Mevlüt Erdinç

Guest sicko2ndbest

Might as well just stop worrying about transfers entirely and just watch the football.

It's never going to go the way we want it to, especially under this regime, all these windows do is cause fans undue stress.

At the end of the day we'll still be putting 11 players on a pitch that we can cheer on, and those 11 players, no matter how shit, will have a chance at winning.

That's how I prefer to think of it now anyway.

Who said Shepherd was 'mint'? :lol: :lol:

Everyone :D

Just sick of every thread under the sun turning into the whole Cash + Signings + Old Board vs New Board shite.  Snorefest.

I'm tired of it as well TBH, will try not to respond to those posts so much in future.

£10million won't go far though on a squad that requires at the bare minimum one proven top drawer striker and cover for left back...

That £10m was just for the striker though, there was the Neil Taylor interest that coincided with it at the time. So that's at least £11m for pure transfers and goodness knows how much else when every other aspect under the sun has been included in the figure (which tends to be the way we're doing things on here these days).

As I keep saying, I'm happy enough with another quality striker, cover for left-back, a replacement for Jose if he goes and then a further centre-back and right-back. However, things should have been better than that considering the wedge we got for Carroll.

Can't see more than two from that list coming in, which isn't enough IMO.

I seem to be one of the few, but it is genuinely the backline I'm most worried about. I'm perfectly happy with the five senior ones we do have (even Danny boy), but there's literally fuck all backing them up.

i share the concerns about the back line, not only is there fuck all back up Taylor is a liability and will be found out for about the 70th time in the first few games.

£10million won't go far though on a squad that requires at the bare minimum one proven top drawer striker and cover for left back...

That £10m was just for the striker though, there was the Neil Taylor interest that coincided with it at the time. So that's at least £11m for pure transfers and goodness knows how much else when every other aspect under the sun has been included in the figure (which tends to be the way we're doing things on here these days).

As I keep saying, I'm happy enough with another quality striker, cover for left-back, a replacement for Jose if he goes and then a further centre-back and right-back. However, things should have been better than that considering the wedge we got for Carroll.

Can't see more than two from that list coming in, which isn't enough IMO.

I seem to be one of the few, but it is genuinely the backline I'm most worried about. I'm perfectly happy with the five senior ones we do have (even Danny boy), but there's literally f*** all backing them up.

i share the concerns about the back line, not only is there f*** all back up Taylor is a liability and will be found out for about the 70th time in the first few games.

An extra CB is probably a bigger priority than an extra winger at this point. A diverse backup defender (i.e. a not terrible version of James Perch) would also be preferable.

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll, sorry. We could have done the business we have this summer anyway and still have a cracking centre forward to score the goals.

i've been saying this for weeks. some will tell you you're not allowed to judge the deal in hindsight though. that it's folly to judge how astute the deal was by taking into account what you do with the money you got for him, the compensation you receive for losing such a player. it's utter bollocks.

last season Carroll was banging them in for us and looking like a world beater, personally i dont care that he asked for a pay rise, he should've been given one. great players are paid great money, and if you dont like it sell the club at the loss, fuck off and let someone with even the tiniest clue about football run things. also if any players have a problem with a great player being paid more than them they can ship off to wigan or any other countless number of clubs who cant attract players worthy of high wages.

i've also said this before but selling Carroll was the catalyst for Enrique's unrest and we've heard even more about it recently, whatever Carroll does at Liverpool the fact remains that in this team with our players around him he looked un-playable at times, but we've got money to pay for tarmac and agents fees now, class mike, fucking class. we could and should have done every piece of business we've done this summer without selling Carroll.

and now we have to wait for smith and xisco to go before we bring in anyone who can actually play football because we dont want to pay them for doing nothing? we've been doing that for years!! so it's next summer again is it? mint, i'm looking forward to it.

None of this is convincing me it was the right thing to do to sell Andy Carroll, sorry. We could have done the business we have this summer anyway and still have a cracking centre forward to score the goals.

We wouldn't have had the money for their signing on/agent fees and wages had we not sold Andy Caroll.

i've been saying this for weeks. some will tell you you're not allowed to judge the deal in hindsight though. that it's folly to judge how astute the deal was by taking into account what you do with the money you got for him, the compensation you receive for losing such a player. it's utter bollocks.

last season Carroll was banging them in for us and looking like a world beater, personally i dont care that he asked for a pay rise, he should've been given one. great players are paid great money, and if you dont like it sell the club at the loss, fuck off and let someone with even the tiniest clue about football run things. also if any players have a problem with a great player being paid more than them they can ship off to wigan or any other countless number of clubs who cant attract players worthy of high wages.

i've also said this before but selling Carroll was the catalyst for Enrique's unrest and we've heard even more about it recently, whatever Carroll does at Liverpool the fact remains that in this team with our players around him he looked un-playable at times, but we've got money to pay for tarmac and agents fees now, class mike, fucking class. we could and should have done every piece of business we've done this summer without selling Carroll.

and now we have to wait for smith and xisco to go before we bring in anyone who can actually play football because we dont want to pay them for doing nothing? we've been doing that for years!! so it's next summer again is it? mint, i'm looking forward to it.

And here's me thinking AC had got a payrise last year. Silly me.

when he was offerred a new contract?

Sets an unsustainable precedent bowing to the demands of players, regardless of their stature.  'The club is bigger than the player', something that Sir Alex Ferguson loves (rightly) to broadcast whenever there is friction between one of his star players and the club. 

Having already been given a (substantial) wage rise in his new contract, there was no way the club could bow to Carroll's/Carroll's agents demands a mere month down the line. 

Also, it would have been financially-retarded for the club to reject an offer of £35m for a player of Carroll's (then) stature. 

Guest Antec

Sets an unsustainable precedent bowing to the demands of players, regardless of their stature.  'The club is bigger than the player', something that Sir Alex Ferguson loves (rightly) to broadcast whenever there is friction between one of his star players and the club. 

He knows fine well though that if a key player leaves, his squad can cope or he'll be allowed a decent replacement. We don't have that luxury

when he was offerred a new contract?

He got one October/November time did he not?

He knows fine well though that if a key player leaves, his squad can cope or he'll be allowed a decent replacement. We don't have that luxury

I don't think that comes into the picture though.  It's purely about the stature of the club and no player can damage it.

Even regardless of that, I think we have been able to find a 'decent replacement', as you put it, for Carroll in Demba Ba.

I don't think that comes into the picture though.  It's purely about the stature of the club and no player can damage it.

Even regardless of that, I think we have been able to find a 'decent replacement', as you put it, for Carroll in Demba Ba.

Carroll was on his way to attaining the stature of commanding said wages though, as Liverpools willingness to pay him those wages will attend to, is the clubs stature so important that we wont pay what people are worth? It seems that way. I can think of a bloke who's done his fair share of damaging the stature of the club recently btw, and i've never seen him playing football. God forbid Carroll should expect being paid well to do something that actually helps.

£6.5 million is a good price for Erdinc.

It is, aye, but the whole point of getting someone like Erdinc for a small price should be that we still have lots of money to buy quality in other positions, which isn't going to happen.

It is, aye, but the whole point of getting someone like Erdinc for a small price should be that we still have lots of money to buy quality in other positions.

Are you mad man!  £6.5m + agent fee + signing fee + all of the wages paid up front is at least £30m in Pardew / Lamblias maths.

£6.5 million is a good price for Erdinc.

I will be excited to see what he can do, should we sign him. There are some rather weird mixed messages coming out about it all.