London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Does this arrogant bullying by the BOA & FA regarding Team GB have anything to do with the thousands of unsold Olympic Football tickets?

:shifty:

Answer: most probably. :nods:

Don't know why folks on here are getting their knickers in a twist about not wanting Scotland involved. I can't see the SFA wanting to sanction it, anymore than I can see the SNP tolerating it.

It will be an English team masquerading as "British".

A lot of the Scotish hate the idea of Britain full stop never mind a British football team.

Don't give a fucking shit. The majority of people from Britian, like Britian and want Britian to have a team to cheer on, no reason at all why we should pander to a vocal minority.

Three times...

Seems kind of pointless to hate the very existence of the country you're part of and will be forever.

Eh? ???

Scottish people are British people, right?

Wrong? ???

:mackems:

Have you ever watched Braveheart?

Seems kind of pointless to hate the very existence of the country you're part of and will be forever.

Eh? ???

Wrong? ???

I know the history you nonce.

They're still British.

Eh? ???

Wrong? ???

They're still British.

Bit unnecessary.

Eh? ???

Wrong? ???

They're still British.

Right. :neutral:

Well, I was trying to deal with this in a light-hearted way...but if you want to go all keyboard warrior on me and it makes you feel better, then so be it.

I know it's insensitive of me but I just think the whole "we're not British, we're Scottish" thing is a bit silly at this point, that's all.

In retrospect, probably an opinion I should have kept to myself :lol:

I know it's insensitive of me but I just think the whole "we're not British, we're Scottish" thing is a bit silly at this point, that's all.

This is not about football. This is much more about domestic UK politics and it's probably also about face-saving for Scottish football and the SFA (and for that matter Welsh & Northern Irish).

This is not about football. This is much more about domestic UK politics and it's probably also about face-saving for Scottish football and the SFA (and for that matter Welsh & Northern Irish).

I wasn't talking about football either, but really I've just realized that this is a fight that I so do not need to start.

I wasn't talking about football either, but really I've just realized that this is a fight that I so do not need to start.

Anyone really surprised by this latest development?

The whole of Scotland and Wales have one massive chip on their shoulders man. Fucking petty cunts should get on with it rather than denying some of their youngsters the chance to perform on the world stage, something they'll probably never have the opportunity to do because their national teams are a bag of fucking shit.

Guest Recoba

I've a ticket for the quarter final at St James.

Hope its Brazil or Spain.

Who do think will be the over 23 players. I'm sure last time Brazil were captained by  Dinho, Argentina by Riquelme and Nigeria by Odemwingie.

Beckham... will it happen?

Who do think will be the over 23 players. I'm sure last time Brazil were captained by  Dinho, Argentina by Riquelme and Nigeria by Odemwingie.

I think Rooney will want to play in it. Although it'll be interesting to see if Taggart lets him.

Shane Ferguson left wing.

We won't see him unfortunately, he has opted to play for the Republic.

Republic might...

nah forget it.

Has he officially opted for them yet? Any caps?

Shane Ferguson left wing.

We won't see him unfortunately, he has opted to play for the Republic.

Republic might...

nah forget it.

Has he officially opted for them yet? Any caps?

He hasn't played for the Republic as yet. But he's pretty much ignoring Nigel Worthington's calls so think that's a sign that he would prefer to play for the Republic instead of the North.

EDIT: The Northern Irish aren't happy with this either! Updated article in the OP btw.

Key figures on the debate over the 2012 football team

Page last updated at 20:02 GMT, Tuesday, 21 June 2011 21:02 UK

The idea of a united Great Britain football team at the 2012 Olympics has divided opinion over the years.

The British Olympic Association announced on Tuesday that a "historic deal" had been reached with the English Football Association to field a men's and women's GB team at the Games.

But the Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland strongly denied they had reached any agreement about a united 2012 team.

Here is a selection of opinions from key figures about the prospect of Team GB taking part in the Olympic football competition.

Former England captain David Beckham (June 2011)

"I'd love to be part of it. I'm an East End lad and being English born and bred, it would be something I'd be very honoured to be part of.

"Football will be a massive part of the Olympics and it will be really exciting to see that."

Football Association director of development Sir Trevor Brooking (June 2011)

"Playing in front of a big London crowd in an Olympics would be an unforgettable experience, even if you are Northern Irish, Welsh or Scottish, but it's their decision.

"I've always thought that it would be great for this tournament that the team would be British but it's for the different associations to decide."

Wales defender Gareth Bale (May 2011)

"I want to play in the Olympics. I think it would be a great experience.

"You see it with the British and Irish Lions in the rugby, they come together as a unit and play against other countries. It's great and there's no reason why that can't happen with the football

"At the moment Wales haven't qualified for a major tournament in I don't know how many years so it would be nice to play in one against the best countries in the world."

England legend Sir Bobby Charlton (March 2011)

"Trying to get a Great Britain team together is going to be very interesting.

"But countries like Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are very passionate, they expect to be able to perform in the Olympic Games themselves.

"If they have to play as a British team it's going to be a hard thing for them to do."

England women's captain Faye White (February 2011)

"Playing at the Olympics would be massive as it would give it more exposure and coverage.

"Just look at cycling and swimming and how the success has catapulted them from that stage on to a new level."

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp (July 2010)

"It's coming to England and obviously we're all looking forward to it.

"I'm not sure of the actual criteria, what is needed and what you're allowed to pick, but I'd like to see us pick the strongest possible team from Great Britain. Whether we have some of the Irish lads, the Scottish lads, let's pick the best team.

"It's a one-off opportunity, the Olympic Games in this country, I'd like to see us pick the best possible team and try to win the gold medal."

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown (March 2009)

"If there is an insistence on having UK representation, why not allow all four teams to compete?

"Football is already a special case in the Olympics because it discriminates by only allowing players under 23 to compete, so why not allow the four sides from the UK?"

England coach Fabio Capello (November 2008)

"It's only fair that Great Britain should have a team at the Olympics, but it is up to others to decide how, and with which players."

Former Scotland manager George Burley (August 2008)

"The national team comes first and at the moment we are keen to keep our nationality intact.

"We have to have a national Scottish team and we can't put that in jeopardy so there has been no change. It's been black and white from day one with the SFA."

Former culture secretary Andy Burnham (March 2008)

"I do not want to see 50 or so young people denied the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of competing in a home Olympics.

"I believe this compromise respects the autonomy of each individual FA, but leaves it to the personal decision of young people whether to be involved."

With Brazil not playing in the WCQ's I'd expect them to bring as strong a squad as possible as they'll need the competitive games. So could well include the likes of Sandro, Neymar, Ganso, Lucas (SP), Pato, Coutinho, Douglas Costa, Leandro as well as the 3 x over 23's. It's famously the only competition they've not won too.