Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Guys dont get me wrong, I seriously hope Ba is an overwhelming sucess, but I just cannot see that happening.  If he was as good as some think he is, why has he signed for us?  We are a run of the mill mid table side and he could have done so much better.  How come we were able to beat Everton to him?  Cant be because we are paying top wages can it?  No I will expect the worst and be ecstatic if he is a success.  Meanwhile I will continue to be pessimistic until facts prove that viewpoint is unsupportable!

:dowiespin:

People who aren't happy with him - if he had come direct from Germany would you be any happier as he would be an unknown and further proof to our new scouting teams powers?

I wouldn't have been happy because of his behavour he showed in his last few months at Hoffenheim.

Well there are two sides to every story. He had been promised that he would be allowed to leave if certain conditions were met, then when it come down to it Hoffenheim backed out of their promises and refused to let him go. That´s his version of the events. Going on a strike is very childish but we don´t know what happened behind the scenes or how the interactions between Ba and the board went.

In any case we've got a 6-7m valued striker on a free, lets just be happy about that. Still need to sign a target man, despite his height I don´t really see Ba as a target man, at Hoffenheim he played a lot off Ibišević and as I´ve said I don´t think Ba is the ideal striker for a 4-5-1 formation so I can definitely see another striker being brought in and us playing 4-4-2 next season (even more so after we sold Nolan since as we all know he can´t play as a MC in a 4-4-2 formation without getting overrun).

If Ba starts playing up for a move to a bigger team it means he's done very well and we can cash a healthy profit in.

[/ashley]

Guest Bateman

Are you concerned at all by the length of contract?

If you mean Nolan then not really we paid Dyer about £2mln per game, if his fit for 5 years then it will be one up on any recent signings..  If he gets us up at first attempt and we still have him in past his peak so be it.

We never replaced Lucas Neill in the team when he left, not the greatest of players but organised the defence and we had no one who spoke when he left.

If he's on a reasonable wage and is signed as the "second choice" striker, then it is a decent signing.

There's always going to be questions about his knee however..........we'll see what happens I guess but all in all, I'm happy about this signing :thup:

i see nothing wrong with expecting another signing up top with Ba - criticising the Ba deal is stupid 'cause it makes good sense on every level but if that's all we get for our 35m then we've been pretty much fucked in the arse by MA/DL and anyone not seeing that is trying too hard to be objective i'm afraid

i see nothing wrong with expecting another signing up top with Ba - criticising the Ba deal is stupid 'cause it makes good sense on every level but if that's all we get for our 35m then we've been pretty much fucked in the arse by MA/DL and anyone not seeing that is trying too hard to be objective i'm afraid

agree

There's absolutely no reason to believe Ba will be the only striker coming in.

This. I'm quite confident that we'll bring in Erdinç by the end of next month (could be misplaced optimism on my part :laugh:).

But I am sure we'll bring in another striker during this transfer window.

Are you concerned at all by the length of contract?

If you mean Nolan then not really we paid Dyer about £2mln per game, if his fit for 5 years then it will be one up on any recent signings..  If he gets us up at first attempt and we still have him in past his peak so be it.

We never replaced Lucas Neill in the team when he left, not the greatest of players but organised the defence and we had no one who spoke when he left.

I don't think you can help but grow to love Nolan as a bloke. If anyone can help turn around the atitude of you players he can.

Still can't see him as a first teamer for you past two years at most mind whatever division you're in.

there's decent enough signs to lead me to think he might be the best striker we bring in

Those being?

where we've gone since the g+g deals fell flat on their arse

maybe they'er biding their time to move for the next (2nd) first choice target but don't see why they would unless ba and erdinc are it

It's amazing how even a good signing can be an excuse to moan.

howay man ian thought better of you, how can what i said be construed as a moan ffs?  i'm speculating on a number of possible outcomes that's all, ba's a good signing no-one is saying he isn't

there's decent enough signs to lead me to think he might be the best striker we bring in

Those being?

where we've gone since the g+g deals fell flat on their arse

maybe they'er biding their time to move for the next (2nd) first choice target but don't see why they would unless ba and erdinc are it

Both are good players

cant see anything wrong at all with saying it's a good signing if he's joined by another one or two of his ability but not wise if he's the only striker we bring in. that makes sense to me.

I know what you mean, I just don't see why everything positive has to have a massive caveat tagged onto the end.

Ba is a good signing, he's better than all our other strikers. Let's judge the other business on its own merits.

cant see anything wrong at all with saying it's a good signing if he's joined by another one or two of his ability but not wise if he's the only striker we bring in. that makes sense to me.

Whey, quite. I realise we my be playing one up front with HBA behind, but even if Ba's injury problems turn out false, we definately need another decent (hopefully better) striker in.

the way i look at it of we bring ba and erdinc and that's it in it's almost certainly an upgrade on what we have but it's worrying for a few reasons.

1. Ba's knee

2. Erdinc is somewhat out of form and a confidence player by some accounts

3. It looks likely we're going for a 4-3-3 with not many goals likely from midfield. If Ben Arfa isnt the player he was or takes ages to get back to it who's gonna score if Erdinc doesnt settle and Ba's in the treatment room?

It would just make me feel more comfortable bringing in a striker who is almost certainly gonna bang quite a few in for us, due to form and fitness records. But they tend to cost money.

At least he's a pretty good one. Said it yesterday but I'll repeat it: signing a top quality forward was always going to be the biggest challenge because the best ones are at or being chased by top clubs. People will moan about Erdinc just like they are moaning about Ba, but there's not many who are coming up with realistic alternatives.

the way i look at it of we bring ba and erdinc and that's it in it's almost certainly an upgrade on what we have but it's worrying for a few reasons.

1. Ba's knee

2. Erdinc is somewhat out of form and a confidence player by some accounts

3. It looks likely we're going for a 4-3-3 with not many goals likely from midfield. If Ben Arfa isnt the player he was or takes ages to get back to it who's gonna score if Erdinc doesnt settle and Ba's in the treatment room?

It would just make me feel more comfortable bringing in a striker who is almost certainly gonna bang quite a few in for us, due to form and fitness records. But they tend to cost money.

Or have better options and won't come like Gervinho and Gameiro.

I know what you mean, [b[i just don't see why everything positive has to have a massive caveat tagged onto the end.[/b]

Ba is a good signing, he's better than all our other strikers. Let's judge the other business on its own merits.

it doesn't, but it absolutely must be judged with reference to selling a player for 35m and then promising to invest that money into the squad publicly ian, i'm sorry like but it fucking does