London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Absolute massive chip on their shoulders, hold your f***ing welsh flag up..hold your scottish flag up or whatever.

Its doesn't f***ing mater but lets have a football team in our own olympic games.

FFS.

This.

Yeah but id say the Majority of Scots dont want it.

Well, you'd be wrong.

You sure? :lol:

Most don't give a s*** I'd say, if anything.  I do live in Glasgow, though, and well the majority of Rangers fans support England and the Celtic fans with Ireland.. but aye to be honest.  No one's banging the drum for this (or independence for that matter) other than the politicians and SFA. They're just playing on the apathy of the people.

Yep, it seems like it!

Yeah because Craig Brown and Neville Southall represent the common people, eh? :lol:

Have you ever been to Scotland game? Honestly, 'Stick team GB up your arse was as prominent as flower of scotland a couple of years ago when the debate was high profile. I'd imagine a lot of Rangers fans want it, but do a survey at Hampden and I'd bet a lot that the vast majority would oppose it.  It's very passionate too, it seems to be seen that you can't be a Scotland fan if you'd like team GB.

I wouldn't claim that a message board is hard evidence, but this is the main Tartan Army board:

http://taboard.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129686&st=0

Yeah because Craig Brown and Neville Southall represent the common people, eh? :lol:

Have you ever been to Scotland game? Honestly, 'Stick team GB up your arse was as prominent as flower of scotland a couple of years ago when the debate was high profile. I'd imagine a lot of Rangers fans want it, but do a survey at Hampden and I'd bet a lot that the vast majority would oppose it.  It's very passionate too, it seems to be seen that you can't be a Scotland fan if you'd like team GB.

I wouldn't claim that a message board is hard evidence, but this is the main Tartan Army board:

Completely off topic but if you look on the 2nd page they have a Shane Ferguson thread. 

Have you ever been to Scotland game? Honestly, 'Stick team GB up your arse was as prominent as flower of scotland a couple of years ago when the debate was high profile. I'd imagine a lot of Rangers fans want it, but do a survey at Hampden and I'd bet a lot that the vast majority would oppose it.  It's very passionate too, it seems to be seen that you can't be a Scotland fan if you'd like team GB.

The Tartan Army are about as representative of Scotland as Newcastle is of England.  Got to remember, this is the Olympics, so it covers more than just football fans. 

The rugby fans at my old work were all for it, for instance, as they've experienced the British Lions pish and aren't simple morons.  You also get large swathes of England supporting cricket fans up here, so again, that's another group that aren't brought up on the bitter Scottish football dogma that exists.  I do accept now it might not be as balanced as I've said though, but in Glasgow it certainly is. 

Also, I wouldn't go to a Scotland game if my life depended on it.  Have no desire to be around 50,000 needlessly bitter bastards.

The Tartan Army are about as representative of Scotland as Newcastle is of England.  Got to remember, this is the Olympics, so it covers more than just football fans. 

The rugby fans at my old work were all for it, for instance, as they've experienced the British Lions pish and aren't simple morons.  You also get large swathes of England supporting cricket fans up here, so again, that's another group that aren't brought up on the bitter Scottish football dogma that exists.  I do accept now it might not be as balanced as I've said though, but in Glasgow it certainly is. 

Also, I wouldn't go to a Scotland game if my life depended on it.  Have no desire to be around 50,000 needlessly bitter bastards.

Remind me, Bluf, when was the last time you were at SJP? :lol:

Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington would be happy to see his players make themselves available for the 2012 Olympics.

The Irish Football Association have opposed the creation of a united Team GB side for the London games, with fears raised regarding national identity in the eyes of Fifa.

The British Olympic Association recently released a statement saying players from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would be eligible for selection next year.

The IFA have strongly refuted that suggestion and have joined with their Scottish and Welsh counterparts to register their condemnation of such plans.

Worthington, though, appreciates the lure of the Olympics and believes any player who opts to go forward for selection should not be tainted by that decision.

Impact

"The players will have their own views on whether they want to be involved in a GB team at the Olympics and whatever their view is should have no impact on their international careers," Worthington told the Belfast Telegraph.

"I can understand players wanting to play in an Olympics and they should not be criticised for that but I also understand the position taken by the Irish FA.

"It is not an issue that I am really involved in as it's a matter for the associations and they have made their positions clear.

"As an international manager I would have no problem with players wanting to be involved."

Rangers youngsters Kyle Hutton and Gregg Wylde, meanwhile, have both indicated they would be willing to play for Great Britain.

Achievement

Speaking at the launch of the Rangers' new away kit, Wylde, 20, said: "I wouldn't mind to be honest. I haven't been called up to the Scotland squad yet and hopefully if I play this season I will be called up.

"But if I do get called up to the Team GB team it would be good for me and my career ahead."

Hutton, also 20, added: "I feel the same. Obviously if the chance came along to be picked for Team GB it would be a great achievement for me.

"It is the whole event, everybody knows about it (the Olympics)."

Hutton admits he would relish the prospect of playing alongside former England midfielder David Beckham, if that were to be the case - but insists Rangers remain his priority.

"He (Beckham) is a worldwide superstar because of his ability and to play alongside him would be a dream come true," said Hutton.

"But if it coincided with the league and stuff like that I would leave it out and stick with Rangers and totally focus on them."

This worrying from Brown and Southall about losing the National team, but can FIFA actually force a GB team, if this is the case and they combine the FA's surely they'd have to combine the domestic leagues as well. I can't see how FIFA can force a GB team. If this was something really to worry about I'm sure the English FA would have major issues with it as well, seeing as they would be effected the most as its their team that qualifies more often than not for these competitions.

