Twitter nonsense

Thespence

Put this in here for now, until/unless anything more official comes out...

@BackPage

Newcastle have made a £6mil bid for Ajax right back Gregory van der Wiel as their move to sign Lille fullback Mathieu Debuchy stalls. #NUFC

Some Dutch journalists saying the same thing, €8m bid.

Not sure he turned us down...? We've already dealt with Raiola this summer, could be hearing good things from Anita as well.

#clutching

Guest Big Al

I'm not convinced by Gregory van der Wiel at all - his displays were rather poor at the Euros. I do know that a couple of years ago he was tipped as a real gem but his development stalled a while ago.

Would he be un upgrade from Simpson - on what front - defensively or in attack? I very much doubt it, based on my impressions from Holland matches at the Euros - they conceded a couple of goals from WdW, rather basic, mistakes.

I'm not convinced by Gregory van der Wiel at all - his displays were rather poor at the Euros. I do know that a couple of years ago he was tipped as a real gem but his development stalled a while ago.

Would he be un upgrade from Simpson - on what front - defensively or in attack? I very much doubt it, based on my impressions from Holland matches at the Euros - they conceded a couple of goals from WdW, rather basic, mistakes.

From what i have seen he would be a real improvement going forward, very unsure about him defensively like.

Guest Big Al

You cannot rate a player on international performances good or bad, he would be a huge improvement n what we have that's for sure.

Your statement that he'll be a huge improvement is based on what exactly? Is he defensively sound? Does he bomb forward, getting behing the opposition's FB and putting quality crosses?

Btw, it'll be interesting just to know what your impressions on Debuchy are based upon - only on his performances for Lille, and not on those for France  (having in mind that 90% of all forum members, incl. myself, have seen him play only at the Euros)?

You cannot rate a player on international performances good or bad, he would be a huge improvement n what we have that's for sure.

Your statement that he'll be a huge improvement is based on what exactly? Is he defensively sound? Does he bomb forward, getting behing the opposition's FB and putting quality crosses?

Btw, it'll be interesting just to know what your impressions on Debuchy are based upon - only on his performances for Lille, and not on those for France  (having in mind that 90% of all forum members, incl. myself, have seen him play only at the Euros)?

In my opinion Ryan Taylor is a huge improvement on Simpson but yes he is a better attacking option from what I have seen, as for Debuchy I have seen a bit of him for Lille and is by FAR a better RB than Simpson.

I have said many times before though I would rather see Santon at RB and us buy a LB as I am not convinced with Santon at LB. That would solve the Debuchy farce and give us more fullback options until January where we could again look at who we need for what position.

Van der Wiel is a very talented player always has been, he has stalled the last couple of years but there's definite talent there.

There's a reason so many massive clubs have been linked with him over last few years.

He has career has gone a lot like Santon and Ben Arfa, maybe we think we can get him back on the right track like we have with them.

I would be happy with it personally.

Guest Big Al

Agree 100% that Debuchy is a real upgrade on Simpson. Not sure about WdW on his current form [as it was in the last 24-30 months].

I'm a bit frustrated at these 'We'll add in January if we can't now'-type suggestions. We've been hearing them on a constant basis - like our hunt for a CB last summer, then it was January, then the Jan market did not offer value, then came the goal-scoring CB this summer - as things stand I'll be veeery surprised if we actually add to that department.

There are scores of players for each position, it's laughable that we have only one player targeted for each slot and if the selling club does not bend to our offer, we just wait for the next window!?!?

Guest Big Al

Van der Wiel is a very talented player always has been, he has stalled the last couple of years but there's definite talent there.

There's a reason so many massive clubs have been linked with him over last few years.

He has career has gone a lot like Santon and Ben Arfa, maybe we think we can get him back on the right track like we have with them.

I would be happy with it personally.

There's a reason so many massive clubs that were rumoured to be interested have not signed him after all.

Santon's carreer was affected by the injuries he had over the years and HBA was not mentally settled at any of his previous clubs. On the contrary, WdW has been an ever present at his club [which is rumoured to be unwilling to extend his contract - maybe there's a reason for that too] and had the full opportunity to develop his skills.

Santon was not just affected by injuries he was affected by a weak mentality where he struggled without a decent coach behind him....

Santon needed someone like Pardew, to help with this as Mourinho was the only other coach who was able to help him with this.

Ben Arfa we all know the story.

All i'm saying is VdW is obviously a talented fullback who has stagnated the last couple of years for what ever reasons but the club has history in bring the best out of stagnated talents.

If we can't get Debuchy then i'll be happy with this, if there's any truth to it that is.