Current line up...

madras

Not enough, I do like quite a few of our back up players though and some of our youngsters have a chance to step up.

Shouldn't be the case but the likes of Sammy, Vuckic, Ferguson and maybe even Abeid are going to get chances and I am actually quite excited by that. The general concensus is Ferguson isn't a left back but I am backing the lad to prove a lot of people wrong, tenacious despite being slight of frame, quick and will get forward very well. Reckon this could be his year if given the chance and Santon goes over to the right.

Pardew didn't have the bottle to start Sammy or Vuckic against Fulham despite Lovenkrands playing 120mins a few days before.  Can't see many chances for them this season unless Pardew changes his opinion.

Not enough, I do like quite a few of our back up players though and some of our youngsters have a chance to step up.

Shouldn't be the case but the likes of Sammy, Vuckic, Ferguson and maybe even Abeid are going to get chances and I am actually quite excited by that. The general concensus is Ferguson isn't a left back but I am backing the lad to prove a lot of people wrong, tenacious despite being slight of frame, quick and will get forward very well. Reckon this could be his year if given the chance and Santon goes over to the right.

Pardew didn't have the bottle to start Sammy or Vuckic against Fulham despite Lovenkrands playing 120mins a few days before.  Can't see many chances for them this season unless Pardew changes his opinion.

That was worrying like, hopefully he's just unsure at the moment rather than totally against the idea.

I would love that. Pinning a lot of hope onto Ferguson and Tavernier.

Abeid, Ameobi and Vuckic go without saying.

IMO they should all be out on loan getting their minutes in, not filling in for squad deficiencies.

Agree entirely. Still think a couple of them will, at least. We're in good shape in terms of fitness at this moment, would be a good opportunity to get them out for a month or more.

:thup: tbh it has been one thing I've been impressed with re: Pardew since he came in. Hughton was seemingly reluctant to loan players out.

Harper

Krul

Raylor Saylor Coloccini Santon

Cabaye Tiote

Jonas                           Marveux

Obertan    Vuckic         Ben Arfa

Shola  Ba   Sammy

Would be immense IMO.

Definitely the right decision to put Best on the bench in that formation. To crowded up front i guess.

Team that started v Villa last season:

Newcastle

01 Harper

02 Coloccini

03 Jose Enrique

06 Williamson

14 Perch

04 Nolan

07 Barton

10 Routledge (Ameobi 76)

18 Gutierrez (Xisco 80)

09 Carroll

17 Smith  (Taylor 76)

...definitely strengthened in 12months.

Newcastle

01 Harper

02 Coloccini

03 Jose Enrique

06 Williamson

14 Perch

04 Nolan

07 Barton

10 Routledge (Ameobi 76)

18 Gutierrez (Xisco 80)

09 Carroll

17 Smith  (Taylor 76)

cherry picking to be honest.

Would I be wrong to suggest that it looks as though only the midfield has been strengthened this summer? Even that's debatable given the influence of Barton and Nolan last season...

only if you look at it in the most basic of terms, merveaux isn't a forward but is very attacking,cabaye is a midfielder but will overall be much better for us than nolan.

I am amazed by the basic way many look at football, very much in FM terms, how many on here scream for 4-4-2 with wingers etc when it's patently obvious thats not going to get the best from our squad.

Of course, "patently obvious" to the footballing sage that is madras. I'm fairly certain some people speak in those terms as an easy way of communicating on a forum where every single slip of the finger (tongue) is pounced upon given half an opportunity. The defence, at the very least, is a separate entity then. To me it looks weaker on paper.

In terms of the "attacking section" of the team, it remains up for debate, especially if you merge it together.

I would love that. Pinning a lot of hope onto Ferguson and Tavernier.

Abeid, Ameobi and Vuckic go without saying.

Not to make excuses for the wankers who have failed us this summer, but i would genuinely consider the likes of Vuckic, Sammy and Ferguson as 'new signings'. They certainly weren't really official squad members last season, with only Ferguson looking remotely likely of breaking into the first team.

That said, if the likes of Lovenkrands and Smith keep getting the nod ahead of them, then fucking forget it.

That us key for me, Pardew has shown some common sense with the youth since he got here but he really must take a fe more risks with youth. Smith and Loven should be as far away from the team as possible. Vuckic was brilliant pre-season, Abeid looked promising, Sammy again has been outstanding when given the chance recently they all need to get chances ahead of players we know can't do it anymore.