I'd be proud to watch some Welsh players represent Britain at the olympics as I am proud of Welsh athletes who are part of the olympic team, I naturally would support a Welsh athlete over English/Scottish/N Irish athelete even though they are part of the same team.

This worrying from Brown and Southall about losing the National team, but can FIFA actually force a GB team, if this is the case and they combine the FA's surely they'd have to combine the domestic leagues as well. I can't see how FIFA can force a GB team. If this was something really to worry about I'm sure the English FA would have major issues with it as well, seeing as they would be effected the most as its their team that qualifies more often than not for these competitions.

I'd be proud to watch some Welsh players represent Britain at the olympics as I am proud of Welsh athletes who are part of the olympic team, I naturally would support a Welsh athlete over English/Scottish/N Irish athelete even though they are part of the same team.

probably not much to worry about then other than Bale?

Team GB shirt not a neat fit for Scots

Comments

Facebook

Twitter

Post categories: Football

Jim Spence | 11:28 UK time, Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Some Scottish football fans may be asking what is it that the British Olympic Association doesn't get when it comes to a GB football team.

Their announcement that an "historic agreement" had been reached allowing footballers from all the home nations to play for Team GB at the London 2012 Olympic Games has caused uproar among the Tartan Army.

The majority of Scottish football fans appear not to want to be part of a Team GB.

Simples, as the meerkats say.

Many will argue that we compete in the Olympics under the GB banner in other events, but when it comes to football, the BOA is, I suspect, about to become acquainted with hidden depths of feelings they never realised existed.

Why? Well, the national football team always has been a source of pride and self-expression for the vast bulk of Scots.

Sometimes there is no logical or rational reasoning for why something is done in a certain way, but many Scottish football fans will say, that still doesn't make it the wrong way.

And, anyway, they will tell you that there is a very good reason why Scotland don't compete as Team GB when it comes to football.

They will tell you that, if Scotland did, it would be all the excuse some within the Fifa family would need to try to strip Scotland of her unique position as a separate footballing entity.

Someone once described Scotland as being a bit like the Vatican City: a state within a state.

But, whatever the truth of the matter, for Scottish fans it appears to mainly be a state within a state of mind when it comes to football.

The BOA may wish it were otherwise, but for the bulk of football followers, Scotland does not equate to England and does not equal Team GB.

Scotland is Scotland on the football field, they will tell you, and that is the end of it.

From the wonder of the Wembley Wizards, to the swaggering insouciance of Baxter, Law and Johnstone as they demolished Alf Ramsey's World Cup Willie's, Scots have a picture in their minds of what it means to play for Scotland at football.

And that picture, for the majority of Scottish fans, doesn't feature Scots in a Team GB shirt.

The Scottish Football Association has made its opposition crystal clear on the matter.

George Peat, the outgoing president of the SFA, has had his critics, but his statement on this issue probably echoes the views of most Scottish football fans.

He said: "I am absolutely astounded that they have put out this statement. I know

Yeah but id say the Majority of Scots dont want it.

Well, you'd be wrong.

"Am nort Scortish."

Just cos something looks like a sheep, walks like a sheep and sounds like a sheep, doesn't always mean it is a sheep.

It may be a very furry pig.

• 3 months later...
Stuart Pearce and Hope Powell to lead GB Olympic teams

Stuart Pearce and Hope Powell will take charge of Great Britain's Olympic football teams at London 2012.

Pearce, the England Under-21 manager since 2007, is also a coach for the senior side, while Powell has led England's women for 13 years.

"I am extremely proud to have this opportunity and I'm looking forward to getting started," said Pearce.

Both coaches will have the option to select players from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

However, the Football Association of Wales has reiterated its opposition to a British team, re-affirming their stance that they feel it threatens their independence.

And former Scotland manager Craig Brown told BBC Radio 5 live: "I wish them every success but I would still be disappointed if any selected Scottish player took part.

"We fear the autonomy of Scottish football would be jeapordised if we were to play and it would be selfish of the player."

The 18-strong squads must contain 15 players who were born on, or after, 1 January 1989 - the other three players can be older.

Former England captain David Beckham, 36, is known to be keen to represent Great Britain at the Olympics.

But Pearce said he would only select players on "form and fitness" and would not be drawn on whether Beckham will be included.

"I've not seen him play recently, he's a bit old for the Under-21s," Pearce joked.

"I was fortunate to be part of Euro 96, so I know how special it can be to play for your country on home soil at a major tournament," he continued.

"I'm sure this group of players will relish being part of not only a huge tournament in this country, but a unique one competing together and representing the UK."

Despite assurances to the contrary from Fifa, the nations are concerned that the selection of their players will undermine their independent status in the international game.

Powell has led England to four successive major finals, including Euro 2005 on home soil.

She said: "The attendances at the games during Euro 2005 were a sign of progress for women's football in this country, and it helped provide a platform for what has happened since then.

"I'm delighted to be in the position to be able to take a team into such an illustrious tournament, I just wish it were starting tomorrow."

The Football Association made the appointments after being instructed by the British Olympic Association to oversee Team GB.

"With their excellent track record and experience I am convinced we have chosen the best coaches for these positions," stated FA chairman David Bernstein.

GB will field a men's team for the first time since the Rome Games of 1960 while the women are making their debut.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/15382675.stm

Fuking Pearce  :lol:

Should have offered it to ferguson, would have got the sfa to consider backing it.

So england yoof plus Bale & Ramsey?

I would bring Bannan, Fletcher, Bellamy, Neil Taylor and a few others myself.

The addition of Ramsey and Wilshere being back will probably improve England squad a lot, players actually capable of keeping the ball in midfield, rather than just losing possesion. Not convinced by Pearce though as a manager