London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Yeah but id say the Majority of Scots dont want it.

Well, you'd be wrong.

You sure? :lol:

Most don't give a shit I'd say, if anything.  I do live in Glasgow, though, and well the majority of Rangers fans support England and the Celtic fans with Ireland.. but aye to be honest.  No one's banging the drum for this (or independence for that matter) other than the politicians and SFA.  They're just playing on the apathy of the people.

Seems kind of pointless to hate the very existence of the country you're part of and will be forever.

Eh? ???

Scottish people are British people, right?

Wrong? ???

:mackems:

Have you ever watched Braveheart?

I know the history you nonce.

They're still British.

It also seems kind of pointless for the Koreans to have hated the Japanese Nation they were part of as well.

Koreans are Asian people right?

It also seems kind of pointless for the Koreans to have hated the Japanese Nation they were part of as well.

i think his point is that geographically scotland can never be separate from england, that is not the case with korean & japan is it?

anyway, i'd rebuild the wall myself, let them be independent behind it

i think his point is that geographically scotland can never be separate from england, that is not the case with korean & japan is it?

Doesn't mean they can't be two different nations full of two different distinct sets of people.  Geographically all of mainland Europe can never be seperate, but you sure as hell wouldn't want to try and combine France and Germany... (well, at least the French wouldn't try  :shifty:)

Doesn't mean they can't be two different nations full of two different distinct sets of people.  Geographically all of mainland Europe can never be seperate, but you sure as hell wouldn't want to try and combine France and Germany... (well, at least the French wouldn't try  :shifty:)

who said it did?  you made the poor comparison between korea & japan not me

I knew someone was going to pull that. :lol:

We are not even going to attempt to compare the Japanese invasion and subjugation of Korea to the political union of England and Scotland. We're just not.

I apologize for daring to mention an opinion I should probably have kept to myself, and I'm willing to just drop my point before this starts going to even uglier places.

We are not even going to attempt to compare the Japanese invasion of Korea to the political union of England and Scotland. We're just not.

I apologize for daring to mention an opinion I should probably have kept to myself, and I'm willing to just drop my point before this starts going to even uglier places.

i would assume that pandaminator was not really referring to that particular part of the scotland-england historical dynamic like :lol:

We are not even going to attempt to compare the Japanese invasion of Korea to the political union of England and Scotland. We're just not.

i would assume that pandaminator was not really referring to that particular part of the scotland-england historical dynamic like :lol:

Ah, right. Braveheart.

`We are not even going to attempt to compare the Japanese invasion of Korea t`

Seems ur missing the point then....there is no difference. Longshanks and other norman kings* did the same to the scots as the japs did to the koreans.  HOwever the flipside is that the scots have also invaded england under Malcom and others.  

Doesnt account for the fact the scotish fa are bunch of power hungry twats tho )   We all know what a bunch of muppets the english fa are....

*kings descended from the noble lines of the norman invaders

We are not even going to attempt to compare the Japanese invasion and subjugation of Korea to the political union of England and Scotland. We're just not.

English rolled into Scotland in horses, the Japanese rolled into Korea in tanks.  Sure, after 400 years there was a "political" union, but generally when your charge of a place for a dozen human lifespans, you can generally do whatever you want.  If Japan had held onto Korea for a couple of centuries, i'm sure we would've eventually seen an fully entrenched United Kingdom of the Far East, maybe with your very own Princess Diana.

English rolled into Scotland in horses, the Japanese rolled into Korea in tanks.  Sure, after 400 years there was a "political" union, but generally when your charge of a place for a dozen human lifespans, you can generally do whatever you want.  If Japan had held onto Korea for a couple of centuries, i'm sure we would've eventually seen an fully entrenched United Kingdom of the Far East, maybe with your very own Princess Diana.

Or your own Jappo-Korean Pippa Middleton, at least:

http://www.malcolmcoles.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/arse-pippa-middleton.png

:fwap:

Anyone really surprised by this latest development?

The whole of Scotland and Wales have one massive chip on their shoulders man. f***ing petty c***s should get on with it rather than denying some of their youngsters the chance to perform on the world stage, something they'll probably never have the opportunity to do because their national teams are a bag of f***ing s***.

Have we????

I would say most people I've spoken to don't get what the Welsh FA are playing at. The FA are a bunch of cunts not the supporters. I like many Welsh fans would love to see our players play on an International stage and this is by far the best chance I'll get to see it.

I've always wanted this. I'm an active Scotland fan, and all others seem viciously opposed, but I'd love to see it. Can't wait to get the shirt.

(stick Team GB up your arse was quite a common away chant for a while)

fuck never thought of that, can you imagine how many of that shirt will get sold :kinnear:

I wish they would all just suck it up and sign up for GB2012.

There's absolutely no chance of anyone losing their independence. Can you image England signing up to a permanent GB team either?

:lol:

off to the pet hates thread for me!

:lol:

I know it's not called that, I'm just saving typing.

Sorry, I'll refer to it as the Association Football Team for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland at the Games of the XXX Olympiad in future.

