Tranquillo Barnetta signs for Schalke

oldtype

Who says we're playing hardball? :lol:

I'd assume that we offered him his worth based on our current wage structure.  Seems fair.

We knew he was on more, why would he take less to come here?

Why are we always trying to be so cheap like? Obviously we don't want to offer Man City money but ultimately if we are committed to bringing a player in we've got to satisfy everyone. Yes, £40,000 per week is a shitload of cash in the real world, but football has been disconnected from that for so long it seems daft to even bother mentioning it any more.

This reaction from his agent doesn't exactly sound like we're reasonably close to agreeing a deal, does it?

Course not, but agents can be prone to exaggerating in the media to achieve what they want.

No idea whether £40k a week is what he's worth, what he should be paid, too much or too little. All football wages are mental. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that means we should pay every player whatever it takes to get them.

Do you? Would we be having this debate if we'd offered him 50k, or 60k? Just seems like a discussion that's purely subjective.

Say we've offered him the same as Cabaye is on, that seems fair to me.

If we genuinely want a player then we have to pay what is necessary, both to satisfy his club and the player (plus his agent I guess). What that figure actually is, and what other players like Cabaye are on is totally irrelevant; each is its own case. If we want him, we'll have to pay what it takes. If it's too much for us, the transfer simply isn't happening.

This is apparently the player's agent, how often do you hear agents come out with reactions like this? It's not common to deride an offer like this. He claims we've known what he's on for some time. Perhaps foolishly I assume Llambias can operate Google and knows his current club is in the Champions League and has far better prospects than us. To therefore not offer somewhere near what it takes to get him is just stupid.

Like we did for Owen, Duff, Geremi etc etc.

Don't get me wrong - offering less than someone is on is stupid.  But we shouldn't pay whatever a player asks for and should be within our wage structure.

Ignoring the debate over whether a wage cap is a good thing or not, if our structure is that rigid then we should know within one or two phonecalls whether players are going to be attainable or not. We shouldn't even be wasting time and resources scouting them. Again, there's simply no excuse after all this time.

Oh, and that's an interesting set of names you mention considering one was signed by Ashley and one was supposedly offered the biggest contract in NUFC history... by Ashley.

Once again, if we have so much trust in our scouting team to deliver value for money, we should be willing to back his judgement.

I'd assume that we offered him his worth based on our current wage structure.  Seems fair.

So is playing hardball just offering someone what you've decided you can afford to pay him?

Did we? 

He doesn't appear to want to take less, so let's move on somehow.

Why are we always trying to be so cheap like? Obviously we don't want to offer Man City money but ultimately if we are committed to bringing a player in we've got to satisfy everyone. Yes, £40,000 per week is a shitload of cash in the real world, but football has been disconnected from that for so long it seems daft to even bother mentioning it any more.

This reaction from his agent doesn't exactly sound like we're reasonably close to agreeing a deal, does it?

Course not, but agents can be prone to exaggerating in the media to achieve what they want.

No idea whether £40k a week is what he's worth, what he should be paid, too much or too little. All football wages are mental. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that means we should pay every player whatever it takes to get them.

Do you? Would we be having this debate if we'd offered him 50k, or 60k? Just seems like a discussion that's purely subjective.

If we genuinely want a player then we have to pay what is necessary, both to satisfy his club and the player (plus his agent I guess). What that figure actually is, and what other players like Cabaye are on is totally irrelevant; each is its own case. If we want him, we'll have to pay what it takes. If it's too much for us, the transfer simply isn't happening.

This is apparently the player's agent, how often do you hear agents come out with reactions like this? It's not common to deride an offer like this. He claims we've known what he's on for some time. Perhaps foolishly I assume Llambias can operate Google and knows his current club is in the Champions League and has far better prospects than us. To therefore not offer somewhere near what it takes to get him is just stupid.

Don't get me wrong - offering less than someone is on is stupid.  But we shouldn't pay whatever a player asks for and should be within our wage structure.

Ignoring the debate over whether a wage cap is a good thing or not, if our structure is that rigid then we should know within one or two phonecalls whether players are going to be attainable or not. We shouldn't even be wasting time and resources scouting them. Again, there's simply no excuse after all this time.

Oh, and that's an interesting set of names you mention considering one was signed by Ashley and one was supposedly offered the biggest contract in NUFC history... by Ashley.

Once again, if we have so much trust in our scouting team to deliver value for money, we should be willing to back his judgement.

Yeah, that's a fair point. If we know our wage structure it's stupid to pursue players who are well outside it.

That said though, it could be that Barnetta is only on £25k now and we're actually offering a decent deal. It could just be that he (or this pseudo-agent bloke) think he should be getting more.

That sort of thing is difficult to know until you're actually in contact I reckon.

Did we? 

Who the fuck would want to take less?  :lol:

Did we? 

Who the f*** would want to take less?  :lol:

Would have to factor in if this is the best offer he has for the next few years, bearing in mind that his contract is up after this season.

The offer needs to be put into context - he's at a Champions League club who finished 2nd last year above Bayern Munich.

and he doesn't look like being a first choice selection.

and he's playing in a lesser league.

and his contract is up in a year.

Yeah, that's a fair point. If we know our wage structure it's stupid to pursue players who are well outside it.

That said though, it could be that Barnetta is only on £25k now and we're actually offering a decent deal. It could just be that he (or this pseudo-agent bloke) think he should be getting more.

That sort of thing is difficult to know until you're actually in contact I reckon.

He's on 60 grand a week according to Graeme Bailey.

The signing of this fella could have gone someway to rebuilding our faith and optimism in this summer's transfer plans and next season's campaign.

Instead, in typical Ashley/LLambias fashion, they've just made things even worse.

You couldn't fucking write it could you.

I'm not suggesting that we pay every player whatever they want but the board must have some idea of what a player's current earnings are before they enter into negotiations. FFS!

He's on 60 grand a week according to Graeme Bailey.

Ah reet, well fair enough then.

The offer needs to be put into context - he's at a Champions League club who finished 2nd last year above Bayern Munich.

and they'll be knocked out in the group stages anyway.

Yup.. sorry but if he is after £80k then he will be waiting a LONG time for ANY club to offer him that.

The signing of this fella could have gone someway to rebuilding our faith and optimism in this summer's transfer plans and next season's campaign.

Instead, in typical Ashley/LLambias fashion, they've just made things even worse.

I'm not suggesting that we pay every player whatever they want but the board must have some idea of what a player's current earnings are before they enter into negotiations. FFS!

Barton's on what?, 60k a week? Assuming this guy is his replacement then we should have at least 60K a week to play with.

You couldn't f***ing write it could you.

Barton's on what?, 60k a week? Assuming this guy is his replacement then we should have at least 60K a week to play with.

No we wont.  We had a wage cap put in place since, remember?

But we have capped our wages at £50k yet upping it to £60l may help keep Jose, may help keep a lot more players come next year and may also help sign this lad.

Will they up it? will they fuck

Seeing as how Ashley's model of running a football club is so radical and visionary, makes you wonder how the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Man City, Chelsea and  Man United struggle by with their archaic method of paying good wages for top players and, you know, winning stuff. The dirty, cheating gets.

Seeing as how Ashley's model of running a football club is so radical and visionary, maeks you wonder how the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Man City, Chelsea and  Man United struggle by with their archaic method of paying good wages for top players and, you know, winning stuff. The dirty, cheating gets.

You actually made a fair point there but ruined it with such extreme examples.