Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Couldn't find this posted anywhere else:

Newcastle have suffered a potential blow with news that captain Fabricio Coloccini has returned from Argentina with a thigh injury.

Argentina are playing Uruguay in Montevideo on Tuesday night but Coloccini has been ruled out of the game.

Toon boss Alan Pardew is limited with centre-back replacements.

Steven Taylor has missed the last fortnight with a hamstring problem but could be fit for Liverpool’s visit to St James’s Park on Saturday.

Mike Williamson looks certain to start after stepping in for Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa after his horror show at Everton.

The French defender’s confidence took a battering that night but he may have to get over that quickly if Taylor is ruled out this weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2460665/Fabricio-Coloccini-thigh-injury--defender-flies-home-Argentina-duty.html

Ron is such a jilted ex over Colo these days :(

I'm just saying what I see, man. I love Colo but I'm not gonna pretend I see a top defender there anymore because I don't. I see a very fine footballer who's become a bit of an easy mark for strikers because of his waning physicality and sharpness.

unfortunate if he's out. Not that it will make all that much of a difference, his lack of pace vs sturridge is not a pleasant thought

I'm hoping Taylor is picked ahead of MYM as well, no better opportunity to prove his qualities than against Sturridge and Suarez alongside fellow Brit Mike Williamson.

unfortunate if he's out. Not that it will make all that much of a difference, his lack of pace vs sturridge is not a pleasant thought

I'm hoping Taylor is picked ahead of MYM as well, no better opportunity to prove his qualities than against Sturridge and Suarez alongside fellow Brit Mike Williamson.

Really hoping this is sarcasm

No, I think we need some clarity on this issue for some fans and college dropouts. We'll probably lose either way, might as well learn something from the experience.

No, I think we need some clarity on this issue for some fans and college dropouts. We'll probably lose either way, might as well learn something from the experience.

I think we already know what this experience will be like.

I'm just saying what I see, man. I love Colo but I'm not gonna pretend I see a top defender there anymore because I don't. I see a very fine footballer who's become a bit of an easy mark for strikers because of his waning physicality and sharpness.

Spot on.

Spot on.

He's lost his edge, absolutely.

any combination of our cbs is going to get destroyed. Putting MYM in there could kill his confidence permanently tbh its taken a fair old battering.

any combination of our cbs is going to get destroyed. Putting MYM in there could kill his confidence permanently tbh its taken a fair old battering.

I'm a horses for courses man. MYM is probably the best equipped defender to deal with either Sturridge or Suarez if he's given a clearly defined role and sticks to it. But next to either Taylor or Willo I can see him getting confused so I'd rather he is left out of this game as well.

Guest Roger Kint

Spot on.

Yep, totally agree

Kamara was absolutely raving about his performance on G.O.S the day after Cardiff.

He's the best CH on our books by a long way and I don't understand why some see him now as an "easy mark for strikers". We would be in The Championship if he had not of returned towards the end of last season.

Guest neesy111

Kamara was absolutely raving about his performance on G.O.S the day after Cardiff.

He's the best CH on our books by a long way and I don't understand why some see him now as an "easy mark for strikers". We would be in The Championship if he had not of returned towards the end of last season.

Did you forget his performances in the previous 2 games then?

100 times this. I don't know where this trend for hammering our own players based on fairly minor downturns has come from. Everyone is at it at the moment.

Guest neesy111

100 times this. I don't know where this trend for hammering our own players based on fairly minor downturns has come from. Everyone is at it at the moment.

There's a surprise.

There's a surprise.

Neesy man, I wish you'd just actually debate the point. You're quite a decent poster when you bother.

We wouldn't have been down there fighting to stave of relegation if he had bothered to act as any captain should, and not push to abandon the sinking ship in January. Colo is still probably our best defender, but there's no denying he's not been as majestic for over a season now, as he was before, first season excluded.