Craig Brown warns against 'selfish' Scots in Team GB

Page last updated at 14:25 GMT, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 15:25 UK

E-mail this to a friend

Printable version

Craig Brown in his days as Scotland manager Brown believes Team GB jeopardises the future of the Scotland national team

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown has criticised the proposal by the British Olympic Association to field a Great Britain team at London 2012.

And he urged Scottish players to think about the ramifications for future players if they represent Team GB.

"You could jeopardise your opportunity to play for Scotland. There might no longer be a Scottish team," said Brown.

"Are you going to put other players' possibility of playing for Scotland at risk by being selfish and playing?"

The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish football associations have taken a dim view of the BOA's statement that a "historic agreement" had been reached with the four home nations for a united GB team.

But Stewart Regan, the SFA's chief executive, stated that no sanctions would be taken against any Scottish player who chose to participate.

And Brown, now manager at Aberdeen, said: "I've no doubt that they should not participate in this at all because it is the thin edge of the wedge.

"Fifa would love to combine the four countries and make it a GB team.

"I have that on no less an authority than the late David Will, who was vice-president of Fifa.

"He warned me that Fifa would like to combine us, so we must retain the Scottish identity and have a Scottish international team."

In an interview on BBC Radio Scotland, Brown said he was wary of Fifa and its president, Sepp Blatter - and questioned the prestige of Olympic football, which is principally for players under the age of 23.

"The trust in Fifa is wavering," continued Brown, who managed Scotland from 1993 until 2001.

"There hasn't been a great deal of trust anyway, but recent events make it less trustworthy.

"Although Mr Blatter and his colleagues did say that this would be a one-off situation, I don't think many people believe that.

"Anyway, it is a nonsense to think that the football team is truly representative of the best players in Great Britain, because it is a discriminatory sport - there is an age limit in football that doesn't exist in any other sport in the Olympic Games.

"It's a distortion to make people think it is the ultimate tournament in football. The World Cup, the European Championship, even the World Under-20 Championship, are bigger in football."

The 70-year-old made it clear that he felt no connection with a Great British team.

"I would rather lose as Scotland than win as Great Britain," he added.

"I feel for our identity; I am very patriotic, as most football people are.

"It's far more important to play for Scotland than play for Great Britain.

"I don't think the players are missing out on anything. I think it is far better for them to stick to the Scottish team, play at Under-21 level and at national level for Scotland, both for the ladies' team and for the men's team, rather than get involved in the Olympic team."

Neville Southall opposes Wales involvement in GB team

Page last updated at 06:28 GMT, Wednesday, 22 June 2011 07:28 UK

E-mail this to a friend

Printable version

Former goalkeeper Neville Southall has said he fears for Wales' football identity with the advent of a Great Britain side at the Olympics.

The British Olympic Association said a "historic agreement" had been reached with the Football Association over fielding teams at the 2012 Games.

But in response the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish associations expressed their opposition to the Olympic teams.

"I think it opens a can of worms," Southall told BBC Wales.

The British Olympic Association announced on Tuesday it had reached "an agreement" with the FA to enable Team GB to compete in both men's and women's football in 2012.

"The FA has consulted with its partner associations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in developing the player-selection criteria and timeline," the BOA said in a statement.

"A 'long list' of players will be drawn up by the managers of the men's and women's teams and they will each be asked to confirm their availability.

"This will then be reduced to a shortlist and an announcement of the two squads will follow in the summer of 2012."

But in response the Football Association of Wales, along with their counterparts in Scotland and Northern Ireland, reacted angrily to claims that their players could take part in a united Great Britain football team.

Football Association of Wales chief executive Jonathan Ford confirmed it did not endorse the agreement, stressing its opposition had been expressed clearly to the FA.

The FAW has long held the belief that their involvement in any GB team would threaten Wales' independence within Fifa, world football's governing body.

And former Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall, Wales' most capped player with 92 appearances, was left unimpressed by the BOA announcement.

"The whole point of going to the Olympics is that special moment when your flag goes up," said Southall.

"What flag are they going to put up if they win it? [The] Union Jack? It's not my flag. My flag's a Dragon.

"As a Welshman I'd rather play for Wales if I was in the Olympics. I would want to go and represent my country.

"I don't see the point having a Great British team. You will just lose the identity of all the teams."

Southall also believes club managers with be reluctant to allow players to take part in a competition which will be staged on the eve of the 2012/13 season.

And the former Wales captain says football at the Olympic Games should be a competition for amateur rather than professional players.

"I wouldn't send them [professional players] anywhere near it," said Southall. "Why would you want to get them injured?

"If I've got a player who is worth £10m, why would I want somebody kicking lumps out of him at the Olympics?

"It's a nice tournament but it's supposed to be for the best amateurs.

"I've heard David Beckham's name mentioned and people like that and I'm thinking 'that's professional'. The whole ethos [of the Olympics] is it's amateur."

Absolute massive chip on their shoulders, hold your fucking welsh flag up..hold your scottish flag up or whatever.

Its doesn't fucking mater but lets have a football team in our own olympic games.

FFS.