CONCACAF Gold Cup

ponsaelius

It doesn't benefit the South Americans in any way, shape or form. Hence why they laugh in the faces of CONCACAF whenever somebody suggests it.  :lol:

The problem is, whatever way you try to set it up, it shits on somebody somewhere within in the two regions. It's just completely unworkable and that's why it hasn't happened.

For you guys that watched Costa Rica - Cuba. How did Celso Borges (Costa Rica captain) play? He's plays for my local club in Norway.

Played central midfield. Was good against very weak opposition, hard to really say much as the Cubans were so bad.

Exactly, but there's no way CONMEBOL would risk one of their 100 year old members missing out on qualification to some caribbean team... just as the majority of CONCACAF would be pissed off at basically having 0 chance of qualifying for the competition.

I don't know why you seem to think that this sort of merger should revolve around the south american countries. imo it would benefit both.

And I don't think saying CONCACAF teams "having 0 chance of qualifying" is accurate... Jamaica and T&T managed to qualify for a World Cup in modern times, no?

It doesn't benefit the South American teams man, that's why it doesn't happen. Why should they want a load of teams from ANOTHER CONTINENT diluting their competition when they've kept the same set-up for the last 100 years?

It's like us expanding the Euros to have a load of North African sides in.  :lol:

They don't have 0 chance of qualifying, but the numbers of North American sides that can qualifiy would have to be reduced from 12? That doesn't suit their best interests at all. It suits Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras.. maybe 1 or 2 more... but the rest of the continent gets fucked.

Copa America is not exactly perfect, is it?!  I mean bloody Japan playing in a South American competition? :lol:

And it's nothing like merging the euros with the africans, man.  They're both competitive competitions.

Anywya, I hope you enjoyed El-Salvador's performance. Did you spot any potential NUFC targets? ;)

The Copa America IS a competitive competition, man, probably the most so in the world! Do you know how hard it is to get out of South American qualifying?

That's the argument here, there is no need for South America to dilute their competition because it's already very very good. They add two invitees to make up the numbers slightly for a workable format, which suits their best interests... having a whole other continent crash their party is not in their best interests. This is the major point to why it will never happen, but there are a whole plethora of others which work against it.

And no, there was fuck all worth buying in the El Salvador team.  :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, beggars can't be choosers. There's fuck all football to be watched atm so I'm embracing the Gold Cup, and I'm embracing MLS. Even though the standard of MLS has been made even worse by all the Gold Cup call-ups.  :angry:

Exactly the same here. That's another reason why there should be no merger, rather have the two tournaments back to back and fill in 2 months of the dull off season rather than 1.

Does it? I'll probably watch the inevitable US-Mexico final, but thw rest is just too poor.

Exactly the same here. That's another reason why there should be no merger, rather have the two tournaments back to back and fill in 2 months of the dull off season rather than 1.

Does it? I'll probably watch the inevitable US-Mexico final, but thw rest is just too poor.

Shit football is better than no football.

The Final is in Pasedena (just north of LA) at the Rose Bowl. It will have the same atmosphere as a home game for Mexico when they get to the final. I would imagine 80-90% Mexico supporters will be there.

Now that we (NUFC) are back in the Premier League I can't imagine there will be many (if any) players on show during the Gold Cup that we would want.

When don't they just merge this cup with the bloody Copa America to make it more comeptitive. sigh.

??? Eh?

The Copa America is likely to be competitive as fuck, 5 from the last 16 of the World Cup for starters and Colombia are decent on their day.  Ecuador too. Only really Bolivia who are turboshit and even then they beat Argentina and Brazil in the last World Cup qualifying campaign. South America just suffers from a lack of countries in it, hence the guest slots which are not in anyway ideal but are better than nowt.

The Gold Cup on the other hand suffers from having only 2 large countries that take football remotely seriously. Despite the passion for the game in certain Caribbean and Central American countries the infrastructure and talent depth just isn't there. Nowt you can do about it really apart from try to get those countries to develop their grassroots.