Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

It's two attainable targets who we could probably get for £25m which imo would be decent value in itself. We'll probably get half of that back from selling Tiote & Cisse as well so even if we were being tight as fuck again, the outlay wouldn't be that big.

His wage would have gone up substantially when he signed for PSG, and unless we are going to match what he's now getting this is not happening. Players talk about ambition and playing for winning teams, but not if they have to take a pay cut.

His wage would have gone up substantially when he signed for PSG, and unless we are going to match what he's now getting this is not happening. Players talk about ambition and playing for winning teams, but not if they have to take a pay cut.

Do you think Palace will offer him more?!

He'll have to take a cut if his options are us or them!

He's slow though. Getting around the pitch is hard for him and it's only going to get harder. He also struggles when under pressure. He's good at a lot of roles but doesn't excel at the highest level in any. His ceiling is a good squad player for a top side. Or a regular in a top 8 PL side.

I never was massively impressed with him here. Yes he was good but IMO rarely ran a game. He would go missing in large parts of games.

He seemed to me a player who has moments in matches. Not a dominant midfielder, which we haven't had since Speed.

Would I have him back? Of course but he shouldn't be priority.

That's true. He played his best football in the final months of his time here in an advanced role. As a midfielder he never really controlled the game the way the likes of Carrick do.

That's true. He played his best football in the final months of his time here in an advanced role. As a midfielder he never really controlled the game the way the likes of Carrick do.

With respect I'd disagree. They're two different players. If argue that Cabaye was a hell of lot more capable of providing a killer ball or a goal than Carrick. Carrick is consistent in breaking up play and putting the ball to a more creative player but Cabaye is definitely more of an attacking force.

I'd argue with anyone who thinks Carrick "controlled" a game. He may have disrupted another teams attack but he's never pulled the strings like Cabaye.

Mainly due to the style of play we employed IMO, for France at major international tournaments he looked great in a deeper role i don't see why he couldn't for someone in the Premier League if the coach wasn't a moron.

If Cabaye was so stifled by Pardew he wouldn't have so many good things to say about him. :undecided:

With respect I'd disagree. They're two different players. If argue that Cabaye was a hell of lot more capable of providing a killer ball or a goal than Carrick. Carrick is consistent in breaking up play and putting the ball to a more creative player but Cabaye is definitely more of an attacking force.

I'd argue with anyone who thinks Carrick "controlled" a game. He may have disrupted another teams attack but he's never pulled the strings like Cabaye.

Which is why he'll finish up with the far better career. Carrrick's been 'pulling the strings' in PL games for a decade.

Mainly due to the style of play we employed IMO, for France at major international tournaments he looked great in a deeper role i don't see why he couldn't for someone in the Premier League if the coach wasn't a moron.

If Cabaye was so stifled by Pardew he wouldn't have so many good things to say about him. :undecided:

He let him do what he wants so i'm not that surprised, doesn't mean it was right though.