Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

from .com:

24 hours after having seemingly painted himself into a corner and left us with a defensive headache, Thursday brought renewed optimism that Fabricio Coloccini may not after all have played his last game for the club.

After two days of negotiations between United and the player's representatives had failed to alter his desire for an immediate departure from Tyneside, the reality of the situation now belatedly seems to have hit home to him.

With the tale of a cash-strapped Argentinian club offering a supposed "lifeline" for him to return home now binned, the fiscal reality of defaulting on the deal he extended in 2012 looks to have been made abundantly clear; not just in risking loss of earnings and fines, but also becoming embroiled in costly legal proceedings that would halt this playing career - and that he'd most probably lose.

The first hurdle was cleared when the player turned up at Darsley Park on Thursday morning and photos were then released showing him training with the rest of the squad under the supervision of manager Alan Pardew.

And although there was no public comment by player or club, with Thursday's press call only to introduce new signing Yoann Gouffran and not featuring Pardew, intimations of a possible compromise deal featured in various online newspaper columns later on Thursday. A buyout figure of £7m also cropped up more than once.

The suggestion looks to be that some form of concession has been offered and is under consideration by the player that sees him remain on Tyneside for the remainder of this season before settling his future in the summer.

While still a less than perfect scenario, it would allow some breathing space for the club in terms of not needing to recruit in that position before the end of the month, not to mention taking a little bit of pressure off the new arrivals, in particular Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.

What does remain to be seen though is whether Colo would retain the captain's armband if he remained in situ, with the power balance in the dressing room looking to have shifted significantly towards Yohan Cabaye.

My own feeling is that he may have had sudden news of a family member's long term terminal illness, causing a sudden urge to return home etc.  Like I say, just a feeling.

Its my feeling he just can't fucking stand working under Pardew. Maybe promises made by the regime when he resigned his contract have not been met. Would maybe go a long way to explaining why a player who so so desperately wants out hasn't gone as far as handing in a transfer request. Strange eh?

My own feeling is that he may have had sudden news of a family member's long term terminal illness, causing a sudden urge to return home etc.  Like I say, just a feeling.

Its my feeling he just can't fucking stand working under Pardew. Maybe promises made by the regime when he resigned his contract have not been met. Would maybe go a long way to explaining why a player who so so desperately wants out hasn't gone as far as handing in a transfer request. Strange eh?

Just doesn't seem plausible to me tbh.

Some of the stick Coloccini has had from people who haven't got a clue about what is going on is mad.  He's a class player and always seems to want to do his best for us, even when things haven't been going well for him during games.

I hope he remains captain as I don't see any reason to kick him while he's down and he clearly will be as for some unknown reason he does/did want to leave the club.

He seems to have gone from here to zero in no time because of his wish to leave yet none of us actually know what has happened between him and his family or him and the club.  I'm not sure it's safe to assume that the player is always at fault when things go wrong.  Something has clearly gone wrong, he's gone from being a model pro who always gave his best to a player who wants away and that doesn't happen without reason.

Some of the stick Coloccini has had from people who haven't got a clue about what is going on is mad.  He's a class player and always seems to want to do his best for us, even when things haven't been going well for him during games.

I hope he remains captain as I don't see any reason to kick him while he's down and he clearly will be as for some unknown reason he does/did want to leave the club.

He seems to have gone from here to zero in no time because of his wish to leave yet none of us actually know what has happened between him and his family or him and the club.  I'm not sure it's safe to assume that the player is always at fault when things go wrong.  Something has clearly gone wrong, he's gone from being a model pro who always gave his best to a player who wants away and that doesn't happen without reason.

A massive part of the problem for us is exactly that and it's been going on for weeks. We don't need all the details, just some clarification of what we're actually dealing with would be helpful.

fwiw I don't know what to believe but I can see why the lack of information is making some people rather uneasy.

How is there a lack of information? The guy has personal problems and he wants to leave. Why should you be privy to the exact nature of his problems? Do you expect that you or anyone else will be able to solve them for him if you were to know of its exact nature?

He's been the best captain we've had for so many years. He's also the best defender I've ever seen at this club so he'll get a lot of leeway from me before I criticise him for his actions. He hasn't said a thing publicly which would rock the boat and he hasn't put the club's reputation on the line as well. He's acted like a true professional through all of this, keeping quiet and doing business behind closed doors, where it belongs. He's also played and trained as normal, another mark of a true professional. He deserves no criticism, even if he in the end he chose to leave.

A player who wants to leave can still be a model pro. At least he's not posting on Twitter about the club holding him hostage or crying his eyes out in a press conference saying he wants to leave. He has been quiet and has gotten on with his life whilst trying to solve the situation professionally and quietly. What more can you expect?

