Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

I genuinely think Leon can be moulded into a really good striker. The raw materials are all there, it's just about adding the judgement - and we saw plenty of evidence he has some - namely the Arsenal, Bolton and Everton games at home.

Been reading a bit more about Ba.

Apparently he's a massive egotistical c*** with a penchant for being disruptive  :undecided:

Hmmm, :undecided:

Got no problem with signing these types... but it just makes it crucial to keep Nolan/Barton to hold the team mentality and togetherness together.

I genuinely think Leon can be moulded into a really good striker. The raw materials are all there, it's just about adding the judgement - and we saw plenty of evidence he has some - namely the Arsenal, Bolton and Everton games at home.

West Ham :snod:

Embarrassed the rest of our strikers with his weaker foot :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

I just think (and I said this when he was "the worst striker in the universe") he gets into good positions and is a pretty decent finisher.

Nowt against the rest of what you said but i remember saying the same on here in that he is a good footballer but just not an out and out goalscorer. A lot of the work he put in even early on was good, always prepared to run and work the line.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Yeh spot on.

Also when he's had the chance he's scored goals - 6 goals in 10 games is exceptional plus he had a legitimate goal disallowed against Arsenal.

He needs a prolonged period in the team but for some reason people don't afford him much credibility whatever he does!

Are you incapable of understanding that Best is a better player than Shola/Loven therefore keeping him as back up is sensible? Nobody has said Best as first choice whatsoever.

We won't get two brass tacks for Shola or Lovenkrands for that very reason, which is why I think it's more likely we'll be lumbered with them for the next season and cash in on Best.

No chance, Best is above whatever else we currently have.

Nope, no way Best will/can afford to be let go this summer

If we're relying on keeping Best for as anything other than injury-crisis backup next season, the transfer window will have been a failure.

If we are playing with 2 up front next season then Best should be our first option from the bench, with 2 new strikers starting.

If he was flogged off to accomodate clowns like Ameobi and Lovenkrands I think I'd punch somebody in the mouth.

No chance, Best is above whatever else we currently have.

Nope, no way Best will/can afford to be let go this summer

If we're relying on keeping Best for as anything other than injury-crisis backup next season, the transfer window will have been a failure.

If we are playing with 2 up front next season then Best should be our first option from the bench, with 2 new strikers starting.

If he was flogged off to accomodate clowns like Ameobi and Lovenkrands I think I'd punch somebody in the mouth.

:thup:

Are you incapable of understanding that Best is a better player than Shola/Loven therefore keeping him as back up is sensible? Nobody has said Best as first choice whatsoever.

We won't get two brass tacks for Shola or Lovenkrands for that very reason, which is why I think it's more likely we'll be lumbered with them for the next season and cash in on Best.

Still can't see it. He's not worth enough to justify moving him on, compared to what he's worth to us

I just think (and I said this when he was "the worst striker in the universe") he gets into good positions and is a pretty decent finisher.

Nowt against the rest of what you said but i remember saying the same on here in that he is a good footballer but just not an out and out goalscorer. A lot of the work he put in even early on was good, always prepared to run and work the line.

I'm pretty sure Cajun was one of the few who didn't lay into Best during the early days though and he hadn't scored any goals then.

Guest Roger Kint

I'm pretty sure Cajun was one of the few who didn't lay into Best during the early days though and he hadn't scored any goals then.

I know hence my agreement

I can see us flogging Best this summer anyway. He only featured under Pardew by default and the fact he got a few goals means we might get a decent price for him from a Championship side.

I don't think he's up to the job and suspect Pardew doesn't either- he was all set to leave on loan before Shola got injured at Fulham. Decent player as backup but can't see us resisting a couple of million for him.

No. You're lying.

Best started that night, ahead of Lovenkrands and Ranger. Something you should have remembered by conjuring up that complete rubbish. Pardew started him virtually every time he was fit after his first appearance back from injury, and even made noises about giving him the no.9 shirt in March.

Mea culpa, the loan move talk was under Hughton.

I'm still flabbergasted by the fact we have a striker who is even worse at playing the offside trap than Shola.

Guest Roger Kint

I'm still flabbergasted by the fact we have a striker who is even worse at playing the offside trap than Shola.

So have AC Milan but he made a canny career out of it

Best plays off the shoulder, Shola wanders around.

Pretty much, Best's offsides are usually from trying to get into a goal scoring position. With Shola its random :lol:

What strikes me more is that he gets into goal scoring areas and then has converted with left foot, right foot and his head.

You can add Birmingham away into that. I though he was excellent that day. Dominated Roger Johnson.

Pretty much, Best's offsides are usually from trying to get into a goal scoring position. With Shola its random :lol:

It's not random. It's a lack of intelligence.

The amount of times he caught offside and he just grins like a gormless idiot as if it's some kind of novelty really annoys me.

Been reading a bit more about Ba.

Apparently he's a massive egotistical c*** with a penchant for being disruptive  :undecided:

Hmmm, :undecided:

Got no problem with signing these types... but it just makes it crucial to keep Nolan/Barton to hold the team mentality and togetherness together.

Definitely agree with that. Mind you, the only thing I've heard about Ba being disruptive was when he refused to play for Hoffenheim after they said that they wouldn't allow him to leave for the PL.