Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

NEWCASTLE United’s interest in Turkey striker Mevlüt Erdinç is over.

The club are ready to move on to new targets after the Paris Saint Germain forward told United yesterday he would not be joining them. Newcastle had lodged a £7million bid with the French club on Tuesday which was being considered, but the player’s decision appears to have forced their hand.

Although Newcastle boss Alan Pardew had been hoping the striker would have a change of heart, the club are now reluctantly moving onto another Continental-based striker.

Erdinç’s agent Pierre Frelot confirmed to The Journal yesterday: “He will not be going to Newcastle. The player decided not to move and he is staying in Paris for next season.”

Although United made quick progress in the transfer market after the season ended, Erdinç’s decision to stay in the French capital is a second blow in Newcastle’s chase for a forward to play off new target man Demba Ba.

They missed out on priority target Kevin Gameiro, who joined PSG, and despite initial enthusiasm for a move to Newcastle, Erdinç has also decided to stay in Ligue 1.

Shane Long has many admirers inside St James’ Park but it appears as if a foreign-based target is now their priority.

That is not to say that they may not return to Long, who has been extensively scouted by assistant boss John Carver over the last six months.

The Republic of Ireland striker is well thought of by many, with one North East-based scout telling The Journal that he is potentially the best forward the country has produced for a generation.

Although a figure of £10million has been widely reported, sources in Berkshire have indicated that nearer £5m would be enough to sign the promising hitman.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/07/09/mevl-t-erdin-in-snub-for-newcastle-61634-29021687/#ixzz1Rb7YaAXr

United remain calm in their hunt for new recruits, but progress in the market has slowed over the past fortnight.

And it appears as if Charles N’Zogbia – a target for both Newcastle and Sunderland over the past six months – is heading for Aston Villa after initial discussions between the Villans and the French winger’s agent took place.

N’Zogbia’s willingness to move back to St James’ Park was never in doubt, but the expense of the deal seems to have put Newcastle off and they will need to revive their interest at the eleventh hour to prevent him moving to the West Midlands.

Meanwhile, United’s hopes of clinging on to José Enríque will be aided by Aly Cissokho’s mooted move to Liverpool.

The French Press have reported that the left-back is moving closer to a switch to Anfield, which was expected to be Enríque's destination.

But the Spanish defender – out of contract next summer – appears to have been overlooked, leaving Arsenal as the last club to rival Newcastle’s bumper contract offer.

Pardew remains serene about Enríque’s intentions, saying that the club have made him a “fantastic offer”. He also dropped a strong hint that they would not stand in his way if a Champions League club came in for him. He said: “Jose just loves to play football.

“His intention is to find a club that are playing Champions League football. The problem for us is that he only has a year left on his contract.

“If he does stay and signs his contract then that’s great. If he doesn’t sign it then we have to see what happens.

“I'd love him to stay and sign it – it is a fantastic offer. Until then there is nothing more to be said on the matter and we will just have to let the situation evolve.

“Any football manager would want him to stay.

“We have to do everything we can to persuade him this is the place to be – and get him to sign that new contract.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/07/09/mevl-t-erdin-in-snub-for-newcastle-61634-29021687/2/#ixzz1Rb7eCw00

Im not too dissapointed at not being able to sign Erdinc due to the fact i've never seen him play apart from the odd couple of games.

I would like to see Shane Long here and i think he would be the best of our current crop but that's not hard. I would be dissapointed if we couldn't stump up a transfer fee and wages for a player like Long though then it would be worrying times.

Personally i still think we need to sign Long and one more striker and flog one or even two of our current lot (Lovenkrands being first out of the door).

Long for £5m seems a little more appealing (than the £10m previously suggested). Still would have concerns about him.

I'd have concerns as well, but I'd be very optimistic if we got Long for £5m. Can't see Reading letting him go that cheaply though.

Long for £5m seems a little more appealing (than the £10m previously suggested). Still would have concerns about him.

As back up to Ba with potential to improve it's not a bad deal. Obviously it's not an exciting deal but this is about as good as it's going to get under Ashley.

As long as Best doesn't leave we would have a good selection of strikers with different attributes. I just fear he is a bit of a one season wonder but if his workrate is as high as I have heard then that can often make up for a lack of quality in other areas imo. Look at Kuyt, key player at Liverpool but doesn't seem to be very good at everything apart from an immense work rate.

I know we are missing Nolan but if we could get plenty of goals out of Shola, Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Best then we should be able to get enough out of Best, Ba, Ben Arfa and Long..  ???

As long as Best doesn't leave we would have a good selection of strikers with different attributes. I just fear he is a bit of a one season wonder but if his workrate is as high as I have heard then that can often make up for a lack of quality in other areas imo. Look at Kuyt, key player at Liverpool but doesn't seem to be very good at everything apart from an immense work rate.

I know we are missing Nolan but if we could get plenty of goals out of Shola, Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Best then we should be able to get enough out of Best, Ba, Ben Arfa and Long..  ???

Eh? :lol:

I wonder who this alternative continental striker is? I hope it's El Arabi.

And then come ACON (assuming Shola goes with Nigeria as well) we're left with Lovenkrands as a lone striker. It actually hurts.

Eh? :lol:

I meant the collective :lol:

Gameiro to Long is a bit of a fucking let down like :lol:

This chat and the stuff that Dave keeps spouting (onto a lower priced striker, option Z, etc.) - would some people be happier if we didn't try and aim for the likes of Gaimero and just went straight for a league 1 striker who'd be desperate to come here?

While we don't have European football (and haven't had for the past 5 years), we're still going to be a lesser draw for established/proven top league strikers throughout Europe.

We can counter-act this by:

a) signing unproven strikers, who are young with something about them - we can sell them the "stepping stone" idea (with an aim to regaining our European place while they're still on the books)

b) throw lots of money at them with big wages and signing on fees (leading to wage-inflation throughout the club, see 2007-10 as an example)

c) sign lesser players who might have a point to prove/questionable temperament or commitment (not ideal for squad harmony)

Gameiro to Long is a bit of a f***ing let down like :lol:

This chat and the stuff that Dave keeps spouting (onto a lower priced striker, option Z, etc.) - would some people be happier if we didn't try and aim for the likes of Gaimero and just went straight for a league 1 striker who'd be desperate to come here?

Erm... what? :lol:

Was just saying that after going for Gameiro and been linked with Sturridge it's a bit of a let down, which it is.

Gameiro to Long is a bit of a f***ing let down like :lol:

While we don't have European football (and haven't had for the past 5 years), we're still going to be a lesser draw for established/proven top league strikers throughout Europe.

We can counter-act this by:

a) signing unproven strikers, who are young with something about them - we can sell them the "stepping stone" idea (with an aim to regaining our European place while they're still on the books)

b) throw lots of money at them with big wages and signing on fees (leading to wage-inflation throughout the club, see 2007-10 as an example)

c) sign lesser players who might have a point to prove/questionable temperament or commitment (not ideal for squad harmony)

d) just signing more centre midfielders

You do wonder how in all this time we've been able to scout replacement for Carroll, with 35m to play with originally

They could've come up with Long as the 4th best option for prob near 7m.

Out of all of Europe.

They either rate him very highly, or we didnt look at many viable replacements.

Guest Mantis

You do wonder how in all this time we've been able to scout replacement for Carroll, with 35m to play with originally

They could've come up with Long as the 4th best option for prob near 7m.

Out of all of Europe.

They either rate him very highly, or we didnt look at many viable replacements.

Or could it be the club is being run people who are incompetent from a football perspective? They are probably ringing Kuqi as I type. Wankers