Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-demba-ba-showdown-talks-1139862

Pardew has told Ba he will be used in a more central attacking position for more games - including a huge increase in work load caused by the Europa League - and that he is searching for a way of getting the best out of his talents.

Pardew faced questions for the first time after the summer break yesterday and sent a strong message to rivals considering plundering his fifth places finishers that "inflated" prices will be forced on any buyer.

On the Ba saga he admitted: "I just think the whole thing with Demba has been constant and whether that changes now I don't know. I've not seen any sign from Demba since he came back that suggests he wants to find another club. I don't sense that at all.

"I genuinely don't see a situation where he wants to move on. He has not stressed to me he wants to move to pastures new.

"He has said to me he wants some reassurance from me. He wants a more striking role this season and I think he will.

"He played a couple of roles that were unorthodox for me last season to help the team, that's the sort of person he is. He wants to play through the middle and score goals, that's what he does best.

"He has a contract to Newcastle and he is loved here. He had a brilliant, especially the first half, last season. After the African Nations, I think it did not go as well for him as it could have.

"That is something we will look at because we want him to be at his very, very best. But we are planning for him to have another great season with us."

Positive comments, wonder what he can mean by the bit in bold though. More 4-4-2? Surely he doesn't mean Cisse out wide.

It's a nice problem though having two top quality strikers available. I guess just because Demba "can" play on left doesn't mean he should have to if he really dislikes it. At the same time it's a shame because that formation brought the best out of Cisse, ben arfa, cabaye and even found a nice little new role for Jonas. 

He was unlucky a few times since the ACN and given chances through the middle, he gets the rub of the green and those chances start going in again I reckon he will be more than happy.

He has the talent for it, just lost his touch/confidence when Cisse came in.

Getting them both playing to their goalscoring potential at the same time would be devastating. Especially if we say sign Debuchy and Douglas improving our back line.

hmmm seems an odd thing for pards to say so soon after saying we will be playing a more possession game. More possession game means 1 striker and 3 midfielders to me, unless 3 at back...or maybe Cisse on wing? Which would be mad as he's clearly the best striker we have. Maybe the plan is the Italian 4-3-1-2?

hmmm seems an odd thing for pards to say so soon after saying we will be playing a more possession game. More possession game means 1 striker and 3 midfielders to me, unless 3 at back...or maybe Cisse on wing? Which would be mad as he's clearly the best striker we have. Maybe the plan is the Italian 4-3-1-2?

I'm absolutely certain 4-3-1-2 cant work in England due to how dominate wing play is, and it's too easy to lock down Ben Arfa in a central position IMO he's much better off outwide with freedom to roam.

The only system using 2 striker's i can see working in England is a 4-2-2-2 and i cant see us using that.

What Pardew means, i think by promising Ba a more central role is rotating him with Cisse IMO.

If Ba is insisting on playing centrally, then he can go. You can't have a player trying to dictate to the manager like that.

Rock and a hard place for me.

Can see both sides of the coin, Ba has predominantly played centrally throughout his career and been a great success. He has probably also enjoyed being the main man so to be shifted out wide and watch someone else get all the glory has probably been quite tough.

That said we have played our best football with Cisse through the centre and Ba on the left so it's a tough choice for Pardew

Just hope they both stay and as mentioned before Ba starts gets back in to the swing from the left because a front 3 of HBA, Cisse and an in form, everything he touches goes in Ba would be something else!

To be fair depends on the tone of the convo, if he was really demanding it yeah push out door, if it was "will i get more chances to play as a striker" and pards says "yes there'll be plenty of games inc Europa when you will get a chance up front" which doesn't mean he'll be upfront in first choice arrangement but there'll be times when pards is resting players or tactically wants 2 strikers etc

Also i don't think Cisse and Ba as a front 2 works, Cisse is someone who likes the whole front line to himself. Having someone alongside him restricts his movement IMO.

It's best for the team if we play 4-3-3 with Ba on the left, we just play so much better. Hopefully a solution can be found.

If Ba is insisting on playing centrally, then he can go. You can't have a player trying to dictate to the manager like that.

Shearer did for his last 5 years at SJP.

And for the last 2 of those years it was pretty disastrous, not to mention the longer-term damage.

With "potentially" a lot more games this season, he might be thinking of resting Cisse for a few games (depending on how the fixtures fall, which would require Ba to play down the middle.

As I've said before I'd be gutted if Demba left, really still feel this can work out for everyone.

If Cisse gets crunched at any point (not unlikely) and Demba has gone, we're in shit street (if another striker fails to come on board)

Maybe instead of 4-3-3 it's a 4-3-1-2. Both strikers are then playing where they prefer and we'll get our width from Santon, New FB and a drifting Ben Arfa. That's why we want Anita, so we have more defensive midfield protection when this happens.

Tactics are easy :cool:

Suspect the lack of width would be punished tbh, but nice idea. As much as I preach 3 in the middle though we should have a 4-4-2 plan b anyway for games like man u at home, Pards got tactics spot on with that, two strikers can bully a defence and not convinced Cisse can't work in such a system, though think he's ideal as a lone striker. The bigger issue is Ben Arfa who doesn't work in a 4-4-2.

I wouldn't worry about width if we signed Debuchy and with Santon, they would provide the width. My concern would be when we lose the ball is the likely hood of team's 2 v 1 us in fullback areas.

We would definitely have to keep possession a lot better this season, to even ponder such a system. Cisse can definitely work in 2 striker system, i just think having a partner restricts his movement and much better as a lone CF.

Anyway i agree, we should be flexible as far as system's go although i'd like to see 4-3-3 being the main system. Depending on the opposition it would nice to see our tactic's altered.

Actually can see it, Cabaye in Pirlo role with two bodyguards in Anita and Tiote...

Cabaye should be further forward and linking play rather than sitting deep in a Pirlo role for.  It works at Juve because Marchisio and Vidal both have the dynamism and goal scoring threat that Anita and Tiote wouldn't be able to offer, the gap between midfield and attack would become too big.

Actually can see it, Cabaye in Pirlo role with two bodyguards in Anita and Tiote...

Cabaye should be further forward and linking play rather than sitting deep in a Pirlo role for.  It works at Juve because Marchisio and Vidal both have the dynamism and goal scoring threat that Anita and Tiote wouldn't be able to offer, the gap between midfield and attack would become too big.

Yeah, the role of Cabaye in that reality would be more Xavi for Spain..... 2 holding players with Cabaye as sort of a CM/AM hybrid.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I would have expected 4-4-2 for a lot of games anyway. Even when Ba was out wide, we'd switch to a 4-4-2 a lot mid-game.