Blaise Matuidi

Skeletor

2 months is more than enough. Compact the time and the deals get done quicker, rather than less deals being done.

At the moment, if you consider the fact deals start going through mid May, right upto August 31st, I don't see how it would be right to reduce a player's right to leave one job and start another from 4 and a half months a year (inc January), to just 3 months.

I don't see why not.

Because players in say, the English league & French league would be at an advantage because their season would be finished 3 weeks before the Spanish one, so would be free to move clubs, etc. whereas players in La Liga would be stuck until the end of May. I know deals couldn't officially go through until later but the players in those leagues which finish earlier will have more time to go and negotiate contracts, etc. on holiday than those still playing.

Still think the problems of the transfer window overlapping the season outweigh that issue. It is ridiculous that you can go into a season still haggling for players, trying to get a settled side and still being worried about who might come in for your players.

IMO

Not seen him play and know nothing of his quality, but as things stand he's the replacement for our club captain and top scorer. He cost around the same money, so there's not much of a financial outlay. So no, I couldn't say he was a major signing for squad improvement.

Still think the problems of the transfer window overlapping the season outweigh that issue. It is ridiculous that you can go into a season still haggling for players, trying to get a settled side and still being worried about who might come in for your players.

IMO

Totally agree, if there was such an issue with restraint of trade or freedom of movement there wouldn't be a transfer window at all. If there's going to be one, it should shut before the season starts.

(IMO)

That's like saying Ginola wasn't a great signing of squad improvement because he was unproven in England and didn't cost significantly more than replacing Sellars who left not long after.

Ginola was a great signing, we don't know how Cabaye is going to do.  If he'd (Ginola) flopped then he would have been a poor signing and wouldn't have improved the squad.

Not seen him play and know nothing of his quality, but as things stand he's the replacement for our club captain and top scorer. He cost around the same money, so there's not much of a financial outlay. So no, I couldn't say he was a major signing for squad improvement.

I guess it depends on your definition of a major signing (personally I don't think finance comes into it) , but signing a current French International, who has just been a key part of a team that has done a domestic double in France and has a great reputation is a pretty major signing on paper in my opinion.

I guess it depends on your definition of a major signing (personally I don't think finance comes into it) , but signing a current French International, who has just been a key part of a team that has done a domestic double in France and has a great reputation is a pretty major signing on paper in my opinion.

Fair enough, as I said I don't know the player so I can't judge. What I do know is what Nolan contributed, and he's gone. If Cabaye provides the same then I'm sure everyone will think he's better.

Fair enough, as I said I don't know the player so I can't judge. What I do know is what Nolan contributed, and he's gone. If Cabaye provides the same then I'm sure everyone will think he's better.

The first thing that comes to mind about the whole Cabaye debate thing here is that Afonso Alves who went to Boro a couple of years ago. Dutch top scorer, runner up in the European golden boot etc, went to Boro for £12m, labelled a master stroke and all that shit and was by and large, in the end, a total heap of shite I suppose. Got a good feeling about Cabaye though, be interesting to see his stats at the end of the season

If he could score anywhere near as many goals as Nolan without being an immobile lump then he'd be a big improvement.

Guest magpie99

There are no similarities between Nolan and Cabaye. They are totally different players:

Nolan - immobile, one paced, and can only play in one position, in the hole behind a target man

Cabaye - Box to box, can pass, can shoot, can score, quicker, yopunger, fitter and a current french international.

For the money, I guess we got the better end of the deal.

IMO I think there's a pretty good argument for just getting rid of the transfer windows.

Perhaps just implement a single "transfer deadline" midway into the season.

That's how it used to be, but I'd hate the idea of every week up until the end of March again players being linked away and coming in, etc. At least here it's more settled.

IMO I think there's a pretty good argument for just getting rid of the transfer windows.

Perhaps just implement a single "transfer deadline" midway into the season.

That's how it used to be, but I'd hate the idea of every week up until the end of March again players being linked away and coming in, etc. At least here it's more settled.

Yeah, at least now the endless speculation and total bollocks is concentrated into a couple of months.

The first thing that comes to mind about the whole Cabaye debate thing here is that Afonso Alves who went to Boro a couple of years ago. Dutch top scorer, runner up in the European golden boot etc, went to Boro for £12m, labelled a master stroke and all that shit and was by and large, in the end, a total heap of shite I suppose. Got a good feeling about Cabaye though, be interesting to see his stats at the end of the season

Why choose that example though? There are loads of players who have come in and done well - how is Cabaye anything like Alves?

The first thing that comes to mind about the whole Cabaye debate thing here is that Afonso Alves who went to Boro a couple of years ago. Dutch top scorer, runner up in the European golden boot etc, went to Boro for £12m, labelled a master stroke and all that s*** and was by and large, in the end, a total heap of s**** I suppose. Got a good feeling about Cabaye though, be interesting to see his stats at the end of the season

Why choose that example though? There are loads of players who have come in and done well - how is Cabaye anything like Alves?

Debating about 'major signings' and if Cabaye can surpass what Nolan has done for us last season. Just a comparison between circumstances of achieving great things abroad and then flopping in the Prem. Its a possibility. Said I have a good feeling about Cabaye though and I still stand by that :p

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

There are no similarities between Nolan and Cabaye. They are totally different players:

Nolan - immobile, one paced, and can only play in one position, in the hole behind a target man

Cabaye - Box to box, can pass, can shoot, can score, quicker, yopunger, fitter and a current french international.

For the money, I guess we got the better end of the deal.

Nolan was far better in midfield than as a advanced player.