Twitter nonsense

Thespence

Oh, and the most Ashley has ever spent on a striker was the £5.7m (or £7m if you believe he's done so well we had to pay the rest) on Xisco.

Smith was £6m. Although nobody really knows where he was actually signed to play; right wing if you're Fat Head.

Yer, what constitutes a marquee signing is surely dependant on the status and position of the club. A £10 million+ signing for us considering our last few windows in particular would certainly be a 'marquee signing'

Guest Heneage

Jesus man Dave, I 'pull figures out my arse' you aren't happy, I produce facts you're not happy.  :weep:

True Wullie. All I have been trying to get across in this thread was that I don`t buy into this Mike Ashley is secretly robbing our cash conspiracy theory. I think its bollocks. I just got sick of reading posts about there being this 35mill in his pocket and lifes that simple. I`m no accountant but I do run a business and pay all the taxes that Ashley pays albeit on a minute scale compared. I have not got time to explain accounts to people either. All I know is if you sell something, in this case a player by the time you take your percentage which is the gross profit its usually f**k all compared to what you started with. You have to minus running costs,VAT,PAYE,NI and other taxes. Even paying someone a wage costs an employer money.

You say our competitors wont` stop spending over tax concerns ?  Look what happened to Portsmouth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/02/portsmouth_fc_in_crisis_qa.html

Also this website is quite interesting. Its a table of how much was spent by each club and what position they finished in over the past few seasons.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/transfer-fees-v-league-positions/premier-league-2007-2011.html

I just think a lot of people are spending the transfer window worrying about weather we spend 35mill or not. Rather than looking at who we have brought in and who has finally gone. We are a better team already than last year or the year before or the year before.

You keep mentioning VAT, would the club not be able to reclaim the VAT?

It started off as just an example then I got dragged into A longer convo about it lol. You can reclaim on purchases based in the UK, so not on foreign players. Also the VAT man always wins if your a profit making business as your turnover will always be higher than your purchases. Basically you add up all your turnover on UK sales, from players to drinks to tickets etc everything, then you minus anything you bought, stock, UK players, stadium seats anything. You then work 20% of each and pay the difference.

Had to edit there, I put profits instead of turnover.

Yer, what constitutes a marquee signing is surely dependant on the status and position of the club. A £10 million+ signing for us considering our last few windows in particular would certainly be a 'marquee signing'

60/40 with that in comparison to the player. If we signed Messi on a free I would consider that a "Marquee" signing. Likewise if Gateshead signed Ryan Taylor for 3m. The amount of money spent is less important than the difference between the club/player imo.

FWIW Douglas still thinks we will make a £10m+ signing this summer, but it won't be a marquee signing. Not really sure how the two are mutually exclusive like, considering we've not made a signing of that value since Ashley bought the club.

i thought he said 7 figure signing?

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

@swrain79 @dan2882 I think there's an 8 figure signing coming up.. But maybe not the marquee name ppl are after

7 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

@swrain79 @dan2882 I think there's an 8 figure signing coming up.. But maybe not the marquee name ppl are after

Neil Taylor?

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

he 'think's?

Then Im 'thinking' its gonna be 'Messi'!!!

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Ohhh, must've misread it  :thup:

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Neil Taylor?

:lol:

Guest bimpy474

If true it'll be the left sided player for the midfield 3.

Is that not Marveaux/Gutierrez?

Would they not be either side of the striker in a front three ?