How is there a lack of information? The guy has personal problems and he wants to leave. Why should you be privy to the exact nature of his problems? Do you expect that you or anyone else will be able to solve them for him if you were to know of its exact nature?

He's been the best captain we've had for so many years. He's also the best defender I've ever seen at this club so he'll get a lot of leeway from me before I criticise him for his actions. He hasn't said a thing publicly which would rock the boat and he hasn't put the club's reputation on the line as well. He's acted like a true professional through all of this, keeping quiet and doing business behind closed doors, where it belongs. He's also played and trained as normal, another mark of a true professional. He deserves no criticism, even if he in the end he chose to leave.

I agree with your expect for the part in the end. It would depend on how he leaves. If he waits till the end of the season and come to a mutual agreement with the club then that is fine. But if he walks out on us whilst we're in the middle of a relegation fight, then he deserves no respect. If it is a personal problem, I'm sure the club can consider giving him a few weeks compassionate leave. He can of course retire from football if it is really serious and he absolutely has to be back for a longer period.

A player who wants to leave can still be a model pro. At least he's not posting on Twitter about the club holding him hostage or crying his eyes out in a press conference saying he wants to leave. He has been quiet and has gotten on with his life whilst trying to solve the situation professionally and quietly. What more can you expect?

Agree that his behavior with regards to communication is not unprofessional although as captain, some words to pacify the club/fans wouldn't have gone amiss. The bigger problem is that you seem to assume (correct me if I'm wrong), that a player can still be considered professional if he wants to leave after signing a contract even if the club does not agree with it. Like I said if it is a personal problem, depending on the gravity of the problem, there are other ways to resolve this than the player walking out of the club and leaving us to fight relegation without our captain.

I still hold him in the highest regard.  He's obviously got some problems that are bigger than football but he hasn't stiffed us, he hasn't done a Tevez and just p*ssed off.  He seems to have been maintaining a dignified silence and engaging constructively with the club to resolve the situation like a man rather than just throwing his toys out of the pram like a lot of these overgrown children would.

He's been a great servant to the club and a great captain and if he does need to leave due to issues in his private life then I wish him well and send him on his way with thanks.

His dad and San Lorenzo can p*ss of though.  c***s.

I don't get people just saying they are fine if he leaves. Surely what matters and the point of the whole discussion is how he leaves us. Of course if there is an agreement between the club and him and we either gave him some compensionate leave or sell him at more or less market value, then that is fine. Anything else and especially if he walks out of the club because he does not get his way would not be acceptable. Whilst we can all understand that some issues are bigger than football, the club can't just let player go because they have personal problems.

I'm certain that those barracking Colo here wouldn't be doing so if we were soaring at the moment. Personal problems can just pop up in your face at any time. Colo never intended it to be this way, as he signed a long term deal just a few months back. It also came to him so suddenly, as you never heard anything about it in the months before December. It just mushroomed, and sadly, it's come at a time when the club is facing some problems of its own. And such problems just make the football irrelevant, unfortunately for a struggling team like us.

If Colo manages to stay at least till the end of the season, then he's a legend in my view. Takes a true man to keep all of this within himself as humanely possible while still gracefully leading a Premier League club out of one of its deepest holes yet. Needless to say, the circumstances he is in would mean that it wouldn't surprise me either if he goes now, but I will still hold him in my highest regard. Impressive how he kept his head down, trained and played as normal when in an absolute rut. Nothing at all like Tevez. That's why I'm not the biggest fan of those who say "He's the cpatain ffs." He's human more than anything.

I don't get people just saying they are fine if he leaves. Surely what matters and the point of the whole discussion is how he leaves us. Of course if there is an agreement between the club and him and we either gave him some compensionate leave or sell him at more or less market value, then that is fine. Anything else and especially if he walks out of the club because he does not get his way would not be acceptable. Whilst we can all understand that some issues are bigger than football, the club can't just let player go because they have personal problems.

That sounds very much like you don't understand some issues are bigger than football.

That sounds very much like you don't understand some issues are bigger than football.

Of course I do and we can sympathize on a personal level but it does not mean that a player can do whatever he wants including walking out of the club when he has signed a contract. The resolution must be mutually agreeable coz like it or not, the club has paid good money for the player. Like I said, there is no reason why the club can't give him compassionate leave. What do you propose, that a player can just walk out on a contract because of personal reasons? Where does it end?

:thup:

Looks like he at least has to see the season out, I would suspect that Decker's and Ashley's solicitors have ran legal loops round him and his representatives.

Hopefully, by this time we can change his mind in the summer.