Newcastle

01 Harper

02 Coloccini

03 Jose Enrique

06 Williamson

14 Perch

04 Nolan

07 Barton

10 Routledge (Ameobi 76)

18 Gutierrez (Xisco 80)

09 Carroll

17 Smith  (Taylor 76)

Cherry picking what? This was the team that started a match about 12 months ago.

Or more sensibly:

Krul

Raylor Saylor Colo Santa

Cabaye Tiote

Jonas                    Marv

Barfa

Best

However, that is far from definate. IMO, there is a lot of scope for rotation during injury/loss of form. Only player who are nailed on are:

Krul

Colo

Saylor

Santon

Cabaye

Tiote

Jonas

Barfa

Whereas the other four positions will be a fight between:

Simpson

Raylor

Marveux

Obertan

Vuckic

Best

Ba

Ameobi

Sameobi

So actually, apart from LB and CB, we've got decent squad depth.

(Oh, and I can see Sameobi being the new Carroll. In a good way.)

Guest Rainforest

I used to defend Lovenkrants once. No more, he should be chased away from the stadium come matchday - with pitchforks if necessary.

The same goes for Smith, and to a certain degree, Shola as well.

I honestly believe Shola and Lovenkrants - given 38 full games - would perhaps score 10-12 goals between them, and that for me is just insulting.

I`d rather gamble starting Abeid and Sammy Ameobi, fully taking responsibility for any cock-up a a result of that. I honestly dont think they could do much worse than Loven/Shola even if they tried.

Newcastle

01 Harper

02 Coloccini

03 Jose Enrique

06 Williamson

14 Perch

04 Nolan

07 Barton

10 Routledge (Ameobi 76)

18 Gutierrez (Xisco 80)

09 Carroll

17 Smith  (Taylor 76)

Agreed.

Harper, Williamson, Perch, Nolan, Routeledge and Smith have all been replaced for the better from that line-up, fuck knows how we put 6 past Villa with it.  :lol:

Newcastle

01 Harper

02 Coloccini

03 Jose Enrique

06 Williamson

14 Perch

04 Nolan

07 Barton

10 Routledge (Ameobi 76)

18 Gutierrez (Xisco 80)

09 Carroll

17 Smith  (Taylor 76)

Cherry picking what? This was the team that started a match about 12 months ago.

but no one would put routledge,perch,smith and imo williamson in our standard best 11 from last season.

Newcastle

01 Harper

02 Coloccini

03 Jose Enrique

06 Williamson

14 Perch

04 Nolan

07 Barton

10 Routledge (Ameobi 76)

18 Gutierrez (Xisco 80)

09 Carroll

17 Smith  (Taylor 76)

but no one would put routledge,perch,smith and imo williamson in our standard best 11 from last season.

Didn't say anyone would, just picked a game from about a year ago to see how the line-up had changed.

At the time, no-one had seen Tiote play, Carroll was completely unproven in the Premierleague, question marks hung over Nolan and if he could cut it in the Premiership, Barton hadn't performed during his 3 years, Perch was seen as a 'smart' squad addition, Routledge still hadn't proven himself in the Premiership, then we had Smith being...Smith.

Question marks raised over Marveaux, Ba and Obertan already.

Team against Everton a year ago:

Harper

Perch

Jose Enrique

Williamson

Coloccini

Tiote

Barton

Nolan

Carroll

Routledge

Ben Arfa

Team against West Ham a year ago (Ben Arfa injured of course):

Krul

Simpson

Enrique

Coloccini

Williamson

Nolan

Barton

Tiote

Carroll

Ameobi

Gutierrez

£40m later and........ in all likelihood we haven't made any progress whatsoever.

???

Krul

Simpson

Enrique

Coloccini

Williamson

Nolan

Barton

Tiote

Carroll

Ameobi

Gutierrez

£40m later and........ in all likelihood we haven't made any progress whatsoever.

Perch does really bring the 'average' down there :lol:

Team against Everton a year ago:

Harper

Perch

Jose Enrique

Williamson

Coloccini

Tiote

Barton

Nolan

Carroll

Routledge

Ben Arfa

Krul

Simpson

Enrique

Coloccini

Williamson

Nolan

Barton

Tiote

Carroll

Ameobi

Gutierrez

???

Yes Stuart? Felt the West Ham game was a better representation of our strongest XI  :-*

Ok you changed that, sure that was the Everton side :lol:

I did :bluf: