a good job, generally don't like HBA - honestly, it confuses the life out of me

Guest bimpy474

Unfortunately I have quite the opposite. I'd say 90% of the fans I know like him, say "it's obvious he cares", doing a good job, generally don't like HBA - honestly, it confuses the life out of me

You need new friends, the one you got are fucking mental :lol:

I would say that it placates fans who are p*ssed off about us not signing anyone ('at least we kept our best players') but other than to laugh at us I'm not convinced they give a f*** what the fans think. Perhaps those half-season ticket sales aren't going well or a lot of people aren't renewing for next season or something.

Not on here so much, but every time I go to SJP I'm staggered by how many people seem to get their information from the tabloid media alone and believe what they read verbatim.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-toon-survey-alan-pardew-6508505

Very happy (33.4%); Content (48.4%); Content but waiting for results to improve (7.5%); Unhappy (5.9%); Time for change (4.7%).

Given I can give you, that was a terrible deal, but the others we had our hands tied to some degree. Ba had his clause, Enrique was running his contract down, Beye was shot and we'd just been relegated, N'Zogbia had been acting like a massive fucking prick for quite some time and Perch, as much as I love the bloke, I'd hesitate to call him a 'star'.

I'm still fucking staggered Forster's turned into a decent goalkeeper as whenever I saw him he looked absolutely awful :lol:

He's the same as he was - good shot stopper but useless with balls into the box. He gets very few of them in the Champions League and in the SPL he brings reading material. He's improved since he was in our academy but I don't think he's as good as is sometimes made out

I fear for them. All of them.

It's like the twilight zone mate, I don't get it :lol:

How can they not see what's in front of their eyes

Edit:

As we pointed out yesterday, many of the votes were cast before this run of four defeats, including of course the FA Cup exit, and you don’t need a billion pound computer to work out that some may have been more negative if they knew that was on the way.

:laugh:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-toon-survey-alan-pardew-6508505

Very happy (33.4%); Content (48.4%); Content but waiting for results to improve (7.5%); Unhappy (5.9%); Time for change (4.7%).

I'm aware of the poll Dave.

My point was more the fact it's a open poll which anyone can vote in, even Sunderland fans.

Guest bimpy474

It's like the twilight zone mate, I don't get it :lol:

How can they not see what's in front of their eyes

Partly the decent league position. Partly how well we did in the 5th place season. Partly swallowing his bullshit about last season. Plain old thick as pig shit. And ones beaten in submission about this being the best we can expect.

Many different reasons, same conclusion. They're all mental or related to Brett. :lol:

Which one went for more than they were worth?

Contract clause after signing on a free

Contract about to expire

Contract about to expire

Relegated and wanted out

Young, third choice keeper, most surprised we actually got the fee we did

Pissed off by Kinnear/stroppy bollocks looking for an excuse to leave after Duff took his place

Contract running down and deemed not worth keeping.

How many of our "stars" have we actually sold on for a big profit? I count one and if you find a single person who now thinks we shouldn't have sold Carrroll for a British record fee then I have severe concerns about them.

I'm aware of the poll Dave.

My point was more the fact it's a open poll which anyone can vote in, even Sunderland fans.

I just posted the results, wasn't meaning anything by it tbh.